CloudMQTT & Belchertown Skin

G Hammer

Sep 24, 2018, 10:11:05 PM9/24/18
to weewx-user
Is anyone using CloudMQTT broker with the Belchertown skin?
I have data published to the broker, but will not connect via SSL/TLS Websockets.
I can connect via TLS websockets using a different client.

Tom Mitchell

Feb 10, 2019, 11:31:02 AM2/10/19
to weewx-user
Also wondering this.

vince

Feb 10, 2019, 12:26:51 PM2/10/19
to weewx-user
I'd lean toward it being a cert problem in how you configured Belchertown (just a guess)

Tom Mitchell

Feb 11, 2019, 6:52:37 AM2/11/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Never got it to work - just switched to hivemq and all is good.

--
Tom Mitchell
t...@tom.org

"The whole problem with the world
  is that fools and fanatics are
  always so certain of themselves,
  and wiser people so full of doubts."
  - Bertrand Russell

Colin Larsen

Feb 11, 2019, 1:38:08 PM2/11/19
to weewx-user
Same here. Built my own MQTT server, no problems at all

Colin

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "weewx-user" group.

Pat

Feb 11, 2019, 3:18:16 PM2/11/19
to weewx-user
Feel free to share your hivemq settings that worked for you and I'll update the skin's wiki file.

Tom Mitchell

Feb 11, 2019, 3:46:32 PM2/11/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Here is what worked for me:

[[MQTT]]
server_url = mqtt://broker.hivemq.com:1883
topic = topic/subtopic
unit_system = US
binding = archive, loop
aggregation = aggregate

[[[Extras]]]
# Set to 1 to enable the real-time streaming website updates from your MQTT broker (server)
mqtt_enabled = 1
mqtt_ssl = 0
mqtt_host = broker.hivemq.com # The MQTT broker hostname or IP
mqtt_port = 8000 # The port of the MQTT broker's Websockets port. Check your broker's documentation.
mqtt_topic = "topic/subtopic/#" # The topic to subscribe to for your weather data
disconnect_live_website_visitor = 1800000 #The number of seconds after a visitor has loaded your page that we disconnect them from the live streaming updates. The idea here is to save your broker from a streaming connection that never ends. Time is in milliseconds. 0 = disabled. 300000 = 5 minutes. 1800000 = 30 minutes

--
Tom Mitchell
t...@tom.org
Real Time Beverly, MA Weather
http://weather.tom.org

"The whole problem with the world
  is that fools and fanatics are
  always so certain of themselves,
  and wiser people so full of doubts."
  - Bertrand Russell

Pat

Feb 11, 2019, 3:49:01 PM2/11/19
to weewx-user
Thanks Tom. No need to authenticate to post to the topic? It's a public broker?

Tom Mitchell

Feb 11, 2019, 4:17:39 PM2/11/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Yes! That simple.

--
Tom Mitchell
t...@tom.org
Real Time Beverly, MA Weather
http://weather.tom.org

"The whole problem with the world
  is that fools and fanatics are
  always so certain of themselves,
  and wiser people so full of doubts."
  - Bertrand Russell

Brezentrager

Aug 2, 2019, 3:35:40 PM8/2/19
to weewx-user
Hi,
I'm now also using HiveMQ now. Generally it's working OK, but the website updates quite infrequently. Weewx sends MQTT messages almost every second, but the website receives updates sometimes after 10 seconds, sometimes after more than 30 seconds only.

Could be a workload issue of the server?
Do you have similar experiences?

Tom Mitchell

Aug 2, 2019, 3:41:59 PM8/2/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
I did have that issue. Loooong time to update. I wound up building my own server, which was easy and lightweight.

--
Tom Mitchell
t...@tom.org
Real Time Beverly, MA Weather
http://weather.tom.org

"The whole problem with the world
  is that fools and fanatics are
  always so certain of themselves,
  and wiser people so full of doubts."
  - Bertrand Russell

Brezentrager

rich T

Aug 2, 2019, 3:52:31 PM8/2/19
to weewx-user

Tom Mitchell

Aug 2, 2019, 3:55:20 PM8/2/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
I used this one: https://obrienlabs.net/how-to-setup-your-own-mqtt-broker/ - on Debian with no problems. I even put it in Packer so I can replace the server any time.

I did follow the instructions exactly though.

--
Tom Mitchell
t...@tom.org
Real Time Beverly, MA Weather
http://weather.tom.org

"The whole problem with the world
  is that fools and fanatics are
  always so certain of themselves,
  and wiser people so full of doubts."
  - Bertrand Russell

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/1d019f4d-d865-40ae-b2ad-42cf2e4b0a16%40googlegroups.com.

Brezentrager

Tom Mitchell

Aug 2, 2019, 4:00:46 PM8/2/19
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Let me know if I can help.

--
Tom Mitchell
t...@tom.org
Real Time Beverly, MA Weather
http://weather.tom.org

"The whole problem with the world
  is that fools and fanatics are
  always so certain of themselves,
  and wiser people so full of doubts."
  - Bertrand Russell

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/weewx-user/d4e568fb-a23d-4099-8d75-253bd0a87c3f%40googlegroups.com.

Brezentrager

Aug 3, 2019, 3:45:01 PM8/3/19
to weewx-user
Thanks, Tom!
Now the MQTT broker works on my vserver :)

Only the user and access control doesn't take effect. I've followed the respective instructions twice, but I still can publish without stating a user or password.
I also can post any random topic. Not just the one defined in the MQTT ACL file.

Am Freitag, 2. August 2019 22:00:46 UTC+2 schrieb Tom Mitchell:
Let me know if I can help.

--
Tom Mitchell
t...@tom.org
Real Time Beverly, MA Weather
http://weather.tom.org

"The whole problem with the world
  is that fools and fanatics are
  always so certain of themselves,
  and wiser people so full of doubts."
  - Bertrand Russell

Stefan

Aug 29, 2019, 8:23:32 AM8/29/19
to weewx-user
I have a problem. I have taken over the settings exactly as described. However, no real-time data is displayed in the skin. MQTT Broker is installed. The board is a raspberry. Settings in weewx.conf and Belchertown skin.conf I have also made. Here is the page https://www.meteo-oberwallis.ch/wetter/weewx/user/. I can not connected with de broker? Or do I have to adjust something else? As I said, I took this as a template.I have the Version 1.0.1.

Jacques Terrettaz

Aug 29, 2019, 8:59:45 AM8/29/19
to weewx-user
Its looks like MQTT is not enabled in your Belchertown skin.
Verify that in weewx.conf, you have :
[StdReport]
    [[Belchertown]]
        skin = Belchertown
        HTML_ROOT = belchertown
        [[[Extras]]]
        mqtt_websockets_enabled = 1

and verify that the options :
mqtt_websockets_host
mqtt_websockets_port
mqtt_websockets_topic
are set according to your MQTT broker configuration.