Dome v. Tornado

Paul Kranz

Apr 1, 2023, 3:04:34 PM4/1/23
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know if any domes survived yesterday's tornadoes? Paul sends...

Hector Alfredo Hernández Hdez.

Apr 1, 2023, 3:07:00 PM4/1/23
to geodes...@googlegroups.com
In La Paz Baja California Sur,

All were survived , absolullly

El El sáb, abr. 1, 2023 a la(s) 12:04 p.m., Paul Kranz <pa...@revivetheflame.com> escribió:
Does anyone know if any domes survived yesterday's tornadoes? Paul sends...

Dx G

Apr 2, 2023, 5:49:59 PM4/2/23
to Geodesic Help Group
I'd be interested in hearing more about that too.  There are a few interesting collections of photos of the dome being the "last person standing" surrounded by a sea of storm debris.  A few concrete dome shots attached.
   I have visited with a few labs that do research on structures exposed to high winds. Some use small model buildings, but several use full size structures.  I found it interesting when I asked them about working with domes. Typically they measure air pressures, and they told me that domes are so much more aerodynamic than rectilinear structures, they'd have to entirely recalibrate their instruments to a different range to take those measurements on domes.  I suspect nobody on this list is surprised by that.
DxG
DomeStorm1.pngdomeStorm2.pngdomeStorm3.png

Dx G

Jun 6, 2024, 1:53:51 PMJun 6
to Geodesic Help Group
Stormproofness, Tornado, Hurricane, Wind in domes...and insurance

Although it is odd at times as to where our information comes from, take a look at the round chart at the end of the article.  I do see a lot more emphasis on building to upgraded code for rectilinear structures, it does seems to me this would sure be a good plug for expanding the use of domes.

https://www.governing.com/finance/some-models-to-keep-insurance-companies-from-pulling-out-of-states?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Issue:%202024-06-06%20Smart%20Cities%20Dive%20Newsletter%20%5Bissue:62770%5D&utm_term=Smart%20Cities%20Dive

  However, in rectilinear structures, often the windblown debris is a major issue in destroying buildings that could otherwise stand the air velocity in the absence of the projectiles.  Although domes resist damage from high air velocities very well, its interesting to watch a slow motion video of solids (like 2x4's) carried towards a structure in a high wind.  This is apparent when shooting 2x4's at a house for impact tests, typically at 90 degree angles at zero air speed, as done for storm shelter testing.  A well reinforced wall will make that 2x4 blow up into splinters, but plow right through most walls like a spear.  Sure, its hard to hit the curve of a dome at 90 degrees, but in the real world setting, it gets even better.  Those high air velocities needed to pick that 2x4 up off the ground and propel it towards a wall, tend to make projectiles follow the air stream.  When that air stream, and projectile, gets to a dome, the air tends to curve around the shell like water in a flowing creek does around a rock.  When the projectiles follow the air stream, its darn hard for them to hit the wall at 90 degrees.
  So if "severe convective storms" are the nemesis of the insurance industry, domes begin to make more sense.  Not only do they resist damage from high air velocities, but their aerodynamic nature also prevents projectiles from making impact at that 90 degree angle which does the most damage...unlike rectilinear structures.

Also see
https://groups.google.com/g/geodesichelp/c/rvIA8dGpIf0/m/KiGxYFsjBgAJ   photos
https://groups.google.com/g/geodesichelp/c/u2qaBGeN_9Q/m/nP2X06Q9fG0J
https://groups.google.com/g/geodesichelp/c/BoY1b9M2Cs4/m/ljlhOLQflK4J

https://www.oribco.com/data/doc/articles/cheng.pdf
CHARACTERISTIC OF WIND LOAD ON A HEMISPHERICAL DOME IN SMOOTH FLOW AND TUBULENT BOUNDARY LAYER FLOW  C. M. Cheng ∗ , C. L. Fu † , Y.Y. Lin#
 Department of Civil Engineering, Tamkang University
 cmc...@mail.tku.edu.tw, † f...@mail.tku.edu.tw, #y...@mail.tku.edu.tw
BBAA VI International Colloquium on: Bluff Bodies Aerodynamics & Applications
Milano, Italy, July, 20-24 2008

https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/15/5/4635
Wind Effects on Dome Structures and Evaluation of CFD Simulations through Wind Tunnel Testing
by Tiantian Li, Hongya Qu, Yi Zhao 3,Ryan Honerkamp 3,Guirong Yan 3,*,Arindam Chowdhury 4 andIoannis Zisis

http://jase.tku.edu.tw/articles/jase-200609-9-3-11.pdf
Computational Simulation and Comparison of the
Effect of Different Surroundings on Wind Loads on Domed Structures
Jin-Shian Lin1 , Cheng-Hsin Chang2 and Neng-Chou Shang3

Dx G