Re: Setting up gmail to automatically cc/bcc yourself

Message has been deleted

Dodo

Feb 4, 2011, 11:03:36 PM2/4/11
to Gmail-Users
Don't know the answer, Judie, but it's a very interesting question.
Why don't you suggest it as a lab?

On Feb 4, 2:51 pm, Judie LC <judi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, All,
>
> I searched the archives but wasn't able to find an answer to this question.
>
> Is there anyway to set up gmail to automatically include a cc or bcc to your
> own email address (the email address from which you are sending)? I want to
> be able to do this when I am sending gmail email from the web.
>
> I tried to do it by setting up a filter that had all email sent from "
> U...@gmail.com" automatically sent to "U...@gmail.com" but gmail won't let
> you filter email that way.
>
> I find it odd that this setting doesn't exist, as i am able to set this up
> when I download email to my computer mail app.
>
> But in this case, I want to send from webmail and cc/bcc myself without
> having to remember to do it each time.
>
> Don't know if this is possible, but would appreciate any ideas or solutions
> that might be available.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Judie

Andy

Feb 5, 2011, 2:15:51 PM2/5/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I am slightly curious why you want to do this.

Of course there is a copy of your sent message that is saved in your
Gmail already. So it must not be because you want a copy.

Is it because you want Gmail's saved copy to show up in your Inbox?
Or perhaps because you are using POP to download your email to your
PC, and the sent message isn't showing up there?

Andy

Sarah Hill

Feb 5, 2011, 9:57:09 PM2/5/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I'm not certain; but I think you might be able to manage to get
something to work with "plus addressing". I've not tried & I'm sure
someone will correct, if I'm wrong.
If you are not familiar with it you can find details in help;
basically, after your user name, "user" you can add "+" and any
combination of letters, numbers and symbols that gmail accepts as
valid characters.
So for example, you could use something like."user+m...@gmail.com"
(also gmail ignores dots & capitals in your username, so as far as
gmail is concerned "us...@gmail.com" is the same as "us....@gmail.com")

Andy

Feb 5, 2011, 10:35:52 PM2/5/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
> I'm not certain; but I think you might be able to manage to get
> something to work with "plus addressing".

The problem with Filters is that they don't work the same on outgoing
messages as they do on incoming. Some of the filter actions are
simply non-functional on outgoing messages ... including
auto-forwarding them to *any* address.

I keep trying it, but it never works. Yet the same exact filter can
star a message or attach a label, and it works.

Andy

Just_Joe

Feb 5, 2011, 12:19:55 PM2/5/11
to Gmail-Users
Just curious... what's the difference (to you, I mean--especially if
you're using Gmail's browser interface) between having this 'cc/bcc
everything to yourself' function and having everything you send in
[the] Sent Mail [label/folder]?

Marko Vukovic

Feb 5, 2011, 7:15:49 PM2/5/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
On 5 February 2011 00:51, Judie LC <jud...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, All,

I searched the archives but wasn't able to find an answer to this question.

Hi Judy

Try searching the web too ;)

Is there anyway to set up gmail to automatically include a cc or bcc to your own email address (the email address from which you are sending)? I want to be able to do this when I am sending gmail email from the web.

Like Andy, I'm also puzzled as to why you want this but anyway, here's what a bit of Googling turns up:
Note that to use this you will need to be using Firefox and install the Greasemonkey addon, or Chrome with Greasemetal.

Cheers
--
Marko

Andy

Feb 6, 2011, 4:10:12 PM2/6/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 19:15, Marko Vukovic <marko....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Like Andy, I'm also puzzled as to why you want this ...

Actually, I am less puzzled than curious ... since I've wanted to do
the same exact thing, but couldn't make it work either.

In my case, I think the reason for wanting it was something like the
following. I was using POP to my PC most of the time then, except
occasionally when I'd login directly to Gmail's web interface. But if
I sent messages when logged in that way, they wouldn't show up on my
PC later, unless I also cc'd myself. Gmail would happily file it away
under Sent Mail, but wouldn't make it available for downloading.

Recently, I ran into the problem again, because I wanted to forward
certain emails to a different account, including ones that I send from
Gmail. Again, I had to manually cc or bcc the other account, because
any Gmail Filters would work on incoming emails but never on outgoing
emails.

Arrgh...

> Note that to use this you will need to be using Firefox

I gave up on using Firefox months ago, after repeated times. And I
ain't goin' back no more. It is simply not worth it.

Andy

Marko Vukovic

Feb 6, 2011, 4:17:36 PM2/6/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com

I gave up on using Firefox months ago, after repeated times.  And I
ain't goin' back no more.  It is simply not worth it.

That's why I wrote 'or Chrome'... ;)

--
Marko

Zack (Doc)

Feb 6, 2011, 7:12:42 PM2/6/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Rather than using POP, use IMAP from your home client.  Then you'll have the sent mail, drafts, even the trash.  And if you read something or "file" it, the actions are reflected back to your online client, so they're in-sync.

And for those other accounts, there's the link Marko provided.

Andy

Feb 6, 2011, 11:56:26 PM2/6/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 19:12, Zack (Doc) <za...@tnan.net> wrote:
> Rather than using POP, use IMAP from your home client.  Then you'll have the
> sent mail, drafts, even the trash.

Yes, that would have worked, if I had been using IMAP back then.

And this is partly what prompted my question to Judie about why she
wanted to cc/bcc herself. Perhaps she had the same problem I did, and
could have fixed it by switching to IMAP.

> And for those other accounts, there's the link Marko provided.

Yeah, I missed that he said there was a solution for Chrome too.

Thanks,
Andy

Message has been deleted

Marko Vukovic

Feb 10, 2011, 7:02:56 AM2/10/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com

On 10 February 2011 05:02, Judie LC <jud...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for all the responses.

To answer the "why", the gmail account in question is used for a workgroup and is currently set up to forward all incoming mail to the workgroup members' personal email accounts, so that we all get the mail right away, without having to specifically sign into the account on the web. However, sent mail is not forwarded in the same manner. So unless we cc or bcc our gmail account, we can't see if an email has been responded to unless we specifically log into the account on the web ourselves.

We came up with the idea of sending a bcc to the account every time one of us responds to an email, and in that way we all get a copy of the sent message in our personal email.

However, it would be nice if we could set this up to be done automatically, rather than having to remember to do it ourselves each time. Just a convenience factor, that's all.

Hi Judie

So why not create yourself a group, just like this one but restricted? http://groups.google.com/

Regards
--
Marko
Message has been deleted

Marko Vukovic

Feb 11, 2011, 10:44:10 PM2/11/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com

On 11 February 2011 22:13, Judie LC <jud...@gmail.com> wrote:
Because we need an email address at which people who are not members of the group can reach us. A google group would not work for our needs.

Because that's the point of groups. See Group settings->Access->Who can post messages?
Set that to 'Anyone can post'. You even have the option 'Hold messages from non-members for moderation'

But thanks for the suggestion.

But you're welcome!

--
Marko

Andy

Feb 12, 2011, 12:32:30 AM2/12/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I don't see how a group would help, either. You still need to
remember to CC or BCC an address (either your own, or the group's),
wouldn't you?

JohnW

Feb 12, 2011, 7:29:43 AM2/12/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Since Gmail is intended for Personal e-mail usage only, such a feature is NOT available to users of Gmail.
Business users are encouraged to sign up for a Google Apps Account - there are two types: free and paid for. Both will provide you with your own domain, which can be hosted by Google for you.
The free Standard account allows your Domain admin to specify all the e-mail addresses for you, as well as set up all the features you may need. After that, you're very much on your own as it is a free service.
The Premier account (which costs $50/yr per seat) provides you with access to Google's Tech Support staff, so if you don't have an IT section then those guys will help you get everything set up, as well as being there should things go wrong!! If your business relies on e-mail (and so many do these days!) then this could be a life-saver, and perhaps the best couple of hundred dollars you'll ever spend. There are many other benefits to business users, such as much higher sending limits from the domain - but the greatest advantage is that your outgoing mail is less likely to be blocked or wrongly labelled as spam since it won't be originating from the gmail.com domain. Besides, it is rather more "professional" to have your own domain when you're in business!!

Marko Vukovic

Feb 12, 2011, 6:03:37 AM2/12/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
No, all the email addresses are already added/subscribed to the group. Any member sends a single email to the group address and all members are sent a copy, in exactly the same way as this gmail-users group works.

Ciao
--
Marko

Andy

Feb 12, 2011, 11:24:03 AM2/12/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
> No, all the email addresses are already added/subscribed to the group. Any
> member sends a single email to the group address and all members are sent a
> copy, in exactly the same way as this gmail-users group works.

I think that happens already, because they all share the same
workgroup address. There is only one address to subscribe to the
group (their own), so it doesn't save you anything ... having a Google
Group with only one member.

The problem comes when one of them sends an email to an outside
address, perhaps to a customer. Unless they remember to CC or BCC
themselves, their co-workers never see that outgoing message. (At
least I think that's what the problem is.)

Andy

Marko Vukovic

Feb 12, 2011, 6:13:02 PM2/12/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
On 11 February 2011 22:13, Judie LC <jud...@gmail.com> wrote:
Because we need an email address at which people who are not members of the group can reach us. A google group would not work for our needs.

I see. I guess it's back to the GmailAutoBcc script then ;)

Ciao
--
Marko

Zack (Doc)

Aug 23, 2012, 11:56:33 AM8/23/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
You don't have the Mac Mail set up to use IMAP?   If so, your Sent folder should synchronize to your Sent Label and you'll have that access.  Additionally, read/unread status will also be synchronized.

If you have some other reason for using POP instead of IMAP within Mac Mail, you should be able to set up a filter in GMail that matches "from:me" and add a label, such as "inbox", to them.  It might complain that it won't work; but I have used similar ones that do indeed work.

Zack

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Reid <reid....@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm not nearly as script/filter-literate as everyone else here, but I'd like to cc/bcc myself on all outgoing gmail messages as well.

The problem is I use Mac Mail from my office, but often need use the browser instead while I'm traveling.

The two don't sync properly, hence wanting myself cc'd on all outgoing messages from the browser so they'll show up in Mac Mail as well.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers,

-reid

Zack (Doc)

Aug 31, 2012, 4:16:02 PM8/31/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
First off, I'd say if you're using GMail as a super-inbox, why stop there.  At home have Thunderbird not collect from the others, but indeed collect from GMail, again no duplicates.  You can set it up as IMAP, and you'll retain your label structure, as well as being able to directly download from the "Sent Mail" label.

Alternately, if you turn on the IMAP, you can choose to ONLY download the Sent Mail label.

But if you're "super-inboxing" it... why even bother with Thunderbird.  Just use the web interface to GMail, and always have the same look/feel and all your messages sorted the way you want.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Cage_and_Fish <ess...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, the answer is simple, as I am having the same problem:

I am using GMail at work as personal mail in a very restricted workspace with the Internet Explorer and no chance for using scripts or extensions (Yes, I am allowed to do my private e-mails at work... ;-)). GMail collects copies of all mails from my other e-mail-accounts without deleting them, so it works as a "super-inbox". Plus, I can send e-mails via GMail that spoof the header to

At home I use Thunderbird with POP-download to one inbox of all accounts except for GMail, just to avoid double copies.

Which leads to a perfect overview over all of my e-mail at work and at home, just with one problem: The sent messages from GMail can´t be found at home without using the online interface of GMail.

I don't know how to train Thunderbird just to download the sent messages from the GMail-account, so for me a permanent BCC would be the only solution to solve the problem.

Suggestions?

Elihu

Oct 7, 2012, 7:18:30 AM10/7/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
You can use outlook in the 3 offices and set up a rule in outlook that will cc you automatically.

On Monday, October 1, 2012, Anuj Kumar Rawla wrote:

Why I need it is as follows.

I have 3 small offices. We all use one particular Gmail account. I insist on that as I can then see all work related emails that go out. I have purchased additional storage space for that account as the email traffic is quite heavy.

I use a Blackberry handset. Now every time I open my Mail Application in BB it shows me in ONE PLACE all the emails from my various accounts including BOTH incoming as well as SENT mails. This way each time I open the MAIL Application in BB, I am instantly made aware of even the SENT emails. This is a huge thing for me as it allows me to stay on top of the work going on in all 3 offices.

Now I recently purchased a Samsung S3 running Android. This feature is not available on the same. They just have a combined email IN BOX. Now each time I want to see the emails sent out by the office, I have to access another icon by going to the GMAIL App. Select that particular account and then choose the SENT BOX to see what the work being sent out by my various teams.

This is so very important to me that I am contemplating staying with my old Blackberry Handset and giving up on that shiny new Samsung S3, unless I can get this automated CC or BCC going so as to overcome the way the mail program functions in Android.

I need to be aware INSTANTLY of both INCOMING & SENT Message!!!

:-(

Regards

Anuj

VRRT

Oct 7, 2012, 7:34:04 AM10/7/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com

Expensive.

From: Elihu <eli...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 13:18:30 +0200
Subject: Re: [Gmail-Users] Re: Setting up gmail to automatically cc/bcc yourself

Zack (Doc)

Oct 7, 2012, 11:42:22 AM10/7/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
So are your Blackberry and Samsung, and potentially losing business by not having what you want.  Besides, it is a solution he's suggesting, which is basically what you asked for.

In place of Outlook, there are several free offline mail readers you could use with the same functionality.

Another option which allows you this level of visibility and removes the human element (people in the offices could delete sent or received mails and they might disappear from your mobile device), is to create another GMail (or other free account) account and have all mail sent and received from there forwarded to this other account, which is what you check from your mobile device.  Since they don't have access to this other account, they can't control it.

Relatedly, an option that MIGHT work, though I've never tried it, is a GMail filter that matches "from:me" and has the action to forward to you.  Filters "don't work on outgoing mail", but that's not always true.

Ultimately, GMail does not have a built in feature to cc/bcc yourself, as that would be redundant.  The account already contains every message you sent; which you've demonstrated on your Samsung, just not where you'd like to see it.

Andy

Oct 8, 2012, 6:10:19 PM10/8/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
> Relatedly, an option that MIGHT work, though I've never tried it, is a GMail
> filter that matches "from:me" and has the action to forward to you. ...

I have tried that (and variations on it), to forward my outgoing
emails to a Google Apps account, and it did not work.

> ... Filters
> "don't work on outgoing mail", but that's not always true.

I can't say with certainty, but this seems to be a case where it is
true. The filter(s) did not work on my outgoing mail. Oh well.

Andy

Zack (Doc)

Oct 8, 2012, 8:03:35 PM10/8/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
After I hit send, it occurred to me that the times I noticed it didn't work was in forwarding... but in labelling, it worked.

Zack (Doc)

Oct 12, 2012, 7:32:51 PM10/12/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Auto BCC would hit every message, not just the ones with a waiting reply.  You can label a message as you compose, or with a filter, which would give you the functionality you just described.

Glad you got what you wanted with the add-ons.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Sam Razz <lema...@gmail.com> wrote:

Like Andy, I'm also puzzled as to why you want this

I'd like to be able to set this up.  In my case, if the next action on an email I sent is waiting for a reply, I BCC to myself, label it as "waiting", then archive it into a "waiting" multiple inbox.  I then check at least once a day to see if I need to follow up on anyone who has still been delegated a task.  I have a couple friends who do this as well.

Thanks for the add-ons.  Solved this problem quickly.

Zack (Doc)

Oct 13, 2012, 7:54:15 PM10/13/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I actually can label messages as I compose, and I just did.  You can find dozens of howto's online for how to do it.  And from what you described in your subject to auto-bcc, the following filter would do exactly the same thing:

find "from:me"
action "label:waiting"

Like I said, I'm glad the add-ins worked for you, but to help others who may not want to add add-ins, I thought it important to indicate that these other methods actually work.

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Sam Razz <lema...@gmail.com> wrote:
You actually can't label messages as you compose nor is filtering as efficient as my method: We've developed this system in our projects and have tried both.

I am aware it hits every message and it's not a problem.

Thanks.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gmail-users/-/bqU3eBA0Un0J.

Zack (Doc)

Oct 16, 2012, 10:09:40 PM10/16/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
As stated earlier in this thread... you can't use a filter to forward an outgoing mail.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Christian Bedard <christian...@gmail.com> wrote:
Om I try to do the following filtre:

Matches: from:me
Do this: Apply label "AutoBCC", Forward to example..@email.com

I get the label working but not the forward, please help !

In a nutshell, is there a real and simple way to bcc outgoing email form Gmail ?
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gmail-users/-/5wLMBYUv7TUJ.

Zack (Doc)

Oct 26, 2012, 8:21:35 PM10/26/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Thinking about it, I figured a way that should work.

Turn on IMAP, and make sure your "Sent Items" label is available.  Run a machine with a mail client to monitor that IMAP folder, and run a filter/rule on it to forward the messages to Salesforce.  No matter who's using the account anywhere, the sent mail will automatically show up in that folder.

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM, mail distress <mark....@anychart.com> wrote:
I have tried to read through this discussion to determine if there is a way to Auto BCC all sent mail and outside of running some scripts on each machine for each browser type (impossible btw for 500 people).   I need this feature so that every email I send out shows up in Salesforce and gets attached to each account.  I use mail for mail and Salesforce to handle all account information for every person in the company.  Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Mark

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:10:04 PM UTC-6, Zack Tennant wrote:
As stated earlier in this thread... you can't use a filter to forward an outgoing mail.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Christian Bedard <christian...@gmail.com> wrote:
Om I try to do the following filtre:

Matches: from:me
Do this: Apply label "AutoBCC", Forward to exam...@email.com
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/gmail-users/-/giDhRhtLDFUJ.
Message has been deleted

Zack (Doc)

Jan 24, 2013, 10:28:00 PM1/24/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
I disagree completely.  This is not an "obvious shortcoming", or "clearly broken", and not a basic flaw.  If you are using the web interface, you always have a copy of the message in your sent mail, so what's the point of BCC'ing yourself.  If you're using an offline client, you can use IMAP to have it available, and could use the client's BCC function.

I have never wanted to BCC myself in any client I've ever had, never seen the point.  And I still can't get my head wrapped around why someone would need to on EVERY e-mail.  If you want an occasional one, you can manually do it.

Just cause you want a feature does not mean it's a flaw to not have it.  And, how many times have you suggested it to Google?  Many of the features I've seen suggested more than a few times show up as a lab or a direct feature.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM, sassan hazeghi <sassan....@gmail.com> wrote:
It seems everyone is trying to figure out how best to outsmart the basic flaw in the gmail web interface.

Allowing for auto self BCC (and often having it to be the default setting), has been possible in just about any mail interface I have used so far (unix, emacs, all the way to the iPhone mail app) but not in the gmail web interface.  Why not make this obvious shortcoming as visible to Google as possible so that rather than just fiddling with gmail's cosmetics, they fix something that is clearly broken ?

On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 3:47:07 AM UTC-8, Andreas Wohlfeld wrote:
If you want to get a copy of sent mails to one or more PC email clients, then do this:
Create a filter with from == your email, skip inbox and add a label of your choice ("self-copy"), never mark as spam.
You will get a new folder with all your sent-emails marked read/seen.
Now set up IMAP and get your PC client to just sync the label folder ("self-copy") and tell the IMAP client to always get all mails and delete them (i.e. delete the label in gmail).
With fetchmail this is done by using "folder 'self-copy'" and "fetchall".
I'm using procmail so I have my .procmailrc to write those emails to my usual sent-mail location.

Am Dienstag, 27. November 2012 01:02:18 UTC+1 schrieb cdhodgdon:
I just tried using these settings as below and gmail only shows filters for incoming emails.  How did you get this to work with an outgoing?

On Monday, November 5, 2012 8:45:52 AM UTC-6, Gianpiero Porchia wrote:
SOLVED this,

the gmail filters are working also for outgoing email.

Configure the filter like this:

- From: your email address
- Forward: your email address
- Enable never send to spam (IMPORTANT!)

Best regards.

Gian

Il giorno venerdì 26 ottobre 2012 18:21:49 UTC+2, mail distress ha scritto:
[...]

Kenneth Ayers

Jan 25, 2013, 12:16:21 AM1/25/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
What is "auto self BCC?"  It sounds like automatically receiving copies of the emails that you send from your Gmail account which is what you will find in your "Sent Mail" label as Zack said.  I don't know what complications arise from using Gmail with an email client but just using the regular web interface for Gmail works fine.

There are some unexpected effects if you send an email TO an address which you've defined within Gmail's "Send mail as" options as one FROM which you may send emails, especially if you've also selected the "treat as an alias" option.  A Gmail help page that explains what to expect when using these options is here:  http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1710338&ctx=gmail

Sean Murphy

Jan 25, 2013, 6:41:58 AM1/25/13
to gmail-users

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:37 AM, Peter Bowers wrote:
I have personally suggested this to gmail roughly 25 times in the appropriate group over a period of several years

    When you say the appropriate group, what group do you mean? The only place I am familiar with for suggesting a feature is the "suggest a feature" page in Gmail Help (and even a casual search of the archive on this user group will turn up dozens of references to how to suggest a feature). I have only written in (or voted on the ones that are popular enough to have made it to the listed suggestions) hundreds of times over the years. I have never heard of a group for suggesting features, but then, I haven't had any I wanted to suggest for a couple of years now, so maybe there is a link to this group in Gmail Help?

Peter Bowers

Jan 25, 2013, 7:09:58 AM1/25/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Sean Murphy <smpa...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:37 AM, Peter Bowers wrote:
I have personally suggested this to gmail roughly 25 times in the appropriate group over a period of several years

    When you say the appropriate group, what group do you mean?

(Sorry - not sure if this group prefers top- or bottom-posting...)

It used to be there was a discussion where google took suggestions (it may not have been a group -- more just a series of comments like a forum but little or no discussion and just a lot of one idea after another).  Then they came up with the "suggest a feature" page in Gmail Help which I believe is the only place now.

-Peter

Zack (Doc)

Jan 25, 2013, 8:26:14 AM1/25/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
You're putting words into my mouth... I never said it was pointless, I said I didn't see the point.  Just cause one person does not see it, does not make it pointless, and I intentionally stated it that way on purpose.  Your analogy of a car without an engine is inaccurate.  The email engine is the ability to send and receive mail, GMail absolutely does this.  A more appropriate analogy could be a car's GPS that automatically plots your route back home every time you start it and are not at home already.  Some people would consider this very important, others handy, and some, useless and annoying.  I'd be in the annoying category, (both the analogy and the BCC) but would have no problem with it being an option that the others could turn on.

I, too, share an e-mail address with my wife, and have absolutely no problem manually BCC'ing the account when I need her to see the messages.  Did you see the message from Kenneth, that might work as a solution as well.

Again, words in my mouth, I never claimed to represent the world, or a standard to measure against.  But since you bring it up, I *HAVE* seen bugs fixed, and features added, both as standard features and as labs... I've also seen labs that *I* found very helpful and useful go away because not enough people did.  That's the nature of the beast.

There has never been an official group for suggestions of features, only the labs ever used groups as suggestion points.  The Help page "suggest a feature" has been there since the beginning, and has always been the only way to ensure Google sees your suggestion.  Since you believe I'm calling myself the ultimate authority, I should say that not all suggestions, that I or others have made, are implemented.

Online petitions of over 10,000 signatures often fall on deaf ears, so I'd suspect 673 signatures hasn't even piqued an interest, but lest I be accused again, I am not a Google employee, expert, or world representative.  I merely represent my personal opinion, based on 8 years of GMail usage, and 20 years of data networking, but it's just my opinion.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:37 AM, Peter Bowers <plbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Friday, January 25, 2013 4:28:00 AM UTC+1, Zack Tennant wrote:
I disagree completely.  This is not an "obvious shortcoming", or "clearly broken", and not a basic flaw.  If you are using the web interface, you always have a copy of the message in your sent mail, so what's the point of BCC'ing yourself.  If you're using an offline client, you can use IMAP to have it available, and could use the client's BCC function.
I have never wanted to BCC myself in any client I've ever had, never seen the point.  And I still can't get my head wrapped around why someone would need to on EVERY e-mail.  If you want an occasional one, you can manually do it.

So because you've never needed the feature then it's a pointless feature?!  There's a reason why the vast majority of email clients support this feature -- lots of people NEED it.  Can they work around it using something like your suggested offline client with IMAP?  Yes.  But if I had a car with no engine I could still push it down the road but that wouldn't keep me from suggesting that they add the engine -- and it wouldn't stop me from saying that the lack of an engine was a flaw in the design!

My wife and I have separate gmail accounts fed by a single forwarding address so that we get the same copies of all incoming emails.  That leaves our inboxes sync'd, but I'd like out "sent mail' to be sync'd as well.  I would like to set up an auto-BCC using plus addressing and filters so that all my sent mail and all her sent mail automatically goes into the other person's sent mail for searchability.

You'll note there is no offline client here and we're not dealing with some complex business situation.  Just a simple situation with a couple who would like their "sent mail" folders to be sync'd as well as their inboxes.  It is normal, basic functionality for email clients and gmail's lack of it is a shortcoming/flaw.

Just cause you want a feature does not mean it's a flaw to not have it.  And, how many times have you suggested it to Google?  Many of the features I've seen suggested more than a few times show up as a lab or a direct feature.

And just because you personally don't need a feature doesn't mean you represent the world or are the new "standard" by which all others must measure themselves.

I have personally suggested this to gmail roughly 25 times in the appropriate group over a period of several years in addition to asking friends to do the same in addition to signing the online petition to have the feature (673 signatures to date -- see http://www.petitiononline.com/gmailbcc/petition.html)

To date, as far as I can tell, zero/zip/nada from the google team.

-Peter

Peter Bowers

Jan 25, 2013, 1:55:09 PM1/25/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com

I apologize for the tone of my response. It was unnecessarily combative. Please forgive me.

Marko Vukovic

Feb 1, 2013, 6:53:30 AM2/1/13
to gmail-users
You should take a look at ActiveInbox[1] for that, it has features
that do exactly what you want.

[1] http://www.activeinboxhq.com/

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:19 PM, glowstrz <glow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can tell you why I'd like this feature and it seems pretty logical to me.
> I have been using personal Gmail since it started in Beta and loved every
> second of it. BUT, Two days ago, my company started using GMail Apps or
> Gmail for business. A feature that I've had in both Mac Mail (feature) and
> Outlook (rule) is to BCC myself on every e-mail I send, is a feature I got
> used to. HERE'S WHY: I use my Inbox as a way of seeing what I still need to
> take care of. Meaning: mail that is new coming in from other people as well
> as a way to see who I need to follow up with, meaning e-mails I've sent out
> and gotten no response from. I use my Inbox as part of my follow-up method.
> If the sent mail in in my inbox and I get no response, then I know I need to
> follow up with them. If they do respond, then I file the tread away. This
> never bothered me with my personal mail, but this is something I do for
> business.
>
> And yes, while I understand that all outgoing mail goes into a "sent"
> folder/label, its unhelpful for my needs. Hope this gets solved!!!
> Thanks:)
>

> On Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:28:00 PM UTC-5, Zack Tennant wrote:
>>
>> I disagree completely. This is not an "obvious shortcoming", or "clearly
>> broken", and not a basic flaw. If you are using the web interface, you
>> always have a copy of the message in your sent mail, so what's the point of
>> BCC'ing yourself. If you're using an offline client, you can use IMAP to
>> have it available, and could use the client's BCC function.
>>
>> I have never wanted to BCC myself in any client I've ever had, never seen
>> the point. And I still can't get my head wrapped around why someone would
>> need to on EVERY e-mail. If you want an occasional one, you can manually do
>> it.
>>
>> Just cause you want a feature does not mean it's a flaw to not have it.
>> And, how many times have you suggested it to Google? Many of the features
>> I've seen suggested more than a few times show up as a lab or a direct
>> feature.
>>

> --

Marko

APB

Feb 7, 2013, 11:47:58 PM2/7/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Here are a couple of things I do which might be useful:

1. In one account, I have a filter which applies the label "S" to messages which are from my address.  I don't understand why, but this has the effect of adding them to the Inbox in addition to Sent Mail.

2. In another account, where I use multiple kinds of stars, I put a question mark on sent mail to which I expect a reply (and that's the only use for that particular "star").  I use other "stars" for other purposes, and am in the habit of checking my Starred label regularly, so it's easy to see what needs my attention.

--APB

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM, glowstrz <glow...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Zack (Doc)

Feb 19, 2013, 7:56:04 PM2/19/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Chris,

Probably because it's not as common as you think.  Many for-pay services and programs don't have the feature.  If enough people suggest it on the help page, it's likely to happen.  I've seen plenty of things implemented that I didn't think were good or common features, but people suggested.  I've seen features I'd like, passed over, cause enough people didn't want it.

If it's important enough to you, make sure to suggest it every day, and gather other supporters (like other readers of this forum).  In the meantime, look around.  There are plenty of services and programs out there, perhaps one of them better suits your needs.  Perhaps some combination of these meets your needs best.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Chris Gassel <gas...@central-realty.com> wrote:
Here is why my company needs an auto-BCC.  We use Insightly for our CRM and in order to easily save all of our emails to the database, we have to send our emails to an email address provided by Insightly.  There is a great email widget, but people don't want to click "Save to Insightly" every time   If we had the auto-BCC feature, we could put all of our unique email address's given to us from Insightly and never have to worry about saving an email again or adding that email address to every email.

Not sure why Google finds such a common feature so hard to add.  Lots of people clearly want this ability so why not give it to them?

Chris Gassel

Feb 19, 2013, 8:00:27 PM2/19/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com

No need. Someone already created an extension.

Jan Esser

Feb 19, 2013, 8:34:53 PM2/19/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, really? Which one?

Jeff Grossman

Mar 14, 2013, 10:56:35 PM3/14/13
to Gmail Users
Why does Zac need to get behind this?  He is a user of Gmail just like you are.  If you want Google to change something then you need to send Google feedback about changing it.  Zac and everybody else here are users.  This is a user to user support forum.

Jeff

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:33 AM, David Donaldson <da...@dbda.com> wrote:
You know Zac, I got to this group by googling "how to auto bcc in gmail".

And I see this topic was launched back in February of 2011. It's now March of 2013.

In all that time, all you've done is post things like "why would you want to do that?", and to make claims that other mail hosts don't offer that feature.

Frankly, I don't see your input to this thread as being helpful in any way.

The truth is...yes, many other mail hosts offer auto bcc, and so should gmail. The truth is...yes lots of us really need this feature as an important business process.  The truth is...we need you to get behind this instead of in front of it.  You know, to give it a little push.  Of course, I don't see this in your modus operandi at all.

Further, I suggest you consider championing the cause, because you clearly have no viable answer yourself and if fact have dozens of posts here spanning 25 months telling people in need of an auto bcc feature how they can do it some other way, or worse yet, querying them repeatedly on why they need it and arguing your points as if that's your cause in life.

Your job isn't to find out why I need something and then try to smack it down. That's for sure.

But I will tell you why I need auto bcc - because I do.

I am an IT consultant, and have been one for...well let's just say for more than 25 years.

I have a client using gmail with a managed office of 8 worker-bees who receive and reply to emails all day long.

And their mail traffic needs to be monitored and managed by the office manager to make sure those worker-bees are doing their job correctly, and to make sure they responded appropriately and offer correction if not.

Filters will forward all incoming mail, and that's what we do. But we don't see the replies and outgoing mail no matter what we try.

So you see, it's actually both a training and legal issue here. And what I'm seeing from this thread, is that you see no reason why this might be important.

Well it is to my clients. And from what I read here, it seems to be pretty important to a lot of other folks too.

That's it.

So tell me now, what do you think I should do?

I think I might just see some merit in your idea of moving this business elsewhere, to a mail provider that does offer auto bcc.

I wonder how Google feels about that. Maybe you could let them know.

dave...

Marko Vukovic

David Donaldson

Mar 15, 2013, 1:43:55 AM3/15/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Got it. Sure sounded to me like he was "in charge", didn't it?

He can still get behind it though, instead of challenging everyone with "well why in the world would you want to do that?"

I really didn't want to make this about personality, but I do recognize terminal ideology when I see it.

Case in point...

I used to have a tech that worked for me that often said..."well I never saw that before" saying the technology wasn't possible. Sure he didn't, until he worked in my lab. That's what we did. We invented solutions that didn't exist.

Then, to keep his job he had to get behind it. So he did. Thirty-eight months later we had developed 37 new products.

Life ain't about getting in the way. It's about solving problems. And of the 50 or so posts in this thread, Zac comprised 20 or more - all negative.

And here I am, looking around for help. If I wanted commentary on why you can't or shouldn't, I'd call my old tech. Twenty-five months of BS - all of which I had to read through just to learn there isn't any way to auto bcc. So this is a User Support Forum? This is support?

Thanks for your guidance,

dave...

David Donaldson

Mar 15, 2013, 11:23:47 AM3/15/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
If you met them, you'd know. My choice of words is accurate.

dave...

"Everything will be alright in the end.  If its not, then it's not the end."  -  Unknown

Marko Vukovic

Mar 15, 2013, 6:57:02 PM3/15/13
to gmail-users
This is not a support forum, nowhere does it claim to be. If you want support from Google then upgrade to Apps for Business.
If you had spent enough time subscribed to this group then you'd know that Zack is one of the most helpful members here. You have voiced your opinion and just as you are entitled to your opinion, so is Zack. Nobody needs to get behind something just because you deem it to be useful. In fact, it seems your client is using Gmail in a way that it's not designed for. Sounds to me like you need a CRM.

Marko

Jeff Grossman

Mar 15, 2013, 6:59:13 PM3/15/13
to Gmail Users
We can't change the Google code though.  So, currently there is no way to auto bcc with the web client.  It is possible with a third party client.  So, Zac or anybody in this forum are not able to assist you with what you want because it is not possible.  The only thing that can be recommended is for you to give Google your feedback and maybe they will change it.  Yes, this is a very helpful forum to help with what their (Google's) current web client is capable of doing.

If you want actual Google support you will need to purchase their Google Apps product.

Jeff

Kenneth Ayers

Apr 2, 2013, 10:55:26 PM4/2/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Everytime I see the issue raised about automatically CCing yourself for emails you send, I wonder why the copies in the Sent Mail label aren't good enough.  I guess people are wanting to CC themselves at a different email address than the one they're sending from?

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM, JustWard <clive.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am surprised that this forum has persisted for so long.

I also want the auto bcc feature in Gmail. My business is small and I have a Outlook email address but it has personal emails.

I wish to allow 2 employees to receive and send emails when I am away but I want to avoid an email being sent and then permanently deleted from Gmail. While they could still do this with a temporary change of settings, they do not have the skills to do so. It is more likely they will forget to do the manual bcc.

They are trustworthy, so I will instruct them to use a manual bbc, but an auto bcc would have been useful.

I will look at Google Apps business (Gmail being intended for personal use), but this just seems like an added hassle for a small personal business.

Zack (Doc)

Apr 2, 2013, 11:13:06 PM4/2/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Ken,
That is one scenario that is often stated.  The other, is to make the message return to the inbox; though solutions have been given for that desire.

One option that I don't recall if it's been suggested, for the other address option I just thought of was to make another GMail account, and have it POP the messages out of your account.  These messages would also come from the Sent folder, catching everything sent, and go straight to the inbox view of that account.

I've also heard the desire for two users to know that the other had already responded to an e-mail both had received.  With conversation view turned on, this should be obvious, and having two different accounts POP from each other (or some group in round-robin fashion) should have the same effect.

Peter Bowers

Apr 25, 2013, 12:59:11 AM4/25/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
A couple questions:

(1) By IFTT do you mean IFTTT?  Or are there other services out there and Mr. Google is failing me?
(2) Any chance you could document your filter rule and your IFTTT rule in detail - it's not working for me...

-Peter

Marko Vukovic

May 14, 2013, 4:05:25 AM5/14/13
to gmail-users

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 11:54 PM, Frank St. Claire <fstc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, Thunderbird does sync with Gmail and place a copy in the Gmail account sent folder, but is still do not like the nested way emails are display in accessing Gmail from the web.

You can turn off the conversation view in Gmail settings.

--
Marko

Peter Bowers

May 14, 2013, 12:27:29 AM5/14/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
May I reiterate my request to Owl and David Lieberman (or anyone else successfully using IFTTT for this particular application) if there's any possibility to get more explicit instructions?  I'd really like to get the IFTTT solution working...

-Peter

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM, David Lieberman <dovid.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
The IFTT idea is BRILLIANT and it WORKS!!!

Thanks a billion!!! I was breaking my head over this. (I have my work emails from an exchange server buried behind a firewall, forwarded to a dummy gmail account but wanted my replies from my mobile - sent from gmail using my work alias - to be in my sent items in my exchange mailbox)

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

You are a star!!

On Thursday, 4 April 2013 23:36:14 UTC+1, Owl wrote:
Hi there,

just as a suggestion ... i added a filter, that marks all outgoing email with a star. A rule based on IFTT-service forwards all of these marked email to another account. So as a result, i have all outgoing email forwarded to another inbox.

regards.

Marko Vukovic

May 22, 2013, 6:05:35 AM5/22/13
to gmail-users
I don't see how Google is supposed to make Gmail integrate with CRM systems. Perhaps you should ask why your CRM systems do not integrate with email instead.
Apparently, Nutshell does integrate with Google Apps: http://www.nutshell.com/google/

What Google CRM App?

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Jeremy Nicholls <jer...@senmagazine.co.uk> wrote:
Can it really be true? I was looking for how to auto-BCC outgoing emails from Gmail, but it never occurred to me that this feature might not be available. Bizarre. Maybe there is some commercial reason why Google don't want me to be able to sync easily to our CRM systems - maybe they would prefer me to pay for a Google CRM App.

Marko

Zack (Doc)

May 22, 2013, 6:35:31 AM5/22/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
The e-mail you responded to from me was your answer.  If the three members use POP to copy the e-mail from the common GMail account into their personal accounts, they'll get every message, in and out.

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 9:44 PM, HydeParkCats TNR <hydepar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, I apologize for my ignorance, but I really need some help.

We are local group that does Trap-Neuter-Release work for feral cats.  We have established a gmail account to be used by the 3 person TNR Subcommittee.  Ideally, we would like to Auto BCC all three subcommittee members at their personal e-mail addresses with every e-mail that is sent from the gmail account.

Can someone please help us figure out a way to do this?

Thank you!

Zack (Doc)

May 22, 2013, 6:36:31 AM5/22/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Actually, the Nutshell page (http://www.nutshell.com/integrations/) absolutely states that it IS working.

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Prescott Paulin <pres...@your.vu> wrote:
Absolutely this is needed... Our company uses Nutshell CRM and for us to get the emails into Nutshell, we need to BCC the "b...@nutshell.com" email address each time.  That's not happening right now... and for users who have apps that integrate with Google Apps for Business, it really needs to change.

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:33:39 PM UTC-5, David Donaldson wrote:
[...]

Zack (Doc)

May 22, 2013, 6:49:17 AM5/22/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
As Marko says, it's the CRM's responsibility to integrate with your e-mail, not the other way around. There are thousands of different e-mail systems/servers you could be using for e-mail, maybe even several of them that you do (between your employees being on bellsouth, or time-warner, or yahoo, or hotmail/outlook.com); but only a few protocols that would be used to communicate with e-mail systems (primarily POP and IMAP).  If your CRM supported one or both of those, your problems would be solved.

I looked, but I can't find a CRM made by Google, so I'm not sure what you're referring to, nor am I aware of very many apps that Google charges for.  Their typical model is to provide service for free, with advertising, and have the advertisers foot the bill for service.  In fact, the only paid Google services I can think of, are basically you paying to remove the ads.

Lastly, both the Google Apps marketplace (http://www.google.com/enterprise/marketplace/categoryHome?categoryId=3&orderBy=rating) and Chrome Web Store (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/app/74-sales-and-crm) have extensive CRM listings, so I have a hard time imagining that all of these systems have the same fault; which according to many people on this thread is fatal.

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 3:25 AM, Jeremy Nicholls <jer...@senmagazine.co.uk> wrote:
Can it really be true? I was looking for how to auto-BCC outgoing emails from Gmail, but it never occurred to me that this feature might not be available. Bizarre. Maybe there is some commercial reason why Google don't want me to be able to sync easily to our CRM systems - maybe they would prefer me to pay for a Google CRM App.

HydeParkCats TNR

May 22, 2013, 11:47:42 AM5/22/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Zack.  I am totally technologically illiterate.  I don't know what it means to use POP to copy the e-mail from the common GMail account into their personal accounts.

Is there a layperson's step-by-step guide on how to do this?

Frank St. Claire

May 22, 2013, 10:16:06 PM5/22/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Every reply (most of which seem to come from "Zac") dance around the problem, which is pretty simple:

1. You want to have a copy of each email you send sent to yourself as if you had manually listed yourself as a bcc recipient -- which is gets very old to do manually after you've done it for awhile.
2. While almost every email service (e.g., Mozilla Thunderbird with IMAP settings) provides such an option, Gmail apparently does not -- despite years of everyone's pleas.
3. You don't want to use conversation mode -- which some find distracting AND
4. You don't want to have to search your "sent" folder for a copy of your own email sent to others (see item 1 above).

and for clarification, this question is NOT:

1. related to CRM (I don't care whatever that is and don't want to know) or
2. a philosophical issue.

and finally:

1. Does Google listen to their users or has it turned a deaf ear to a legitimate multi-year request?
2. BTW, we accepted Google's limitation of two levels of "nesting" of mail folders with its multiple "labels" -- which is probably due to a limit in Gmail's design architecture, but
3. If this current issue (i.e., see item 1 in the first paragraph if you forgot to read it there or didn't fully comprehend  the simple scope of this query) is a design issue here, either:
     a. fix it or
     b. "cowboy-up" to the problem -- instead of using what appear to be stalking horse apologists in this user group to qualm the incessantly beating drums of discontent from some of your most ardent supporters over this simple question.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the courage and intelligence to address this issue directly as presented above (i.e., see item 1 in the first paragraph above if you have not done so by now) without any of the tangential responses evidenced by this multi-year thread to date.

On 5/22/2013 2:25 AM, Jeremy Nicholls wrote:
Can it really be true? I was looking for how to auto-BCC outgoing emails from Gmail, but it never occurred to me that this feature might not be available. Bizarre. Maybe there is some commercial reason why Google don't want me to be able to sync easily to our CRM systems - maybe they would prefer me to pay for a Google CRM App. --

Zack (Doc)

May 23, 2013, 8:01:47 AM5/23/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
From the GMail help page, which you get to from the "gear" menu (https://support.google.com/mail/?ctx=gmail&hl=en&p=search) there are two articles for POP that are very good, and targeted at GMail.  Depending on who provides their personal accounts, they may or may not be able to POP directly, but if they use a client, they can POP from both.

Zack (Doc)

May 23, 2013, 8:08:10 AM5/23/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Turning off conversation view has been an option for a long time now, and it is the result of Google listening to peoples suggestions (call them complaints if you like, I prefer to work with people, not against them), and is proof the Google does listen to it's users.  However, those suggestions need to be made through the right place, the official suggestion page, not postings in a user's group that has never been an official source for company solved problems.  As a user's group, we're just fellow users like yourself, offering suggestions and help for situations you propose (and general discussion if that is what you wish).

If you don't want suggestions from fellow users, then you are free to unsubscribe.  If you don't like a particular poster's methods or attitude, you are free to ignore them, or if it's bad enough, contact the list owner at the link provided on the group's web page.

Frank St. Claire

May 23, 2013, 11:16:02 AM5/23/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Zack/(Doc): My comment was not meant to be critical of anyone here (including yourself). The thrust of my commentary was the apparent recalcitrance of Google to address the problem.

BTW, I will be glad to make an "official request" to Google if you or someone else would direct me to the most effective way to do so. However, having done this in the past with at least one "official suggestion" for Youtube sign-ins, no response was ever forthcoming from Google and I doubt any would occur in this suggested effort.  From what I see, Google pretty much does whatever it wants to do with little influence from its users. In other words, the attitude seems to be  "Google knows best."

What might make more sense than some of us sending to Google unorganized ad hoc suggestions to this problem (which seems to be ongoing for years now and is both unsolved by users here (who do try to help)  and by Google (which seems to be unwillingly to address the issue) might be to initiate a petition here of users who do feel this is a serious issue that needs to be addressed and submit that petition to Google. Maybe someone more talented than myself could start such a petition drive by creating a Youtube video that might go viral. Maybe then, and only then, Google might pay attention.

Until that happens, many of us will continue to use IMAP-configured third-party email programs such as Mozilla Thunderbird for sending email and simply avoid Gmail's web-based email facility. If that's what they want, that's what they will get.

It's a sad commentary on a company that in general has done so much good.

Thank you for your response.

Zack (Doc)

May 24, 2013, 1:28:15 AM5/24/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Geoff,

Your messages confuses me more than most in this thread.  If you have conversation view on (the default), then the messages are threaded together, including your replies.  They are not split.  I'm looking at this thread that way right now.  When I hit send, the message that I'm typing now will be at the bottom of my conversation view.

And as a network engineer, I regret to inform you that #2 is not happening.  All you're telling yourself that way is that it made it to YOUR server.  The sent message present in GMail by default tells you the same thing.  You're not actually gaining any information with a BCC.

Finally, yes, when GMail detects what it considered a duplicate of a message that it has already, it will delete it automatically.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Geoff Briggs <geoff.s...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Several people seem to have a big problem with *why* anyone would want to BCC themselves and have the BCCed messgae stored in their 'inbox' rather than in their 'sent' folder. These are the two reasons why *I* want to be able to do this.

1. I would like my replies to messages to be part of the conversation thread: I want to be able to look at a threaded message and not only see whether I sent a reply, but also see what I said. If the messages are split between 2 different folders (labels) then the messages are combined in a single thread.

2. I want to be certain that my messages have actually got out 'into the ether'. When at work, I have to send messages through my work smtp server, and the only way I know that any email I have sent has actually left the local work network is if I BCC myself. If a message returns to me through BCC, then I know it has also been delivered to the main recipient's system (even if not to the recipients mailbox). Having a copy of my message simply copied to 'sent' does not prove the message has been successfully sent.

As it is, I find that many of my BCCed messages to myself actually end up in 'Bin', presumably because Gmail realise it's a duplicate (with the copy in 'sent' and so deletes the additional one!

On Thursday, 23 May 2013 03:16:06 UTC+1, Frank St. Claire wrote:
[...]

Zack (Doc)

May 24, 2013, 1:47:37 AM5/24/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Frank,

The official place for suggestions has always been tied to the help pages and/or "gear" icon.  I just checked and now from the gear I have a specific "Send Feedback"   While I have never heard of Google sending back a personal response "Zack, thanks for your suggestion...", I have heard of many suggestions, including ones I've made, getting implemented.  In fact, something I suggested a couple months ago recently came into use (having to do with calendar and gmail integration.

I make it a point to be very clear with my suggestions, including specific details about problems found, or suggestions on how one might add the feature I wanted.  I'm sure that helps them to prioritize what changes they make.  One method used is to discuss your wordings here.  And false statements like "everyone else does it" don't help your case.  Online petitions don't help, they're too easy to fake results.

Rest assured, Google turned on POP and IMAP to give user's options, so you're welcome to continue using it in a way that you're comfortable with.

Zack (Doc)

May 25, 2013, 12:02:17 PM5/25/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
OK, but now you've added to the confusion.

#1, depending on how you set up your Thunderbird, it's not actually placing a copy in Sent, but is in fact pulling that folder over IMAP; meaning the GMail servers do indeed have a copy, so it went outward.  In fact, if you followed the GMail Help page on setting up Thunderbird, that's exactly the way it's set up.  They advise against the direct copy because then you'll have duplicates.

#2, Thunderbird has an auto-bcc option, so why would you need GMail to do it?

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Geoff Briggs <geoff.s...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Sorry for any confusion; perhaps I can explain!

Perhaps I needed to say that I am not using the web browser to read and write emails: they are currently going through Thunderbird on my work PC, as this way I can have one program open with all my various emails in it; whether they come from my work account or my various home accounts. I am contacting Gmail via IMAP, and so 'Inbox' forms a separate folder and so doesn't thread messages from 'sent'. The same happens if I label messages as they appear in my 'inbox', effectively copying them to specific folders. I guess I could just look at the 'all' folder at all times, but I prefer to separate current active messages from those which have been dealt with and archived. I would have exactly the same situation if I used Outlook or any other IMAP based method of contacting my Gmail.

This also explains my second point: all emails have to go through the work SMTP server: any other routes for sending out emails from Thunderbird (or Outlook, etc) are blocked (apart from opening a web browser and using the web version of Gmail). When I write a message from my Gmail account on my machine, it places a copy in 'Sent'. This is a simple copying procedure, and so doesn't involve the SMTP servers at all. To be certain that a message has actually got through my work SMTP queue, I need it to go into the ether, arrive at the Gmail servers, and then download it via IMAP.

Does this make things clearer?

Marko Vukovic

May 25, 2013, 2:47:54 PM5/25/13
to gmail-users

#2, Thunderbird has an auto-bcc option, so why would you need GMail to do it?

I don't get this either. Even if Gmail had an auto-Bcc feature, Geoff is sending via his local SMTP server so that wouldn't happen from the Gmail side.
Geoff, in Thunderbird this setting is under the Account Settings -> Copies & Folders section.

I also don't see how you needing to know that mail is leaving your work network is a concern of Google's, certainly not justification for an auto-Bcc feature.

--
Marko

--
Marko

Marko Vukovic

May 25, 2013, 2:50:55 PM5/25/13
to gmail-users

Frank, you mention the word 'problem' a lot. Consider that just because you deem a feature to be necessary does not somehow make it a problem for the rest of us.
Marko

Frank St. Claire

May 25, 2013, 4:30:04 PM5/25/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I think Geoff's post, together with your reply, does help articulate the problem some of us are having.

I use Thunderbird with its auto-bcc option whenever I am at home. When I am on a mobile device, such as an iPad or iPhone, Thunderbird is not an option. When I am constrained to only a mobile device is the only time that I resort to using Gmail to send messages or replies, which does require me to remember to manually include a  bcc to myself if I want to emulate the automatic process of Thunderbird (BTW, I do use the IMAP configuration, which is probably why I use Gmail at all). Indeed, this reply to the group is being sent by Thunderbird for that very reason.

Additionally, I send from my ISP a bcc not only to my Gmail account from which it is sent, but also to a non-Gmail account that is not owith my ISP provider so that I can receive verification not only that my e-mail left my ISP but also was received by an independent unrelated ISP and also see how it is displayed to the recipient.

Perhaps that is overkill (with redundant copies) from Google's apparent myopic viewpoint, but for me, it is SOP and a practice I do not wish to have to forego by depending only on web-based Gmail as a method of communication.

I hope this clarifies in some respect the problem that both Geoff and I (and the untold-numbers who have preceded us over the years in this group and have otherwise attempted to get a straight answer from Google) are talking about. As I said before, I am very doubtful that Google will be responsive to addressing this problem since I'm sure many others have called it to their attention, not only in this group, but to the Google team directly.

Thank you in advance for any constructive solution that you might suggest. As you have stated, I understand you are only a fellow user, with no affiliation to Google either as an employee or contractor, direct or indirect.

Finally, in my wildest dreams, I cannot imagine that the "Google team" does not have at least one employee, whose job is to monitor groups such as this. I do hope whoever that person is he or she is not posting here without identifying his or herself as a Gmail related employee or contractor in defending Google's unaddressed policy on this issue ( or "problem" for some of us).

Have a great Memorial Day weekend -- and don't forget to bcc yourself on any reply if you send it from web-based Gmail! <g>
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Gmail-Users" group.

Jeremy Nicholls

May 25, 2013, 4:21:49 PM5/25/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I have found a solution. Works for me, anyway.

Note that this solution will not work in free Gmail - I'm using Gmail Apps for Business.

What I did was:

Manage this domain --> Gmail Settings --> General Settings

Right down at the bottom of this page is "Sending Routing", which allows you to "Also deliver to". You can enter an email address here and all outbound email will be copied to this address.

So now all my outgoing emails are also automatically routed to a mailbox, and our CRM then fetches them from there. It has to be an external mailbox (ie not one of our Business Apps email accounts), because Gmail won't allow two copies of the same email in the same email account.

Frank St. Claire

May 25, 2013, 4:53:57 PM5/25/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, but I'm using free Gmail. But I think you highlighted the problem with "Gamil won't allow of the same email in the email account."

You have crystallized the policy issue that Google has chosen on this issue, which remains a problem for some of us.

Have a great day and thanks for the clarification!

Frank St. Claire

May 25, 2013, 4:37:39 PM5/25/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Marko,

Please see my most recent reply to Zack's reply to Geoff if you fail to understand the concern of some of us.

Also, just because an issue is not a problem for you and some others does not mean it is not a problem for many of us.

I am sure you have your own "problems" as evidenced by your reply, on which I will not elaborate further. This is not a group that is aimed at ad hominem attacks.

Good day.
This conversation is locked