HEALTH BENEFITS OF HOLY BASIL - TULSI

Newsletter

Oct 10, 2014, 8:04:58 AM10/10/14
to ayurve...@googlegroups.com

Editor’s Note

Dear Readers,

Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) commonly known as the holy basil is a sacred medicinal herb which is worshipped in India. Due to its innumerable medicinal virtues it can be used in various diseases. Tulsi acts to modulate stress levels. Tulsi is good for respiratory health, cardiovascular health and brain function. It has antioxidant effects and boosts immunity.

In many Ayurvedic scriptures, Tulsi is frequently mentioned as one of the main pillars of herbal medicine. This sacred plant is described as a protector of life, preventing misery and disease from birth through old age and death-and even then aiding the passage to the heavens. Ongoing clinical investigations of Tulsi’s health promoting qualities are sure to bear rich fruit. A considerable, rapidly expanding body of modern scientific information is currently available confirming many of the life-supporting benefits described in ancient Indian Ayurvedic writings.

Relatively little known in the West, the holy basil Tulsi is certain to emerge in the near future as a major player in the growing field of herbal health supplements and medicines, both in daily self-care and in professionally managed health care systems. Tulsi is a miracle herb and is a boon to the world. In this newsletter we will discuss about the benefits of the Tulsi.

We welcome your suggestions and submissions.

Enjoy reading and get benefited with Ayurveda.

Vaidya Lakshmi Anoop

HEALTH BENEFITS OF HOLY BASIL - TULSI

Tulsi has been used for thousands of years in Ayurveda for its diverse healing properties. It is regarded in Ayurveda as a kind of “elixir of life” and believed to promote longevity. Tulsi has its own religious importance. The Tulsi Manas mandir at Varanasi is one such famous temple, where Tulsi is worshiped.

Apart from its religious significance, it is of great medicinal significance, and is a prime herb in Ayurveda treatment. The plant extract can be used to prevent and cure many illness and common ailments like common cold, headache, stomach disorders, inflammation, heart disease, various forms of poison and malaria. Essential oil extracted from Karpoor Tulsi is mostly used for medicinal purpose though of late it is used in the manufacture of herbal toiletry.

The Tulsi plant is known to purify or de-pollute the atmosphere and works as a repellent to mosquitoes, flies and other harmful insects.

Attributes of Tulsi

Rasa (taste)
: Tikta (Bitter), Katu (Pungent), Kashaya (Astringent).

Guna (Properties): Tikshna (Sharp), Ruksha (Dry) and Laghu (Light)

Virya (Potency): Ushna (Hot)

Karma (action): Pacifies Kapha and Vata dosha, Ruchikara (Promotes taste), Dipani (Appetizer), Hridya (Cardiac tonic)

Varieties: Though there are many varieties of Tulsi only the two varieties are commonly found. Two types are Krishna Tulsi (Black variety) and Rama Tulsi (White variety).

Health Benefits :

Tulsi has been mentioned in the classical text books of Ayurveda which proves that Tulsi has used in many formulations and is the drug of choice in many disorders since thousands of years. Here are few health benefits of Tulsi.

1) Common Cold & Cough: Chewing Tulsi leaves cures Cough and flu. It helps to mobilize mucous in bronchitis and asthma attack. Almost all the Ayurvedic cough syrups contain Tulsi as an important ingredient, as it helps in lessening bronchitis. A decoction of leaves with honey and ginger is an effective remedy against bronchitis, asthma, influenza and cold.

2) Pediatric Health Problems: In problems like cough, cold, diarrhea and vomiting, Tulsi juice is very effective. Basil leaves taken with honey keeps chicken pox at bay.

3) Excellent Mouth Freshener: Tulsi is an excellent mouth freshener and oral disinfectant and destroy 99% of germs and bacteria found in the mouth. Tulsi is also used as mouth wash to relieve tooth ache. These leaves are quite effective for several mouth infections like ulcers.

4) Sore Throat: Water boiled with Basil leaves can be taken as a drink in sore throat.

5) Diabetes: Tulsi reduces blood glucose level and so is an effective herb for diabetes.

6) Stress Reliever: Tulsi act as a stress reliever by balancing various body processes. The anti-oxidants present in Tulsi helps in balancing different processes of the body. Drinking Tulsi extract daily smoothes the nervous system and helps to relieve stress.

7) Immune Booster: It boosts the immune system thus it promotes longevity.

8) Memory Enhancer: Tulsi leaves are beneficial for nervous system and help in enhancing memory.

9) Insect Bites: Tulsi is very beneficial against insect bites or stings. Drinking juice of Tulsi leaves after every few hours in case of bite is very beneficial. You can also apply Tulsi paste to the affected part.

10) Anti-Cancer Effect: Tulsi has anti-carcinogenic property and helps to treat certain forms of cancer including breast cancer. Tulsi restricts the blood vessel that feeds tumors. It also helps to inhibit the growth of oral cancer that it caused due to tobacco. But Tulsi should not be used as the sole treatment of cancer however.

11) Helps To Quit Smoking: Tulsi can also help you immensely if you are trying to quit smoking. It is more helpful than nicotine gum and candies which claim to keep you distracted from your need of smoking. Keep some fresh Tulsi in your pocket and munch whenever you feel the urge to smoke. The Tulsi juice will cool your throat just as the mint drop do and chewing will distract you.

This article is written by Dr. Aniket Kamble who is a B.A.M.S (Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Science)

Home Remedy for Skin Care

Chickpea powder (Besan) and Tulsi leaves are made into paste with sufficient water and applied on the face. This face pack is a popular pack to get rid of scar marks and get a clean and even skin tone. Skin whitening effects of chickpea lightens the appearance of scar and black marks and Tulsi kills the bacteria that cause acne.

Product of the month – Tulsi Herbal Tea

Ingredients - Tulsi coarse powder

Benefits - An everyday care for protection of health. Tulsi is rich in anti oxidants, thereby helps fight infections and boosts the immune system, also helps in respiratory problems like common cold, cough, bronchitis and respiratory allergies.

How to Use – Dip one sachet of tea bag in one cup of hot water and allow it to steep for 2 – 3 min. and then drink it as an herbal tea.

Recommended Use - One or two servings daily.

For more on our porducts please click here

If you are looking for interesting facts and updates on Ayurveda, please like us on Facebook.

Wish to procure our products? Kindly contact as detailed below:

USA:
Now available at Garry and Sun, USA - The new longevity tonic & all the other products of Chakrapani Ayurveda, India, potent and fresh Ayurveda herbs, massage oils for body types, good quality Indian spices and readymade Ayurveda food items suitable for Ayurveda body types. Contact at Toll Free: 1 - 888 - 98 - HERBS

Garry and Sun

 http://garrysun.com

France
S.I.E.T.P.A.
http://massages-ayurvedique.com

U.K.
Health Trail
www.healthtrail.co.uk

Ireland
The Samadhi Centre
http://thesamadhicentre.com

Colombia
Ms. Gisele Dupuis
kamalacent...@gmail.com

Curacao
Ms. Soraida
http://www.enlightengroup.org

Brazil
Jorge Farias
fari...@hotmail.com

Ph: (21) 2261.5352

Would you like an advertisement of your health services and products to be read by the largest on - line audience of Ayurveda in the whole  world?  Or would you like to sponsor a newsletter ? For all information about our newsletter and sponsorship details, click here

For Archives of our earlier published Newsletters, please click here

Subscription Information:
If you know someone, who would enjoy AyurvedaNews, please forward it to them or tell them about it.

If AyurvedaNews came to you from a friend, you can subscribe to it for free at our web sites or
click here

Click here
to send your feedback on this issue of AyurvedaNews. Your valuable suggestions will help us in our efforts at continuous improvement.

Change of Address: If at any time you wish to change your e-mail address, please update us by
clicking here.

Stop Subscription: If you wish to stop your subscription
click here

Chakrapani Ayurveda have been giving genuine services in the field of Ayurveda from past 17 years and we would like to introduce our readers about our services and our team. Kindly visit Chakrapani Ayurveda Clinic & Research Center Introduction Part I on you Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNO7FuxnEwg. This video shows first part of the thorough introduction on the services being offered by Chakrapani Ayurveda Clinic & Research Center based at Jaipur, India. To see second and final part of the introduction,  kindly visit http://youtu.be/pQPb9oR9MgI.

CONTACT US
Chakrapani Ayurveda Clinic & Research Center,
Chakrapani Global Center for Training & Research in Ayurveda
8, Diamond hill, Behind Birla Temple, Tulsi circle, Shanti path, Jaipur-302004, India.
Telefax : +91-141-2624003   Phone: +91-141-2620746
E-mail: in...@chakrapaniayurveda.com
http://chakrapaniayurveda.com , http://LearnAyurveda.com , http://ayu.in
 http://garrysun.com , http://PanchakarmaEquipment.com