Can't get weewx gui to load on ubuntu 18.04-1 desktop

Robert Heselwood

Aug 11, 2018, 5:14:28 AM8/11/18
to weewx-user
I have downloaded the weewx 3.8.0-1 deb file and used the software installer to install weewx. After that I looked for the weewx program but I can't find any weex file which will load up as a gui.

What have I missed.

Greg from Oz

Aug 11, 2018, 5:59:58 AM8/11/18
to weewx-user
It doesn't create a gui that shows up in the software list.
It is text based.
You have to configure and start etc via command line.
The web pages get generated by the weewx program.

You have to get used to using the terminal and editing files.

Robert Heselwood

Aug 11, 2018, 7:51:24 AM8/11/18
to weewx-user

On Saturday, 11 August 2018 10:59:58 UTC+1, Greg from Oz wrote:
It doesn't create a gui that shows up in the software list.
It is text based.
You have to configure and start etc via command line.
The web pages get generated by the weewx program.

You have to get used to using the terminal and editing files.

Thanks for the links, and now I have to remove broken packages as per this:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 weewx : Depends: python-imaging (>= 1.1.6) but it is not installable

I'm not sure which broken pagages it is reffering to or is it just the python-imaging file.

Andrew Milner

Aug 11, 2018, 9:10:56 AM8/11/18
to weewx-user

vince

Aug 11, 2018, 10:44:31 AM8/11/18
to weewx-user
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 4:51:24 AM UTC-7, Robert Heselwood wrote:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 weewx : Depends: python-imaging (>= 1.1.6) but it is not installable

I'm not sure which broken pagages it is reffering to or is it just the python-imaging file.

If you do some google searching, that one is pretty easy to find the answer to...

Andrew Milner

Aug 11, 2018, 11:19:55 AM8/11/18
to weewx-user
Vince
It looks as though there may still be a problem on Mint systems (64 bit) with 3.8.1 according to the other thread running at the moment on this topic.

Robert Heselwood

Aug 11, 2018, 3:04:59 PM8/11/18
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link and there was a link in the discussion posted by Vince for a updated deb file, which installed without any errors.
The deb file is 3.8.1-1_all.deb.

vince

Aug 11, 2018, 6:19:31 PM8/11/18
to weewx-user
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 8:19:55 AM UTC-7, Andrew Milner wrote:
Vince
It looks as though there may still be a problem on Mint systems (64 bit) with 3.8.1 according to the other thread running at the moment on this topic.

yes - which I answered in the previous link.

Everybody - for current mint and ubuntu you need to manually download the 'dev' version of 3.8.1 and install it

Matthew/Tom are (I think) on vacation and are planning to release the official 3.8.1 real soon now after they get to 'have a life'...

Greg from Oz

Aug 11, 2018, 7:12:17 PM8/11/18
to weewx-user
Here is a link to Linux cheat sheet for commands etc

http://flip.it/nPt2fI

It's pretty good.

Robert Heselwood

Aug 12, 2018, 5:16:32 AM8/12/18
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the linux cheat sheet link and I've downloaded a couple of them to get me going for now. I have used a coupl of the said commands previously, but more is useful to have.

vince

Aug 12, 2018, 12:36:38 PM8/12/18
to weewx-user
On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 2:16:32 AM UTC-7, Robert Heselwood wrote:
Thanks for the linux cheat sheet link and I've downloaded a couple of them to get me going for now. I have used a coupl of the said commands previously, but more is useful to have.

Weewx needs to talk to the weather station to fully come up, then it takes the archive_period number of minutes to run its reports to generate the pages.

In your case, you don't have the station connected to the computer running weewx, so weewx is probably partially started and trying to talk to the station console (which you do not have connected, so it wouldn't ever complete).

Greg from Oz

Aug 18, 2018, 7:48:26 PM8/18/18
to weewx-user
This command is your friend but make sure you set the debug flag to 1 in /etc/weewx/weewx.conf  and restart weewx :

tail -f /var/log/syslog|grep weewx

It will show you a lot of what is happening.