Need info

Ajit Nair

Feb 14, 2014, 3:05:23 AM2/14/14
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com

One of my client is using a solaris based storage , that storage is using ZFS filesystem . i want to know how can i mount the ZFS filesystem on a mac and see it as a HD to pull and push the data into it ..Looking forward for a solution ...

X Bytor

Feb 14, 2014, 5:40:27 AM2/14/14
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 2:05 AM, Ajit Nair <ajitna...@gmail.com> wrote:

One of my client is using a solaris based storage , that storage is using ZFS filesystem . i want to know how can i mount the ZFS filesystem on a mac and see it as a HD to pull and push the data into it ..Looking forward for a solution ...

As far as I understand things, as long as your OS X ZFS version is compatible with your Solaris ZFS version you're fine. If the OS X ZFS version is too old (likely) you may have to do a NFS or SMB mount, both of which are not optimal. Do let us know how things turn out regardless.

Jason Belec

Feb 14, 2014, 7:03:43 AM2/14/14
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Currently you would probably need the 'in-development' version of ZFS to read more advanced variants from Solaris. Unless its version 8 or older ZFS for Solaris which will be unlikely.

--
Jason Belec
Sent from my iPad

---

Ajit Nair

Feb 14, 2014, 7:09:03 AM2/14/14
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com, zfs-...@googlegroups.com
I can check the version of zfs in solaris and keep you posted about it ..

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "zfs-macos" group.

Jason Belec

Feb 14, 2014, 8:20:41 AM2/14/14
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Well if you connect the Solaris pool to your current system and import. You will know right away if it works. If not you can move up to the Mac-OSX development version and try assuming you understand and consent to the implications. I would recommend backups of your current data and the solaris data before you start experimenting. ;)

--
Jason Belec
Sent from my iPad

Ajit Nair

Feb 14, 2014, 8:33:04 AM2/14/14
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Hi jason,

Want to know , can i use a portable HD for the same purpose , can i make any portable HD alike rather than experimenting in their unit..

Sent from my iPhone

Jason Belec

Feb 14, 2014, 8:57:07 AM2/14/14
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, just clone the drive forensically (bit by bit) then work with the dupe. You can use DD (free), or many other tools like it, or use a harddrive cloning rig. Always the safe choice to work on clones. ;)

--
Jason Belec
Sent from my iPad

ilov...@icloud.com

Feb 14, 2014, 2:06:58 PM2/14/14
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
ddrescue is an even better choice because it is resumable. It's available on homebrew.

example:

ddrescue -f /dev/disk2 /dev/disk3 ~/mylogfile.log

If you need to stop it, control+c, and when you're ready to resume, rerun the same command, using the same log file.

ddrescue -f /dev/disk2 /dev/disk3 ~/mylogfile.log