Partial derivative in xTensor

Stephanie Baines

Feb 22, 2018, 6:53:05 AM2/22/18
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hello,

I am just starting with xTensor and wanted to calculate the partial derivative of the determinant of a metric (I'm looking into Kaluza-Klein reduction and need to compute this). I have done it by hand and agree with my reference but I get a sign difference when using xTensor.

I have uploaded my mathematica file and the document with the reference formula (Eq A.7 page 176). I think I am misunderstanding the partial derivative in xTensor.

Thank you for your help!
Stephanie
xAct-Trial2.nb
9807171-RiccardoArgurio.pdf

Jose

Feb 23, 2018, 10:47:59 AM2/23/18
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
Hi,

I think xTensor's result is consistent with the formula you mention. They are just written slightly differently. You need the identity:

PD[-c][g[a, b]] == - g[a, d] g[b, e] PD[-c][g[-d, -e]]

which adds the missing sign.

In fact, xTensor canonicalizes the LHS into the RHS of that identity automatically.

Cheers,
Jose.

Lyudmil Antonov

Jun 19, 2018, 11:51:39 AM6/19/18
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
How can I make xTensor to not automatically canonicalize the metric partial derivatives or at least to delay the canonicalization? For some calculations I need the partial derivatives to be in the form PD[-c][g[a, b]]  order to simplify some expressins by contraction. For example, trying to calculate the Landau-Lifshitz pseudotensor in terms of partial derivatives of metric densities in this notebook
LLpseudotensor.nb

Lyudmil Antonov

Jun 20, 2018, 9:42:26 AM6/20/18
to xAct Tensor Computer Algebra
I solved the problem using Hold but isn't there some more elegant solution?