Re: Digest for 1858-playtest-discussion@googlegroups.com - 16 Messages in 3 Topics

hza...@aol.com

Jan 17, 2011, 8:52:14 PM1/17/11
to 1858-playtes...@googlegroups.com
I am still reading and looking everything over (just downloaded yesterday).  Following the conversation regarding Portugal.  In many of the 18xx games, certain companies are better than others to start out.  In others, the number of players can affect how the game plays due to the way things start.  Just a thought, if the routes are so poor initially, could you not reverse order the payout somewhat. Without calling it a port, could one or two cities in Portugal start out with a higher amount that decreases in the mid-game and then goes back up in the end?  It would allow the idea of a port without any real mechanic behind it.

Robert Schroeder

    From: john boocock <john...@yahoo.com>
    Subject: Re: Rule Questions
    To: 1858-playtes...@googlegroups.com
    Date: Monday, 17 January, 2011, 11:08

    hi ian

    i agree that initially starting in portugal is a sure fire way of not being first.

    starting in barcelona, or madrid, or in the 'southern trio' works, i've done all three, i think, and won with each option.

    i think it is the difficulty to getting to madrid early with a portugal start.

    the only thing i could think of to sort, would be to increase the value of the lisbon and possibly oporto tiles.

    but this might unbalance the rest of the game.

    john b

    Justin Rebelo <justin...@gmail.com> Jan 17 09:47AM -0800 ^

    This seems thematically accurate, given that coastal portugal (where
    the money is in real life) is separated from spain by a mountain
    range.

    Ian, have you considered making Portugal more viable by creating one
    or more off-board locations on the west of the map? Portugal has long
    been a nation built on trading through its sea ports. It seems to me
    like a northern off-board to northern europe or Great Britain
    (Portugal's oldest ally) and maybe an off-board to North American or
    something further in the south-west which represents trade to the
    mediterranea, africa or south america would help make Portugal a more
    viable place to start a company and seems fitting with the geography
    etc.

    Ian D Wilson <ianwil...@btinternet.com> Jan 17 06:17PM ^

    Adding an off-map port or two (pun intended) to Portugal sounds like an interesting proposition. The main drawback (that I can see) is that the Spaniards are going to clamour for some ports in Spain (e.g. Cadiz to the Americas), and by the time I'm finished there will be too many good routes all over the place.
    Although overseas trade was the lifeblood of both Portugal & Spain in earlier times, I think it was less important for the railways in this period.

    This seems thematically accurate, given that coastal portugal (where
    the money is in real life) is separated from spain by a mountain
    range.

    Ian, have you considered making Portugal more viable by creating one
    or more off-board locations on the west of the map? Portugal has long
    been a nation built on trading through its sea ports. It seems to me
    like a northern off-board to northern europe or Great Britain
    (Portugal's oldest ally) and maybe an off-board to North American or
    something further in the south-west which represents trade to the
    mediterranea, africa or south america would help make Portugal a more
    viable place to start a company and seems fitting with the geography
    etc.

    Justin Rebelo <justin...@gmail.com> Jan 17 10:23AM -0800 ^

    You may be right. I was just throwing it out there as a way to
    encourage SOME interest in the Portuguese region, as the concensus
    already seems to be that it's a loser and will presumably sit until
    the spanish companies expand into that region making those companies
    viable.

    The Spanish already have the highest valued cities in the game plus
    they have the massive French off-board region.

    At least one port out of Oporto or Lisbon seems to make sense
    considering how spare that side of the map is.

    Barring that, another possibility that comes to mind is forcing
    Portuguese development by introducing a mechanic which forces a
    company to start developing that region but had some kind of trade-off
    so that the player who gets it isn't a loser right from the start. I'm
    referring to something like the Frisco in 1870, which is unique from
    all other companies in the game by starting with only the presidency
    (which must be purchased in the opening ISR) and gets full
    capitalisation.

    john boocock <john...@yahoo.com> Jan 17 06:27PM ^

    hi ian

    i spose its abit like 1861, in that everyone likes to start a moscow company, for the initial extra income, and later a through route via moscow, not just to moscow.

    doesn't the big private leading lisbonwards start second? not in the first group of privates?

    possibly change it to the first group? in exchange for a madrid one, or a southern one?

    john b

    John Shelley <john.s...@orange.fr> Jan 17 07:39PM +0100 ^

    On 17/01/2011 19:27, john boocock wrote:

    > doesn't the big private leading lisbonwards start second? not in the first group of privates?

    > possibly change it to the first group? in exchange for a madrid one, or a southern one?

    > john b

    Initially my thought was also sea borne traffic, however, maybe high
    value initially, and dropping over time as railways took away the
    coastal traffic. i.e. the port only represents "local" trade and not
    the suggested trans-atlantic.

    Another thought.
    If Portugal starters are actually such pigs, why not move all to second
    phase of launching so that they would have something to build into and
    also help prevent a novice committing suicide in the first few turns.

    --
    Cheers for now,

    John, from St Ciers 33820, France

    Justin Rebelo <justin...@gmail.com> Jan 17 10:59AM -0800 ^

    Continuing this thought, if you wanted something smaller than
    trans-atlantic trade to buff up the portuguese coast, you could
    thematically make it a connection to the Azorean islands. The small
    archipelago of islands in the Atlantic has been part of Portugal for
    hundreds of years and for a long time it was a stopping point for
    ships sailing across the atlantic. So, local trade between mainland
    Portugal and the Azores was initially more significant until ships got
    large enough and then aircraft started to appear and eventually the
    Azores became more of an rural autonomous community. The USA
    eventually installed an airforce base on the Azorean island of
    Terceira, as further evidence of it's relative significants in the
    region. Portugal and Spain battled over the islands in the years prior
    to the setting of the game, because of its strategic importance. It
    could be a good case for a portuguese off-board which starts high for
    early incentive but then trickles off or just doesn't ramp up like
    other locations.

    Ian D Wilson <ianwil...@btinternet.com> Jan 17 08:06PM ^

    Perhaps a rule like the IC in1846 (which starts with an extra share's worth of capital)? Call it a grant from the Portuguese government. But I suspect the main problem is lack of routes, not capital.

[...]

    Justin Rebelo <justin...@gmail.com> Jan 17 12:10PM -0800 ^

    I think you're right that a bit of capital alone might not address the
    problem (if it's a problem - I'm not saying it is).

    IC also gets free tile lays in its starting region. So you could also
    borrow from that concept. Or perhaps bonus tile lays for the company
    starting in Portugal so that it offsets the poor starting location by
    at least being able to expand a bit quicker to what little money is
    available?

    Ian D Wilson <ianwil...@btinternet.com> Jan 17 08:16PM ^

    The Madrid-Caceres-Portugal, of which you write, won't help because the early trains are H-trains and Madrid is too far from Lisbon (with very little inbetween). Also, it didn't historically start till later (the numerical order of the privates is approximately the order they started).

    Unlike 1861, the Madrid companies are not the best ones at the start: the routes around Barcelona and in Andalusia are better. Madrid tokens are more important once you get to the permanent trains.

[...]

    Ian D Wilson <ianwil...@btinternet.com> Jan 17 08:23PM ^

    My thoughts are for port(s) worth a fixed, medium value (20-30, say). They would be very useful early on with H-trains, but mostly irrelevant in the later game with E-trains and everything is 40+.

    It's important that the two Portuguese privates start from the beginning, or there will be a permanent under-development of Portugal (plus, they really did start at the same time as the Spanish companies).

    On 17/01/2011 19:27, john boocock wrote:

    > doesn't the big private leading lisbonwards start second? not in the first group of privates?

    > possibly change it to the first group? in exchange for a madrid one, or a southern one?

    > john b

    Initially my thought was also sea borne traffic, however, maybe high value initially, and dropping over time as railways took away the coastal traffic.  i.e. the port only represents "local"  trade and not the suggested trans-atlantic.

    Another thought.
    If Portugal starters are actually such pigs, why not move all to second phase of launching so that they would have something to build into and also help prevent a novice committing suicide in the first few turns.

    -- Cheers for now,

    John, from St Ciers 33820, France

    Justin Rebelo <justin...@gmail.com> Jan 17 12:25PM -0800 ^

    I think your suggested solution and reasoning are both sound. A little
    boost of early value for the Portuguese companies is all it sounded
    like was required, and as you say, later in the game those ports will
    become mostly irrelevant.

    Ian D Wilson <ianwil...@btinternet.com> Jan 17 08:31PM ^

    One advantage of a port is that they don't generally have a name (other than "Port of Lisbon", I suppose). Players can then justify them in their minds whichever way they like, if they feel the need for such justification.

[...]

    john boocock <john...@yahoo.com> Jan 17 11:01AM ^

    hi ian

    i think you need something in the rules to specifically say that you cannot buy to more than 60% of a company.

    also, in the same rule, you need to say that if you get to more than 60% by 'private exchange', then that is ok, AND YOU NEED NOT SELL DOWN TO 60%.

    this is so key to the game.....

    john b

    hza...@aol.com Jan 16 11:39PM -0500 ^

    >consider the design to be essentially complete and are looking for
    >people to vet the rules or are you interested in comments on changing
    >the game?
    I'll answer this one in a separate mail, since it's likely to be a long answer...

    Ian,

    Then you might want to post it. I find as I playtest, I am looking for different things and I might not find a problem until I've played it a few times. Knowing what parts, if any, are open to rewrite/modification might help me out a bit.

    My two cents, so far.

    Robert Schroeder

    From: Jose-san <josesan...@hotmail.com>
    Subject: Toponyms
    To: "1858 playtest discussion" <1858-playtes...@googlegroups.com>
    Date: Sunday, 16 January, 2011, 22:30

    Just to point out two minor typos on the map:

    Cacares -> Caceres
    Huevla -> Huelva

    Jose

    Topic: 1858_zip_20110115.zip

    Dave4B <walama...@o2.co.uk> Jan 16 05:51AM -0800 ^

    "... he nominates one of the unsold Private Companies and bids a
    multiple of £5 ..."
    What is the exchange rate berteen Pounds and Pesetas?

    "Phase 4 starts on the purchase of the first 6H/4M Train."
    I think you mean 6H/3M.

    I'd suggest applying colour to the Charters, to make them easier to
    associate with the tokens/shares.

    Printing "Available after first 4H/2M is purchased" in Green might
    highlight the phase the secondard Privates are available.

    Ian D Wilson <ianwil...@btinternet.com> Jan 16 03:26PM ^

    >"... he nominates one of the unsold Private Companies and bids a
    >multiple of £5 ..."
    >What is the exchange rate berteen Pounds and Pesetas?
    Ooops. £1=P1

    >"Phase 4 starts on the purchase of the first 6H/4M Train."
    >I think you mean 6H/3M.
    Yes.

    >associate with the tokens/shares.
    >Printing "Available after first 4H/2M is purchased" in Green might
    >highlight the phase the secondard Privates are available.
    Noted.

    Ian D

    "Gregory R. Payne" <shrapn...@gmail.com> Jan 16 09:33PM ^

    How big is the bank? The rules don't say, and I can't remember.

    Greg

    Ian D Wilson <ianwil...@btinternet.com> Jan 16 10:20PM ^

    Doh!!!
    Sorry, a Homer Simpson moment there.
    The bank size is 12,000.

    Ian D

Ian D Wilson

Jan 18, 2011, 12:28:47 PM1/18/11
to 1858-playtes...@googlegroups.com
This is indeed an option, but it might look odd if Lisbon was worth a lot more than Madrid and Barcelona at the start. Also, there's a difference between running one train to the port and two trains to an inflated Lisbon.