Linux Just Sucks.. No Wonder So Few Are Using It.

0 views
Skip to first unread message

bones...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 4:58:20 PM10/6/07
to
After a not so great experience 'upgrading' to Vista, I decided to
give Linux Ubuntu a chance.
I had read all kinds of great, positive information about this version
of Linux so I was looking forward to a change of pace.
Seeing as I have never used Linux before, Ubuntu seemed to get the
most hits on Google so I went for it.

All I can say is thank God I didn't pay anything for this piece of
crap.
Really makes me wonder why Linux is free. I suppose that's the only
way they can unload it on unsuspecting people like me.
Holy shit!
Virtually nothing works.
I can't play my mp3 files.
My porn doesn't play.
My prionter does not print.
My wireless network keeps dropping the connection.
My 8 button mouse is now a 2 buton mouse.
My widescreen LCD display is now displaying a frequency error box in
the middle of the desktop.
My ATI TV card won't work.
I select help in various progams and I am met by a dialog box saying
"Help has Not been Written Yet, if I would like to Contribute please
contact etc"

So now I have to write my own programs?

I could go on but why bother?

Anyone who wonders why Linux is stillborn should give Ubuntu a try and
find out for themselves.
Linux sucks.

Robin T Cox

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 5:00:43 PM10/6/07
to
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:58:20 -0700, bones4jones wrote:

> After a not so great experience 'upgrading' to Vista

Tell us about your experiences with Vista, now that you have upgraded.

On second thoughts, don't bother.

Gordon

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 5:03:58 PM10/6/07
to
<bones...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1191704300....@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> Virtually nothing works.

Crap

> I can't play my mp3 files.

Crap


> My porn doesn't play.

Says it all.....

> My prionter does not print.

Bollocks

> My wireless network keeps dropping the connection.

More crap

> My 8 button mouse is now a 2 buton mouse.

Balls

> My widescreen LCD display is now displaying a frequency error box in
> the middle of the desktop.

More crap


> My ATI TV card won't work.

Try plugging it in. Crap.

Moron.


Léonard Kai Schönitz

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 4:59:58 PM10/6/07
to
Go back to your stone! Now!

bones...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 5:07:35 PM10/6/07
to

Notice the 'bury the head in the sand, it can't be true' reaction of
the Linux zealots.
As for Vista, it sucked.
Didn't support my hardware and ran like shit.

As for Linux, Ubuntu, it ran worse than shit.
Vista stinks but Linux is free and stinks even worse.

How the hell can you nuts justify something that is free yet virtually
nobody is using it?
It's like VD.
It's free, many people get it, few pay for it, most wish they never
got it.
That's Linux.

bones...@gmail.com

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 5:10:21 PM10/6/07
to
On Oct 6, 5:05 pm, Peter Kai Jensen <use...@pekajemaps.homeip.net>
wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> qones4jo...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> [Snip - troll]
>
> And you just have *oh* so much credibility when posting anonymously
> through through an open proxy:
>
> http://www.aliveproxy.com/proxy-checker/?i=216.89.101.4&p=80
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iD8DBQFHB/igd1ZThqotgfgRAlU2AJ9E579iGGsGn4PZkfEnr7ySeNrZigCffr+f
> OyTXVq4UDgFXiNbd4hQ8LqU=
> =JyXR
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> --
> PeKaJe
>
> Less is more or less more
> -- Y_Plentyn on #LinuxGER

Notice the total inability to discuss the topic and the need to keep
the thread stifled in COLA instead of trying to debate it elsewhere
where people with no axe to grind might comment on their negative
Linux experiences.

Typical COLA zealot.
A frightened fool.


Gordon

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 5:13:39 PM10/6/07
to
<bones...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1191705021....@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Umm I have NO "negative" Linux experiences.....it just errr works......


Robin T Cox

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 5:14:01 PM10/6/07
to
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:07:35 -0700, bones4jones wrote:

> Vista stinks but Linux is free and stinks even worse.

So what are you using now?

Message has been deleted

Gordon

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 5:27:20 PM10/6/07
to
"John King" <beerk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:fe8u30$ec7$2...@registered.motzarella.org...
>
> If it works so great, why are so few people using it?

Because, up until a year or so ago, due to Microsoft's predatory marketing
practices, the consumer had NO CHOICE - they were unable to buy a machine
from any of the large vendors with Linux pre-installed. And as we all know -
people use what they are given.


Mike Easter

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 5:29:33 PM10/6/07
to
Posted to 24hshd only.

bones...@gmail.com wrote:
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, comp.os.linux.advocacy,
24hoursupport.helpdesk, microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
User-Agent: G2/1.0

<snip>

> Linux sucks.

Oh lookee. A crossposting googlegrouper troll instigating.


--
Mike Easter - anti-crossposter
Any crossposting with which I disagree
has been trimmed away in my own reply

TJ

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 5:45:03 PM10/6/07
to
"Mike Easter" <Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote in news:13gfvhs2gpa4s72
@corp.supernews.com:

> Posted to 24hshd only.
>
> bones...@gmail.com wrote:
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> 24hoursupport.helpdesk, microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
> User-Agent: G2/1.0
>
> <snip>
>
>> Linux sucks.
>
> Oh lookee. A crossposting googlegrouper troll instigating.

Who's spittle I would have never seen had you not reposted at least part of
it.

Stephan Rose

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 6:05:55 PM10/6/07
to
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:58:20 -0700, bones4jones wrote:

> After a not so great experience 'upgrading' to Vista, I decided to give
> Linux Ubuntu a chance.
> I had read all kinds of great, positive information about this version
> of Linux so I was looking forward to a change of pace. Seeing as I have
> never used Linux before, Ubuntu seemed to get the most hits on Google so
> I went for it.
>
> All I can say is thank God I didn't pay anything for this piece of crap.
> Really makes me wonder why Linux is free. I suppose that's the only way
> they can unload it on unsuspecting people like me. Holy shit!
> Virtually nothing works.
> I can't play my mp3 files.

I have a whole collection for my MP3 player that works just fine.

> My porn doesn't play.

Watched some this afternoon...HD Quality too.

> My prionter does not print.

Printed on my HP Color laser printer tonight.

> My wireless network keeps dropping the connection.

Works perfectly on my laptop.

> My 8 button mouse is
> now a 2 buton mouse.

Let's see...5 button mouse and 5 buttons work.

>My widescreen LCD display is now displaying a
> frequency error box in the middle of the desktop.

Seeing how I'm reading this, my LCD must work huh? Oh btw, so does my
plasma TV hooked up to the second DVI.

> My ATI TV card won't work.

Now that one I can't comment on.

> I select help in various progams and I am met by a dialog box saying
> "Help has Not been Written Yet, if I would like to Contribute please
> contact etc"

Seeing how you're just whining and not asking for help, you're beyond
help anyway.

>
> So now I have to write my own programs?
>
> I could go on but why bother?

Yea, why bother...just pack up your computer in the box it came in and
send it back. It'll be best for you.

>
> Anyone who wonders why Linux is stillborn should give Ubuntu a try and
> find out for themselves.

Been using it all year long. Using it right now. Quite successfully I
might add.

> Linux sucks.

Naw, your main problem simply exists between keyboard and chair. Now
maybe, if instead of whining and moaning about your problems, you'd ask
for help and questions...you might receive that.

But you apparently are only interested in trolling I suppose...

--
Stephan
2003 Yamaha R6

君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
君のこと忘れたときがないから

Mike Easter

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 6:10:59 PM10/6/07
to
TJ wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> Oh lookee. A crossposting googlegrouper troll instigating.
>
> Who's spittle I would have never seen had you not reposted at least
> part of it.

Errm. I cited two words for 'context' and the newsgroups + commas,
which crossposting I presume you are filtering on, besides whatever you
might do with GG in general.

Or is your strategy to filter everything that references the GGer
regardless of the crossposting?

--
Mike Easter

TJ

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 6:28:25 PM10/6/07
to
"Mike Easter" <Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote in
news:13gg1vh...@corp.supernews.com:

> TJ wrote:

>> "Mike Easter"
>
>>> Oh lookee. A crossposting googlegrouper troll instigating.
>>
>> Who's spittle I would have never seen had you not reposted at least
>> part of it.
>
> Errm. I cited two words for 'context'

Which is precisely why I said "part" of it. I kinda figured there was
more, but had no way of knowing since I can't see 'original'
groper-posts any longer unless somebody comes along (that would be you)
and quotes and attributes them for whatever reason. Which is, of
course, your choice.

> and the newsgroups + commas,
> which crossposting I presume you are filtering on, besides whatever
> you might do with GG in general.

There's no need to filter crossposting GGer's with Xnews. You just
write the score-file as it pertains to the message ID, make it 'global'
and you never see a post from a google-groper ever again.


> Or is your strategy to filter everything that references the GGer
> regardless of the crossposting?

I have Xnews set to filter on the message ID. So I suppose it MAY stand
to reason that if you include a groper's message ID in your attribution,
I would not see it. However, I do NOT have XNews set to filter on the
"reference header". Nor am I sure it's even possible. But I'll bet the
Shark would know. :-)

Mike Easter

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 6:48:22 PM10/6/07
to
TJ wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> TJ wrote:
>
>>> "Mike Easter"
>>
>>>> Oh lookee. A crossposting googlegrouper troll instigating.
>>>
>>> Who's spittle I would have never seen had you not reposted at least
>>> part of it.
>>
>> Errm. I cited two words for 'context'
>
> Which is precisely why I said "part" of it. I kinda figured there was
> more, but had no way of knowing since I can't see 'original'
> groper-posts any longer unless somebody comes along (that would be
> you) and quotes and attributes them for whatever reason.

But Gordon posted 9 lines of it in news:fe8t7v$lgi$1...@news.mixmin.net or
http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/msg/86f012ae13e5f4e6
or http://snipr.com/1rusq

... so you (or your newsserver) must've filtered his post somehow, if
you had never seen those parts of it he cited.

> write the score-file as it pertains to the message ID, make it
> 'global' and you never see a post from a google-groper ever again.

Ah, so. I see. Many newsreaders are configured to create attributions
with a lot of 'stuff' in there, like the mid, which I have configured to
exclude. I only attribute with the handle, no from addy (unless there's
no /other/ handle), no date/time, no mid, no cutesy wordjunk - just very
very short. So my attribution didn't cite the GG mid in the
attribution, so you saw my message with the 2 word cite. I get it.

> So I suppose it MAY
> stand to reason that if you include a groper's message ID in your
> attribution, I would not see it.


--
Mike Easter

Frank

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 6:56:25 PM10/6/07
to

We've heard that lame excuse for the last decade or so.
Linux is POS toy os practically no one wants.
Frank

TJ

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 7:01:56 PM10/6/07
to
"Mike Easter" <Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote in
news:470810b4$0$47125$892e...@authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

> TJ wrote:
>> "Mike Easter"
>>> TJ wrote:
>>
>>>> "Mike Easter"
>>>
>>>>> Oh lookee. A crossposting googlegrouper troll instigating.
>>>>
>>>> Who's spittle I would have never seen had you not reposted at least
>>>> part of it.
>>>
>>> Errm. I cited two words for 'context'
>>
>> Which is precisely why I said "part" of it. I kinda figured there
>> was more, but had no way of knowing since I can't see 'original'
>> groper-posts any longer unless somebody comes along (that would be
>> you) and quotes and attributes them for whatever reason.
>
> But Gordon posted 9 lines of it in news:fe8t7v$lgi$1...@news.mixmin.net
> or
> http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/msg/86f012ae13e5f

> 4e6 or http://snipr.com/1rusq


>
> ... so you (or your newsserver) must've filtered his post somehow, if
> you had never seen those parts of it he cited.

If 'Gordon' POSTED from Google, I NEVER saw it. Simple as that,

<snip>>

> So my attribution didn't cite
> the GG mid in the attribution, so you saw my message with the 2 word
> cite. I get it.

Yes. Apparently you do. Now. :-)

PS? I know I've posted this before, and It's probably on the Shark's
website ,,, but the three lines below entered into the X-news score file is
all ya need to make the google-gropers disappear;

[.]
Score: -9999
Message-ID: googlegroups.com

Poof! Gone.


Roy Schestowitz

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 6:55:36 PM10/6/07
to
____/ Gary Stewart on Saturday 06 October 2007 21:58 : \____

> <snip garbage>

Another impotent Gary Stewart (flatfish) nym.

*plonk*

--
~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomaster.com
http://Schestowitz.com | GNU is Not UNIX | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
http://iuron.com - proposing a non-profit search engine

Roy Schestowitz

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 6:58:51 PM10/6/07
to

____/ Gary Stewart on Saturday 06 October 2007 21:58 : \____

> <snip garbage>

Another impotent Gary Stewart (flatfish) nym.

plonk

--
~~ Best of wishes

.oʍʇ sɐ buıɥʇ ɥɔns ou s,ǝɹǝɥʇ 'ɹǝpuǝq 'ʎɹɹoʍ ʇ,uop :ʎɹɟ
.oʍʇ ɐ ʍɐs ı ʇɥbnoɥʇ ı puɐ ...ǝɹǝɥʍʎɹǝʌǝ soɹǝz puɐ sǝuo .ɯɐǝɹp 1nɟʍɐ uɐ
ʇɐɥʍ 'ɥɥɥɐ :ɹǝpuǝq

Message has been deleted

dragunovguy

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 7:57:02 PM10/6/07
to
Stephan
Will Autodesk Architecture and Revit Architecture work on Linux or
Ubuntu? Those are the two programs I make my living with and Autodesk
does not support Linux.
Do any of the popular FPS games like Ghost Recon, Halo, Splinter Cell,
or any of the top flight simulator games work on Linux or Ubuntu? When
I am not working those are the programs I like to play with.
I am asking because I genuinely want to know why I should ever
consider Linux. Most of the software offerings for Linux are pretty
lame. I know because I have friends that run Linux/Ubuntu and while
there are people trying to develop CAD programs and games that run on
a Linux box, none of those that I have seen would do me any good.
Quite honestly, I have a Vista Business running on a high end IBM
Intellistation that I can run the 2008 versions of the Autodesk
products I mentioned and they run very well. I cannot play any of my
favorite FPS or flight simulators on it, but I still have a dual Xeon,
4GB RAM machine running Win XP Pro that works great for those.
Should I switch to Linux just to get back at Microsoft and Gates? I
guess if you can be productive with Linux and get to use the programs
you want to with it maybe it is worth it. I cannot afford to because
my support from Autodesk and my reseller would be gone if I run those
products on Linux. I also do IT work for an architectural firm. They
keep saying they want to try a new MAC. That will be fine if they buy
one that is running Intel processors and Windows, because they use
Autodesk Architecture and Revit also. Those products do not run on a
Mac. Lots of people rag on Autodesk the same way a lot of the people
in this group rag on Microsoft. But when your living depends on
software you will run the OS and the software that makes you money.
I don't like the security problems with Windows and quite a few of the
other issues, but until the MAC/Linux/Ubuntu developers come up
software I can use I won't be switching.

Daryl
(In my lifetime)
four motorcycles, two race cars, one airplane

High Plains Thumper

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 8:10:36 PM10/6/07
to
bones...@gmail.com wrote:

Except that his "experience" is obvious that he has never really
tried Ubuntu nor any of the available applications. Cross
posting, comment spamming troll is back:

Message-ID: <1191704300....@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.89.101.4

http://www.projecthoneypot.org/i_0aeed376c44f48c5588fb4b1b020f886

[quote]
IP Address Inspector
216.89.101.4

The Project Honey Pot system has detected behavior from the IP
address consistent with that of a comment spammer. Below we've
reported some other data associated with this IP. This
interrelated data helps map spammers' networks and aids in law
enforcement efforts. If you know something about this IP, please
leave a comment.

Geographic Location [Canada] Canada (Toronto, Ontario)
Spider First Seen approximately 1 week ago
Spider Last Seen within 1 week
Spider Sightings 180 visit(s)
First Post On approximately 1 week ago
Last Post On within 1 week
Form Posts 137 web post submission(s) sent from this IP
[/quote]

ray

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 8:12:30 PM10/6/07
to
Then why would you be worried sick about it???

caver1

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 8:17:39 PM10/6/07
to

I agree. My son depends on Autodesk.
Autodesk is worse than MS when it wants money.
But that is not Linux's fault that they won't port to Linux.
They could port to Linux and still charge.
caver1

Blinky the Shark

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 9:41:56 PM10/6/07
to
TJ wrote:

Nope. His MID header wouldn't include anybody else's information,
only information about that post. (That's why it's called the
Message-ID header, and filtering on a MID is not filtering on the
body, where attributions would be.)

> XNews set to filter on the "reference header". Nor am I sure
> it's even possible. But I'll bet the Shark would know. :-)

He would. :)

Filtering on References is very much possible and frequently done,
by users of decent news clients, including Xnews. It's used for
filtering a thread or subthread. While I don't recommend this, an
example would be filtering on key string google in References,
which would kill anything in a [sub]thread that is beneath a
Groper's post[s].


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project moved to this site August 28th:
http://improve-usenet.org

bob

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 10:17:15 PM10/6/07
to

Do you live under a bridge?

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 10:15:16 PM10/6/07
to
"people use what they are given."
Yes, but they also use what they choose to purchase.

There have always been options and the sorry excuse "predatory
marketing" has been overused to explain what it can't because it is
false.

"the consumer had NO CHOICE"

And perhaps it is this FALSE belief that has contributed to the
stagnant growth of Linux.
A few years ago Dell offered Linux but it quietly faded away
presumably because of little or no interest.
There have always been choices and probably always will be.

Instead of making excuses and bashing Microsoft, Linux would be better
served by the users promoting their benefits instead of the
competitions liabilities.
When the competitions liabilities are the focus it seems clear that
there is little if no benefit of the other.

Politics is one of the few areas where bashing the competition is
rampant.
Otherwise most advertising is focused on the positives of the product.
Of course politicians in general are well loved because of their
bashing!

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"Gordon" <gbpl...@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:fe8ujp$md7$1...@news.mixmin.net...

bob

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 10:19:21 PM10/6/07
to

When you post in such a way that you look like a total jackass, why
would you expect anyone to waste their time trying to educate you?

Rick

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 10:23:21 PM10/6/07
to
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 21:18:24 +0000, John King wrote:

> If it works so great, why are so few people using it?

Why are you that stupid.. or dishonest?

--
Rick

Rick

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 10:24:07 PM10/6/07
to
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:07:35 -0700, bones4jones wrote:

> Notice the 'bury the head in the sand, it can't be true' reaction of the
> Linux zealots.
> As for Vista, it sucked.
> Didn't support my hardware and ran like shit.
>
> As for Linux, Ubuntu, it ran worse than shit. Vista stinks but Linux is


> free and stinks even worse.
>

> How the hell can you nuts justify something that is free yet virtually
> nobody is using it?
> It's like VD.
> It's free, many people get it, few pay for it, most wish they never got
> it.
> That's Linux.

You really do need to go take troll lessons.

--
Rick

*alan*

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 10:39:10 PM10/6/07
to

"Rick" wrote
[..]

> "You really do need to go take troll lessons." (in one post)
(and in another) > "Why are you that stupid.. or dishonest?"

You seem to specialize in pre high school one line put-downs.
But, do you actually have any cogent arguments FOR Linux?
Just wondering . . .

Rick

unread,
Oct 6, 2007, 10:57:32 PM10/6/07
to
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 02:39:10 +0000, *alan* wrote:

> "Rick" wrote
> [..]
>
>> "You really do need to go take troll lessons." (in one post)
> (and in another) > "Why are you that stupid.. or dishonest?"
>
> You seem to specialize in pre high school one line put-downs.

... the above jerk deserves them...

> But, do
> you actually have any cogent arguments FOR Linux? Just wondering . . .

It is Open Source...
It is Free, and in many instances free.
It is not tied to one vendor, such as Apple or Microsoft.
I use WP, SS, DB... browse the web, edit graphics, audio, video (well,
simple editing), convert those media formats between many formats, send
email, run web, email and ftp servers, IRC, IM, syc my Palm TX, edit web
pages ...

... I easily have multiple desktops so I can group projects ... and Linux
based distros have been my main desktop OSes for about 10 years..

... good enough?

--
Rick

High Plains Thumper

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 1:16:14 AM10/7/07
to
Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> "Gordon" wrote...

>
>> Because, up until a year or so ago, due to Microsoft's
>> predatory marketing practices, the consumer had NO CHOICE -
>> they were unable to buy a machine from any of the large
>> vendors with Linux pre-installed. And as we all know -
>> people use what they are given.
>
> "people use what they are given." Yes, but they also use what
> they choose to purchase.
>
> There have always been options and the sorry excuse "predatory
> marketing" has been overused to explain what it can't because
> it is false.

Predatory marketing has already been substantiated by court
cases, documents available on the Internet.

Reference USDOJ Memorandum Opinion, Page 197:

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/msdoj/2002/Lit11-1.pdf

[quote]
During this litigation, promises have been made on behalf of
Microsoft that the company will change its predatory practices
which have been part of its competitive strategy in order to
comply with the remedial decree. The Court will hold Microsoft’s
directors, particularly those who testified before this Court,
responsible for implementing each provision of this remedial
decree. Let it not be said of Microsoft that “a prince never
lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise,”84 for this Court
will exercise its full panoply of powers to ensure that the
letter and spirit of this remedial decree are carried out.

November 1, 2002
COLLEEN KOLLAR-KOTELLY
United States District Judge
[/quote]

> "the consumer had NO CHOICE" And perhaps it is this FALSE
> belief that has contributed to the stagnant growth of Linux. A
> few years ago Dell offered Linux but it quietly faded away
> presumably because of little or no interest. There have always
> been choices and probably always will be.

Lack of consumer choice is being proliferated by a multitude of
corporate actions by Microsoft:

http://www.consumerfed.org/pdfs/WINXP_anticompetitive_study.pdf

[quote]
A Resounding, Pro-Consumer Ruling Demands A Strong Remedy
To Prevent Future Harm

In a full bench review, the U.S. Appeals Court for the
District of Columbia Court unanimously affirmed the initial
ruling that Microsoft illegally maintained its monopoly in
operating systems. The Appeals Court upheld all lower court
Findings of Fact that Microsoft’s abuse of monopoly power harms
consumers by increasing costs, restricting choice, impairing
quality and retarding innovation.

In fact, as articulated by the courts, the central issue in
the case and the remedy phase is not whether we have innovation
in the software industry, but whether innovation is driven by a
vigorous competitive process, or managed by a single, dominant
firm that can choose, at any moment and with a vast, ever-
expanding supply of anti-competitive tactics, to protect and
promote its interest at the expense of consumers. The ruling has
been widely applauded by liberal and conservative commentators,
not only because of the importance of the software industry, but
also because of the reaffirmation of the role of antitrust in the
new economy.

The New Challenge: “Windows XP/.NET”

These findings are especially critical because Microsoft is
in the process of rolling out the most aggressive bundle of
products in its history – an operating system (Windows XP) with a
host of embedded applications (browser, messenger, media player)
that is intertwined with a wide array of Internet services
(Hailstorm and the .NET initiative). The bundle covers all of the
functionalities that are converging on the Internet including:

• Communications: E-Mail (Hotmail), Messaging (Microsoft
Messenger)
• Commerce: Identity Verification (Passport—names and
addresses), Utilities (e.g. Calendars, Contact Lists),
Transactions (e.g. documents, payment records)
• Multimedia Applications: Music and Video (Media Player
8), Digital Photography (My Pictures)
• Internet Services: MSN

Today these Internet activities are vigorously competitive,
just as the browser was before Microsoft launched its
monopolistic assault, but Microsoft requires computer
manufacturers to buy all of “Windows XP/.NET”, and laces the
bundle with technological and business practices that have
already been ruled illegal by the courts, such as the following:

• commingled code,
• proprietary languages,
• exclusive functionalities promoted by restrictive licenses,
• refusal to support competing applications,
• embedded links, and
• deceptive messages.

With the launch of “Windows XP/.NET” Microsoft is adding new
tactics to its anticompetitive campaign. For the first time,
Microsoft is requiring software developers to “pre-certify” their
software with Microsoft. It is also requiring that consumers
activate their operating system, and provide extensive
information to Microsoft. The operating system monitors the
computer on which it is installed—too many changes to the
computer configuration will make the software think it is being
used on a second PC. It will lock up and consumers will have to
contact Microsoft to reactivate it.

Microsoft’s anti-competitive leveraging also gets personal,
through an identity authentication service called Passport.
Microsoft has declared that “all Windows users will get a
Passport.” This identity authentication service will build a
massive proprietary database of personal information and
transactional details, by leveraging its illegally preserved
monopolies in operating systems, the browser, and office
applications.
[/quote]

> Instead of making excuses and bashing Microsoft, Linux would
> be better served by the users promoting their benefits instead
> of the competitions liabilities. When the competitions
> liabilities are the focus it seems clear that there is little
> if no benefit of the other.
>
> Politics is one of the few areas where bashing the competition
> is rampant. Otherwise most advertising is focused on the
> positives of the product. Of course politicians in general are
> well loved because of their bashing!

Fair and open competition in the market place will be best
encouraged at the government level, as demonstrated by this most
recent action by the European Union:

http://www.siia.net/press/releases/govt_09_17_2007.pdf

[quote]
Statement of the Software & Information Industry Association
(SIIA) On Today's Judgement by the European Court of First Instance

/Washington, DC (Septement 17, 2007)/ - Following today's
judgment by the Court of First Instance (CFI) in Luxembourg,
confirming in large part the conclusions of the European
Commission in March 2004 that Microsoft violated competition
laws, Ken Wasch, President of the Software and Information
Industry Association (SIIA), issued the following statement:

"Today's judgment by the European appeals court is a victory for
innovators and consumers everywhere. With this action, the only
option left for Microsoft is to immediately cooperate and fulfill
the requirements of the March 2004 Decision."

More than three years ago, the Commission found through an open
and transparent process that Microsoft had abused its dominant
position. Almost three years ago, the European Court of First
Instance rejected Microsoft's request to have the Decision
suspended pending resolution of its appeal.

"After one of the most thorough investigations in the history of
competition law, spanning over 7 years, the Commission has taken
a steady and decisive course. We applaud the leadership and
persistence of the European Commission, Commissioner Kroes,
former Commissioner Monti and their officials," Wasch continued.
[/quote]

This regarded opening the CFS/SMB network protocols that
Microsoft has made increasingly difficult for competitors to
utilize, which Microsoft failed to appropriately document. It
also regards the unbundling of Windows Media Player. Next, IMHO
will be the complete unbundling of Windows Operating systems with
hardware vendors.

--
HPT

elaich

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 2:07:32 AM10/7/07
to
TJ <T...@nothanks.invalid> wrote in
news:Roidnak6AruUkZXa...@comcast.com:

> There's no need to filter crossposting GGer's with Xnews. You just
> write the score-file as it pertains to the message ID, make it 'global'
> and you never see a post from a google-groper ever again.

I just have "Kill articles crossposted to more then (1) group" in setup.

--
A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

llan...@yahoo.com

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 3:03:45 AM10/7/07
to

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> "people use what they are given."
> Yes, but they also use what they choose to purchase.
>
> There have always been options and the sorry excuse "predatory
> marketing" has been overused to explain what it can't because it is
> false.
>
> "the consumer had NO CHOICE"
> And perhaps it is this FALSE belief that has contributed to the
> stagnant growth of Linux.


Well I think people just don't know what Linux is. They stay on the
safe path. Change is difficult.
However Linux is generally free so I assume the Computer companies
think that they will miss
out on some profits. I mean I assume they do make money off Windows as
the default OS
on their computers they sell.

Tattoo Vampire

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 4:05:13 AM10/7/07
to
*alan* wrote:

> You seem to specialize in pre high school one line put-downs.
> But, do you actually have any cogent arguments FOR Linux?
> Just wondering . . .

*alan*

Get fucked, you worthless scumbag.

Stephan Rose

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 4:23:28 AM10/7/07
to

Then...don't switch? It's that easy. You really think I personally care
what operating system you use? I honestly could not care less.

Couple of suggestions for you though:

First, learn to use paragraphs. It makes what you write much more
coherent and a lot easier to read.

Secondly, use the software and OS that meets your needs. Easy isn't it?

Charlie Tame

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 5:34:55 AM10/7/07
to
Hmmm... wonder how long it will be before WPA strikes :)

Actually this may be a sign of things to come...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=869&num=1


Stephan Rose

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 5:57:56 AM10/7/07
to

Now *THAT* is just too cool. =)

HEMI-Powered

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 7:37:24 AM10/7/07
to
added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

> After a not so great experience 'upgrading' to Vista, I
> decided to give Linux Ubuntu a chance.
> I had read all kinds of great, positive information about this
> version of Linux so I was looking forward to a change of pace.
> Seeing as I have never used Linux before, Ubuntu seemed to get
> the most hits on Google so I went for it.
>
> All I can say is thank God I didn't pay anything for this
> piece of crap.
> Really makes me wonder why Linux is free. I suppose that's the
> only way they can unload it on unsuspecting people like me.
> Holy shit!
> Virtually nothing works.

I've been quietly watching the Linux debate for years. My nephew
and PC builder really likes it but he views it as a hobby and
will sit up all night doing a full system rebuild. From time-to-
time, he tries to interest me in leaving the Dark Side and
joining the Force. So, I ask him the same question: is Linux
REALLY ready for prime time on the desktop? What I mean is, will
ALL my software run, my HD such as printer and scanner work, etc.
at all, or must I roll up my sleeves and become a techie again.
After lobbying me about open source, he eventually says,
sheepishly, "no, it's isn't ready quite yet, too many HW driver
issues, some things can only be done command line, GUI still
quirky, etc." I don't know what version he's using now, at one
time it was Red Hat.

I am going to just continue to do what doctors call "watchful
waiting" when they detect a condition that may be a problem but
not right this minute - in reverse. What I mean is, I read
threads like this one to see the varying views of people other
than my Linux "bigot" nephew, in using any version of Linux, how
they handle tech support, updates, and things like you discuss
below.

> I can't play my mp3 files.
> My porn doesn't play.
> My prionter does not print.
> My wireless network keeps dropping the connection.
> My 8 button mouse is now a 2 buton mouse.
> My widescreen LCD display is now displaying a frequency error
> box in the middle of the desktop.
> My ATI TV card won't work.
> I select help in various progams and I am met by a dialog box
> saying "Help has Not been Written Yet, if I would like to
> Contribute please contact etc"
>
> So now I have to write my own programs?
>
> I could go on but why bother?
>
> Anyone who wonders why Linux is stillborn should give Ubuntu a
> try and find out for themselves.
> Linux sucks.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Alfred

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 7:38:17 AM10/7/07
to
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 04:34:55 -0500, Charlie Tame <cha...@tames.net>
wrote:

Commodore 64 for the 21 century?

It's probably the way things will go especially with ever larger
memory modules becoming available. Definitely for mobile computers.

HEMI-Powered

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 7:51:04 AM10/7/07
to
[snip]

> Notice the 'bury the head in the sand, it can't be true'
> reaction of the Linux zealots.
> As for Vista, it sucked.
> Didn't support my hardware and ran like shit.
>
> As for Linux, Ubuntu, it ran worse than shit.
> Vista stinks but Linux is free and stinks even worse.
>
> How the hell can you nuts justify something that is free yet
> virtually nobody is using it?
> It's like VD.
> It's free, many people get it, few pay for it, most wish they
> never got it.
> That's Linux.
>
I don't think that "virtually nobody is using it" is accurate. I
don't know the numbers, but I think that overall Linux "market
share" is rising, probably fueled by PC OEMs offering it as an
alternative to Windows or in a 2nd boot partition as an option. I
might agree to accusing users who think Linux is fine are
zealots, but I think that is way too strong, and may be viewed as
an insult plus it most certainly will cause you to lose
credibility here. That is partially why I put quotes around
"bigot" in describing my nephew. When discussion the many things
that do not work for you and people that have the same version
that you do, or some other, claim they DO work, I believe it. I
do NOT dis-believe you, I'm just saying that it may be pointless
to argue with someone where you say "X doesn't" work and the
other person says that it does. It is entirely possible in
today's quirky PC environment with complex mixes of mobo, video,
HD, specific apps and utilities, HW, and all that stuff running
from current version to old, so-called legacy apps.


Back to my nephew for a minute. I don't think he is suffering ANY
for-real failures, and he has a LOT of stuff on his PC, so he
might be on the "zealot" end of the scale. His observation was,
though, that, yes, you do need to do some of your own software.
Now, the "zealots" and "bigots" will come after me, but for all
the good people reading my comments, please understand that I am
insulting no one nor refuting their testimony. It also explains
why /I/ and still way to confused to jump ship on XP.

Now, Vista is another story. I would not even consider going to
Vista until at least SP1, perhaps SP2. I prefer to let the early
adopters beta test with their Visa cards, I won't. Call me a
"head in the sand " Luddite if you like, but I want to do the
same watchful waiting on Vista. In my personal case, I will
likely NOT do an upgrade on current PC. I would most likely dump
my wife's older, slower machine (yes, I love her, she just
doesn't do anything that needs a fast machine so she a happy
camper), give her my XP Pro SP2 box, and get a new PC built with
native Vista on it, preferably as a retail version, not OEM. I'm
not big on upgrading an existing machine because any excess
baggage in the Registry, drivers, etc. will be partially
compromized, and perhaps corrupted to the point they no longer
work.

Which brings me to your complaints. Did you buy you PC with Vista
on it, then install Linux, or did you upgrade from XP to Linux? I
have found since Win 95 that it is MUCH better to do a clean
install than an upgrade.

Opinions on my slant to this would be appreciated.

--
HP, aka Jerry

DanS

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 8:38:47 AM10/7/07
to
llan...@yahoo.com wrote in news:1191740625.237951.140250@
22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

> Well I think people just don't know what Linux is. They stay on the
> safe path. Change is difficult.
> However Linux is generally free so I assume the Computer companies
> think that they will miss
> out on some profits. I mean I assume they do make money off Windows as
> the default OS
> on their computers they sell.

How can the be missing out on profits....take Dell for example.....

Yes, you can get Ubuntu pre-installed, but the system actually cost like
$20 or $30 more than if it had Vista.

AND, Dell, while they will sell you the pre-installed Unubtu system, they
say outright they offer no support for it.

Sounds like a great deal for Dell if you ask me.....they don't pay for an
OEM version of Windows (save $$), will not provide support (save more
$$), and then charge more for the system (make more $$).

dennis@home

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 10:30:42 AM10/7/07
to

"Stephan Rose" <nos...@spammer.com> wrote in message
news:kNydnRCU0N45MJXa...@giganews.com...

Its not new stuff though.
Quite a few machines have shipped with embedded software to use features
without starting windows.
They don't appear to be reasons why people buy a machine and I don't expect
many will flock to the ASUS one either.

Its a bit silly really.. its a high performance motherboard that is intended
for games so the buyer is going to want to run windows.. the buyer is more
likely to just use the windows installed.

Tattoo Vampire

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 11:17:33 AM10/7/07
to
HEMI-Powered wrote:

> I don't know what version he's using now, at one
> time it was Red Hat.

And how many versions ago was that?

Bob Downonit

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 12:28:36 PM10/7/07
to
On 2007-10-06 16:58:20 -0400, bones...@gmail.com said:

> After a not so great experience 'upgrading' to Vista, I decided to
> give Linux Ubuntu a chance.
> I had read all kinds of great, positive information about this version
> of Linux so I was looking forward to a change of pace.
> Seeing as I have never used Linux before, Ubuntu seemed to get the
> most hits on Google so I went for it.
>
> All I can say is thank God I didn't pay anything for this piece of
> crap.
> Really makes me wonder why Linux is free. I suppose that's the only
> way they can unload it on unsuspecting people like me.
> Holy shit!
> Virtually nothing works.

> I can't play my mp3 files.
> My porn doesn't play.
> My prionter does not print.
> My wireless network keeps dropping the connection.
> My 8 button mouse is now a 2 buton mouse.
> My widescreen LCD display is now displaying a frequency error box in
> the middle of the desktop.
> My ATI TV card won't work.
> I select help in various progams and I am met by a dialog box saying
> "Help has Not been Written Yet, if I would like to Contribute please
> contact etc"
>
> So now I have to write my own programs?
>
> I could go on but why bother?
>
> Anyone who wonders why Linux is stillborn should give Ubuntu a try and
> find out for themselves.
> Linux sucks.


What a tool!

Stephan Rose

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 12:35:08 PM10/7/07
to

You just don't get it and probably never will, right?

Of course nobody is going to use this as their operating system so your
entire point you were trying to make just went down the drain.

The point of this whole thing is that this is possible to do with Linux
whereas it'd be impossible to do with something like Vista. When it comes
to embedded products, Windows just falls flat on it's face.

Message has been deleted

dennis@home

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 1:08:51 PM10/7/07
to

"Stephan Rose" <nos...@spammer.com> wrote in message
news:eKydnfJOxos...@giganews.com...

> On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 15:30:42 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
>
>> "Stephan Rose" <nos...@spammer.com> wrote in message
>> news:kNydnRCU0N45MJXa...@giganews.com...
>>> On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 04:34:55 -0500, Charlie Tame wrote:
>>
>>>> Actually this may be a sign of things to come...
>>>>
>>>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=869&num=1
>>>
>>> Now *THAT* is just too cool. =)
>>
>> Its not new stuff though.
>> Quite a few machines have shipped with embedded software to use features
>> without starting windows.
>> They don't appear to be reasons why people buy a machine and I don't
>> expect many will flock to the ASUS one either.
>>
>> Its a bit silly really.. its a high performance motherboard that is
>> intended for games so the buyer is going to want to run windows.. the
>> buyer is more likely to just use the windows installed.
>
> You just don't get it and probably never will, right?

You, as usual get the wrong end of the stick.

> Of course nobody is going to use this as their operating system so your
> entire point you were trying to make just went down the drain.
>
> The point of this whole thing is that this is possible to do with Linux
> whereas it'd be impossible to do with something like Vista. When it comes
> to embedded products, Windows just falls flat on it's face.

Who said it didn't fall flat on its face?
There are a few embedded windows products about BTW so it is not impossible.
What falls flat on its face is the idea of putting a mini preboot OS in a
PC.
Its been done before and it didn't work, I see no reason for this to change
ATM.
Now if they put a similar bit of software in a really cheap small MB and got
someone to manufacture a suitable matching touch screen things might be
different.

dennis@home

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 1:10:40 PM10/7/07
to

"sittingduck" <sitti...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
news:Xns99C26294FCB36du...@invalid.quakefour.net...

> Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
>
>> Instead of making excuses and bashing Microsoft, Linux would be better
>> served by the users promoting their benefits instead of the
>> competitions liabilities.
>> When the competitions liabilities are the focus it seems clear that
>> there is little if no benefit of the other.
>>
>> Politics is one of the few areas where bashing the competition is
>> rampant.
>
> Don't forget religion.

That's different.
People join a religion because it makes them superior to everyone that isn't
a member.
Oh.. maybe you are right.

Adam Albright

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 1:15:03 PM10/7/07
to
On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 18:08:51 +0100, "dennis@home"
<den...@killspam.kicks-ass.net> wrote:

>"Stephan Rose" <nos...@spammer.com> wrote in message

>> You just don't get it and probably never will, right?


>
>You, as usual get the wrong end of the stick.

Your problem is you have a stick up your ass or is that your own head?

dennis@home

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 1:35:00 PM10/7/07
to

"Adam Albright" <A...@ABC.net> wrote in message
news:ut4ig3l06i8oevnso...@4ax.com...
Your problem is you are irrational.
You will always do the wrong thing and look stupid so learn to live with it.
You may as well forget about giving out your advice too as everyone thinks
you are crazy and ignores you except for the odd moment they are bored and
want to play.

chrisv

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 2:02:52 PM10/7/07
to
bones4jones wrote:

> All I can say is

*plonk*

chrisv

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 2:05:00 PM10/7/07
to
Rick wrote:

>> If it works so great, why are so few people using it?
>
> Why are you that stupid.. or dishonest?

Gosh, you don't suppose it's a troll who has repeated the same idiocy
countless times, and had it explained to him countless times?

Stephan Rose

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 2:10:01 PM10/7/07
to
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 18:08:51 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

> "Stephan Rose" <nos...@spammer.com> wrote in message
> news:eKydnfJOxos...@giganews.com...
>> On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 15:30:42 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
>>
>>> "Stephan Rose" <nos...@spammer.com> wrote in message
>>> news:kNydnRCU0N45MJXa...@giganews.com...
>>>> On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 04:34:55 -0500, Charlie Tame wrote:
>>>
>>>>> Actually this may be a sign of things to come...
>>>>>
>>>>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=869&num=1
>>>>
>>>> Now *THAT* is just too cool. =)
>>>
>>> Its not new stuff though.
>>> Quite a few machines have shipped with embedded software to use
>>> features without starting windows.
>>> They don't appear to be reasons why people buy a machine and I don't
>>> expect many will flock to the ASUS one either.
>>>
>>> Its a bit silly really.. its a high performance motherboard that is
>>> intended for games so the buyer is going to want to run windows.. the
>>> buyer is more likely to just use the windows installed.
>>
>> You just don't get it and probably never will, right?
>
> You, as usual get the wrong end of the stick.

Seeing how my end of the stick doesn't have much of windows on it, I like
it very much.

>
>> Of course nobody is going to use this as their operating system so your
>> entire point you were trying to make just went down the drain.
>>
>> The point of this whole thing is that this is possible to do with Linux
>> whereas it'd be impossible to do with something like Vista. When it
>> comes to embedded products, Windows just falls flat on it's face.
>
> Who said it didn't fall flat on its face? There are a few embedded
> windows products about BTW so it is not impossible. What falls flat on
> its face is the idea of putting a mini preboot OS in a PC.

Yea I know about WinCE. It's about the last environment I'd want to use
for any embedded product. Oh and, embedded software is among the software
I write for a living. Microsoft's embedded compiler is beyond outdated
dating back to Visual Studio 6 days. MS' newer environments are only able
to use the .Net Compact Framework for CE Development which is about as
inappropriate for embedded development as it can only get.

When I write embedded software I want and need low level access to my
hardware and every bit of speed I can find. Not a high-level abstracted
object oriented language with a garbage collector and runtime checking
and no direct hardware access that MS wants me to use.

Dunno what went over Microsoft's head there....

> Its been done before and it didn't work, I see no reason for this to
> change ATM.

Well it obviously isn't intended to be actually used as a daily use OS
for the computer. But I can quite well see the uses for diagnostics,
trouble shooting, or plain simple testing when I go to build a new
system. It also would make a far more excellent environment to do things
like reflash the bios from.

> Now if they put a similar bit of software in a really cheap small MB and
> got someone to manufacture a suitable matching touch screen things might
> be different.

Check out Ubuntu Mobile. It is intended for precisely *that* using Intel
hardware and just blows Windows CE out of the water.

Rick

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 2:15:58 PM10/7/07
to

mmmmm... could be ...

--
Rick

dennis@home

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 2:56:32 PM10/7/07
to

"Stephan Rose" <nos...@spammer.com> wrote in message
news:e8udnZa5NapkvZTa...@giganews.com...

I used to do that before I did bigger and, maybe, better things.
I have written in ASM86, PLM86, C, java amongst others.
I quite liked RMX86 as a kernel myself.. did some X25 firmware in that.

> Microsoft's embedded compiler is beyond outdated
> dating back to Visual Studio 6 days. MS' newer environments are only able
> to use the .Net Compact Framework for CE Development which is about as
> inappropriate for embedded development as it can only get.
>
> When I write embedded software I want and need low level access to my
> hardware and every bit of speed I can find.

When you work on realtime control systems like telephone exchanges you have
different requirements to windows and Linux.
Linux sure doesn't give realtime responses in the varieties most people talk
about here so just because someone calls it linux doesn't mean it is linux.

> Not a high-level abstracted
> object oriented language with a garbage collector and runtime checking
> and no direct hardware access that MS wants me to use.

Write a driver then.. that's what I did when I needed real-time response in
Unix.
Its not a problem if you need to do it.

>
> Dunno what went over Microsoft's head there....
>
>> Its been done before and it didn't work, I see no reason for this to
>> change ATM.
>
> Well it obviously isn't intended to be actually used as a daily use OS
> for the computer. But I can quite well see the uses for diagnostics,
> trouble shooting, or plain simple testing when I go to build a new
> system. It also would make a far more excellent environment to do things
> like reflash the bios from.

It might be a bit risky if its in the same rom as the bios.

>> Now if they put a similar bit of software in a really cheap small MB and
>> got someone to manufacture a suitable matching touch screen things might
>> be different.
>
> Check out Ubuntu Mobile. It is intended for precisely *that* using Intel
> hardware and just blows Windows CE out of the water.

No need really, its fairly easy to write a run to completion real time
scheduler.

Adam Albright

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 3:01:03 PM10/7/07
to

Play with this:

http://usversusthem.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/bush-finger.jpg

While I never would try to speak for others, I think the sentiment
Bush is conveying in the above image is typical of what most think of
blowhards like you.

dennis@home

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 3:24:45 PM10/7/07
to

"Adam Albright" <A...@ABC.net> wrote in message
news:dtaig3h22dd216cul...@4ax.com...

How come everything you say could be about you.. no probably is about you?
Do you have some sort of mental problem that requires you to keep saying
things that are true of you but that you need to attach to others? Maybe to
convince yourself that you are normal?
I bet you could tell us the name if you read your notes again.

Rich

unread,
Oct 7, 2007, 3:44:57 PM10/7/07
to

> Because, up until a year or so ago, due to Microsoft's predatory marketing
> practices, the consumer had NO CHOICE - they were unable to buy a machine
> from any of the large vendors with Linux pre-installed. And as we all
> know - people use what they are given.

The Market isn't political.

If people wanted Linux they'd be offered it in a heartbeat.

It is not offered because there is NO INTEREST.

Dell is trying again. It will end like the last time.
Someone muttering at a Monday morning sales meeting, "what the hell did we
do that for" ?

and ... look!

there is that 'we ALL KNOW' phrase again. heh
Funny how that always pops up in the place of proofs.

I use what I choose.
Catchy isn't it?


... and one more thing, about those predatory posting practices?


Rich

Juarez

unread,
Oct 8, 2007, 2:25:13 AM10/8/07
to

Unlike Vista, Linux requires you to engage your brain. All of your above
issues on Ubuntu are fixable. If you can't take the initiative to learn
how to fix the issues then Linux is not for you.

Gordon

unread,
Oct 8, 2007, 4:00:02 AM10/8/07
to
"Rich" <r.g...@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:u$rEXqRCI...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

>
>> Because, up until a year or so ago, due to Microsoft's predatory
>> marketing
>> practices, the consumer had NO CHOICE - they were unable to buy a machine
>> from any of the large vendors with Linux pre-installed. And as we all
>> know - people use what they are given.
>
> The Market isn't political.
>
> If people wanted Linux they'd be offered it in a heartbeat.
>

Market "political"? What sort of a STUPID statement is that?
A Market is FINANCIAL you dumbass, and MS has been proven to have put
financial pressure in the past on OEMs to NOT offer any other OS except
Windows (up until a couple of years go). Unfortunately they have been doing
that for so many years without any sort of check on them, that yes, most of
the world equates computers with windows.
People don't ask for Linux BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW ABOUT IT.......and
they've never been TOLD about it....even now, if you go into somewhere like
PC world and ask for a machine with Linux installed, most of the "salesmen"
will just go "eh"?


Desk Rabbit

unread,
Oct 8, 2007, 6:22:13 AM10/8/07
to
Robin T Cox wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:07:35 -0700, bones4jones wrote:
>
>> Vista stinks but Linux is free and stinks even worse.
>
> So what are you using now?
Crayons I guess

chrisv

unread,
Oct 8, 2007, 9:06:13 AM10/8/07
to
HEMI-Powered wrote:

>I've been quietly watching the Linux debate for years. My nephew
>and PC builder really likes it but he views it as a hobby and
>will sit up all night doing a full system rebuild. From time-to-
>time, he tries to interest me in leaving the Dark Side and
>joining the Force. So, I ask him the same question: is Linux
>REALLY ready for prime time on the desktop? What I mean is, will
>ALL my software run,

You want ALL of your Windows software to run under Linux? Do you
think that's reasonable?

>my HD such as printer and scanner work, etc.
>at all, or must I roll up my sleeves and become a techie again.
>After lobbying me about open source, he eventually says,
>sheepishly, "no, it's isn't ready quite yet, too many HW driver
>issues, some things can only be done command line, GUI still
>quirky, etc."

Ever consider that your nephew is without a clue? In reality, none of
those things are real and significant issues.

>I don't know what version he's using now, at one
>time it was Red Hat.
>
>I am going to just continue to do what doctors call "watchful
>waiting"

You will wait a long time, if you expect to be able to switch without
learning some new ways of doing things.

chrisv

unread,
Oct 8, 2007, 9:08:48 AM10/8/07
to
Juarez wrote:

>Unlike Vista, Linux requires you to engage your brain. All of your above
>issues on Ubuntu are fixable.

Do you mean the list of lies, copied almost verbatim from a previous
troll, are fixable? Or do you mean being a bald-faced liar is a
fixable mental condition?

caver1

unread,
Oct 8, 2007, 9:16:51 AM10/8/07
to


He probably complains about how bad the roads are then complains when
they fix them.
caver1

HEMI-Powered

unread,
Oct 8, 2007, 10:52:04 PM10/8/07