wxGlade GUI builder release 0.8.0

Dietmar Schwertberger

Mar 26, 2018, 6:24:33 AM3/26/18
to wxPython-users

Hi!

I'm pleased to announce the availability of wxGlade revision 0.8.0 from the download page https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxglade/files/wxglade/0.8.0/

wxGlade is a GUI builder for wxPython/wxWidgets.
Revision 0.8 is a major change. If you have evaluated previous versions, please give 0.8 a try.

A snapshot of the included documentation is also available here: http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/docs/index.html

Major changes compared to 0.7.x:

  • Support for wxPython Phoenix and Python 3
  • More consistent user interface.
  • Rewritten documentation / tutorial and examples; the target audience includes people who are just starting with wxPython.
  • Repeat feature (Ctrl-R and Ctrl-Y) to apply property change(s) to multiple widgets
  • new Menu and Toolbar editors
  • support for GridBagSizer

Generated Code:

  • bind menu handlers without the need for user-defined IDs
  • default file encoding is now UTF-8

Internal:

  • very major refactoring of property handling, code generation and sizers
  • reformatted code and comments to be more compact
  • always use DestroyLater to avoid crashes
  • less redundant calls to widget.Show() to reduce display errors
  • better handling of size changes due to fonts
  • refactored testing

The changes from the last beta versions:

  • some bug fixes
  • examples for Custom Widget updated and documented:
    matplotlib, html, html2, py shell, SpeedMeter

Especially the Matplotlib examples should be very useful if you're implementing data analysis applications.

The project repository is now on GitHub: https://github.com/wxGlade/wxGlade

The bug tracker is here: https://github.com/wxGlade/wxGlade/issues
(It's also linked from the help menu.)

The plans for 0.9:

  • change user interface (combine Palette, Tree and Properties windows)
  • support events from the base classes and the addition of any event type as text
  • code properties: use stc and resize dynamically
  • toolbar and maybe menu editor: add Drop target for images
  • Notebook: add context menu entries 'add page' / 'remove page'
  • option to remove all the BEGIN/END wxGlade comments in the generated code (only with overwrite True)
  • lib.buttons (feature request #45 Add support for generic buttons)
  • Button: support more images (for normal, disabled, pressed, focus, current)
  • WrapSizer, maybe also StdDialogButtonSizer

Regards,

Dietmar

Robin Dunn

Mar 26, 2018, 1:20:45 PM3/26/18
to wxPython-users
Congrats Dietmar!

--
Robin

Karsten Hilbert

Mar 26, 2018, 2:34:01 PM3/26/18
to wxPython-users
On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 10:20:45AM -0700, Robin Dunn wrote:

> Congrats Dietmar!

+1

Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD 4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Xaviou

Mar 28, 2018, 10:45:32 AM3/28/18
to wxPython-users

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 7:20:45 PM UTC+2, Robin Dunn wrote:
Congrats Dietmar!

--
Robin

+1

Just a small remarq : the shebang in wxglade.py and wxglade.pyw prevent to run wxGlade with Python 3
I simply had to remove the version and all worked fine.

Regards
Xav'

Dietmar Schwertberger

Mar 28, 2018, 11:30:20 AM3/28/18
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
On 3/28/2018 4:45 PM, Xaviou wrote:
> Just a small remarq : the shebang in wxglade.py and wxglade.pyw
> prevent to run wxGlade with Python 3
> I simply had to remove the version and all worked fine.

Thanks for the info. I'm not using the shebang mechanism, so I did not
notice.

I will change to 3 with one of the next releases. Starting with "python3
wxglade.py" should work, though.

Regards,

Dietmar

Xaviou

Mar 28, 2018, 12:01:17 PM3/28/18
to wxPython-users
Hi
Perhaps not specifying the version should be better : it will use the default installed python version
#!/usr/bin/env python
instead of
#!/usr/bin/env python2
(it worked for me)

Regards
Xav'

Rich Shepard

Mar 28, 2018, 12:19:32 PM3/28/18
to wxPython-users
On Wed, 28 Mar 2018, Xaviou wrote:

> Perhaps not specifying the version should be better : it will use the
> default installed python version
> *#!/usr/bin/env python*
> instead of
> *#!/usr/bin/env python2*
> (it worked for me)

Xav',

Two observations from here: 1) I have both Python2 and Python3 installed
because some applcations require Python2; and 2) the new wxGlade requires
wxPython-4.0.1 to start with Python3. I'm having issues building
wxPython-4.0.1 so wxGlade loads only when started with Python2.

Rich

Xavier Perrissoud

Mar 28, 2018, 1:01:54 PM3/28/18
to wxpytho...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
I only have Python 3.6 on Windows 10 and wxGlade runs fine with the latest wxPython snapshot build installed from wheels :

I did not test under Linux (Debian Stretch) yet (I'll try ASAP to give feedback)

Regards
Xav'

sebastian lópez

Mar 29, 2018, 10:04:29 AM3/29/18
to wxPython-users
Hi, it sound nice, I'll give it a try.

Thanks to your effort

Emre

Mar 29, 2018, 3:53:27 PM3/29/18
to wxPython-users
Hi, this new study made me very happy. And there are thousands of users who are rejoicing like me.

We will fix the "accessibility" areas of your claim. There are many areas without labels. Screen readers can not detect them. Some checkboxes and edit fields are unlabeled.

Buttons, text fields ... I think we need to drag them into a frame we created. Unfortunately, the blind can not use the mouse. You need to define keyboard shortcuts for this and develop other methods.
I apologize if I could not; I did not have a chance to fully investigate.

Many people will design GUI with this tool. This is so beautiful. I think that the GUIs created can be scored for "accessibility" and can be shown to the developer. In this way, many people become sensitive.

If you need support, https://www.nvaccess.org will help you.