XND and Mac OSX 10.5.8

David Kennedy

Jul 28, 2011, 10:38:04 AM7/28/11
to xnat_discussion
Hi, I'm trying to run xnat desktop (xnd) on Mac OSX 10.5.8

I followed the chmod instructions at
http://groups.google.com/group/xnat_discussion/browse_thread/thread/df7e71851534c69a

This 'works' only long enough to generate an error "An error has
occurred, see the log file".

The log file contents is included below, but I can't make heads or
tails of it.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Dave Kennedy

=====

!SESSION 2011-07-28 10:35:59.022
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.5.0_30
java.vendor=Apple Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86, WS=carbon, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -keyring /Users/dave/.eclipse_keyring -
showlocation
Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws carbon -arch x86 -keyring /
Users/dave/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2011-07-28 10:35:59.692
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Plug-in org.nrg.xnat.desktop
was unable to load class org.nrg.xnd.app.XNDApp.
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.throwException(RegistryStrategyOSGI.java:
180)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.createExecutableExtension(RegistryStrategyOSGI.java:
164)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ExtensionRegistry.createExecutableExtension(ExtensionRegistry.java:
874)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:
243)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElementHandle.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElementHandle.java:
51)
at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:
189)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:
110)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:
79)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:
368)
at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:
179)
at
39)
at
25)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:559)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)
Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number
in .class file
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.defineClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:
183)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.defineClass(ClasspathManager.java:
576)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findClassImpl(ClasspathManager.java:
546)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClassImpl(ClasspathManager.java:
477)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass_LockClassLoader(ClasspathManager.java:
465)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:
445)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.findLocalClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:
211)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findLocalClass(BundleLoader.java:
381)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:
457)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:
410)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:
398)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:
105)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.loadClass(BundleLoader.java:
326)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.loadClass(BundleHost.java:
231)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.loadClass(AbstractBundle.java:
1193)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.createExecutableExtension(RegistryStrategyOSGI.java:
160)
... 15 more

Mikhail Milchenko

Jul 28, 2011, 5:09:38 PM7/28/11
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You'll need to update Java to 1.6 version. Try searching for java update through the standard update on your Mac.

- Misha

David Kennedy

Jul 28, 2011, 7:19:07 PM7/28/11
to xnat_discussion
Arg, I'm still in Java pain, I've done the http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1359
update:

About Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 10

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 10 delivers improved compatibility,
security, and reliability by updating J2SE 5.0 to 1.5.0_30, and
updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_26 for 64-bit capable Intel-based Macs.

I'm running 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

> java -version from a terminal says:
java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03-384-9M3425)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02-384, mixed mode)

But the XND error persists with a similar log file. Is there any
cryptic configuring I have to do to make it so xnd sees my java
version "1.6.0_26"???

Guess I need a new computer ;-(

====

!SESSION 2011-07-28 19:12:10.863
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.5.0_30
java.vendor=Apple Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86, WS=carbon, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -keyring /Users/dave/.eclipse_keyring -
showlocation
Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws carbon -arch x86 -keyring /
Users/dave/.eclipse_keyring -showlocation

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2011-07-28 19:12:11.524
On Jul 28, 5:09 pm, Mikhail Milchenko <jemi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You'll need to update Java to 1.6 version. Try searching for java update
> through the standard update on your Mac.
>
> - Misha
>

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:38 AM, David Kennedy <dnkenn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, I'm trying to run xnat desktop (xnd) on Mac OSX 10.5.8
>
> > I followed the chmod instructions at
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/xnat_discussion/browse_thread/thread/d...

Archie, Kevin

Jul 29, 2011, 12:48:29 AM7/29/11
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
David,

Have you tried using /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences to set your default Java implementation? Depending on how exactly things are set up, it might be necessary for you to log out and back in, or even to restart your machine, after changing that selection.

- Kevin

The material in this message is private and may contain Protected Healthcare Information (PHI). If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return mail.

Herrick, Rick

Jul 29, 2011, 10:22:53 AM7/29/11
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
Check the value of the PATH and JAVA_HOME environment variables. If those are still pointing to a 1.5 JDK, that's your issue.

Also, you may also want to look at the symlinks under /usr/bin or wherever your java/javac commands are coming from (just do which javac). There are also symlinks to various versions of the JDK. They'll be something like /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions and see what's set as current. That's how mine's set up on 10.6.8, so the folders may be a bit different on 10.5. I can't vouch for the technical accuracy of this post, but it may help:

http://memerocket.com/2009/08/06/upgrade-os-x-10-5-8-to-jdk-1-6/

Christian Haselgrove

Aug 3, 2011, 12:09:21 PM8/3/11
to xnat_discussion
Even with Java 1.6 set up correctly xnd fails to start, complaining
that it can't load libserver.dylib (which does exist; see below).
This is only a problem on Mac OS 1.5, not 1.6. I can't find anything
helpful for this on line (most of the solutions recommend switching to
Java 1.5!) -- has anyone run into this before?

Thanks,

macallan:~/Downloads/macosx.carbon.x86/xnd.app/Contents/MacOS$ java -
version
java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03-384-9M3425)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02-384, mixed mode)

macallan:~/Downloads/macosx.carbon.x86/xnd.app/Contents/MacOS$ ./xnd
JavaVM: Failed to load JVM: /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/
1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bundle/Libraries/libserver.dylib
JavaVM FATAL: Failed to load the jvm library.

macallan:~/Downloads/macosx.carbon.x86/xnd.app/Contents/MacOS$ ls /
System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bundle/
Libraries/libserver.dylib
/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/
bundle/Libraries/libserver.dylib*

Mikhail Milchenko

Aug 3, 2011, 1:36:38 PM8/3/11
to xnat_di...@googlegroups.com
xnd can be packaged with either carbon (earlier Mac) or cocoa (later Mac) eclipse libraries. Here's a reference which hopefully can help choose a right distribution for your Mac:
http://eclipse.dzone.com/articles/eclipse-galileo-mac-cocoa-or.

Although I never had a problem with using carbon distribution, trying cocoa for newer Mac's may be worth a shot.
Please try 32 bit or 64 bit cocoa versions (I added distributions v0.93 to download directory: http://nrg.wustl.edu/xnd/download/) and see if it helps.

- Misha

Christian Haselgrove

Aug 3, 2011, 4:30:31 PM8/3/11