Installation Problem on Mint 19 (32 bit) - python-imaging not available

James Greiner

Aug 6, 2018, 7:19:05 PM8/6/18
to weewx-user
Hello,

New user (and linux newbie)... Attempted to install weewx this evening per the Debian/Ubuntu/Mint instructions, and am getting a dependency error during install:

Running on Linux Mint 19 32 bit...

jim@weather:~$ sudo apt-get install weewx
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 weewx : Depends: python-imaging (>= 1.1.6) but it is not installable

Tried installing python-imaging separately, and appears to not be available:

jim@weather:~$ sudo apt-get install python-imaging
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package python-imaging is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  python-pil

E: Package 'python-imaging' has no installation candidate

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Jim

Glenn McKechnie

Aug 6, 2018, 7:44:43 PM8/6/18
to weewx-user
Hi James,

Try installing python-pil and see if that resolves the problem.
(It should, as apt is suggesting it, and weewx is configured to use it)

[...]
> However the following packages replace it:
> python-pil*

sudo apt-get install python-pil

--

Cheers
Glenn

rorpi - read only raspberry pi & various weewx addons
https://github.com/glennmckechnie

Conscience is the inner voice that warns us somebody may be looking.
-- H. L. Mencken, "A Mencken Chrestomathy"

James Greiner

Aug 6, 2018, 7:49:06 PM8/6/18
to weewx-user
Thanks Glenn... I'll try that in a bit and see if it allows the install to continue.

Jim

James Greiner

Aug 6, 2018, 8:09:22 PM8/6/18
to weewx-user
Installed all python-pil packages... did a re-boot... still getting the "weewx : Depends: python-imaging (>= 1.1.6) but it is not installable" error same spot and installation stops. :(

Jim

vince

Aug 6, 2018, 8:25:37 PM8/6/18
to weewx-user
On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 5:09:22 PM UTC-7, James Greiner wrote:
Installed all python-pil packages... did a re-boot... still getting the "weewx : Depends: python-imaging (>= 1.1.6) but it is not installable" error same spot and installation stops. :(

This will be in 3.8.1 when it's released eventually.

The .deb file is in http://www.weewx.com/downloads/development_versions/ if you wanted to grab it from there then install the .deb from a local file

James Greiner

Aug 6, 2018, 8:33:19 PM8/6/18
to weewx-user

Thanks Vince... Out of time tonight, but will give that a try tomorrow and post results.

Jim

James Greiner

Aug 6, 2018, 9:05:24 PM8/6/18
to weewx-user
Couldn't wait so downloaded 3.81... Success, and have my station back on line!,,, Need to update my longitude though... should be West and comes up as East

Thanks again for both of your help!

Jim

ian kitchen

Aug 11, 2018, 11:10:18 AM8/11/18
to weewx-user
Hello all

I'm in a similar situation - ( Mint 19 64-bit ) and I have done the various things mentioned in this thread but still get the same error. Even after running the development deb I get: Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: python-imaging(>=1.1.6)

Any suggestions?

Regards
IK

James Greiner

Aug 11, 2018, 1:32:32 PM8/11/18
to weewx-user
Ian.... Did you install the python "pils" packages first?... The pils package replaced python-imaging which had been deprecated... After installing pils, the development package installed without error on my 32 bit version Mint 19

Jim

ian kitchen

Aug 11, 2018, 2:27:53 PM8/11/18
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim - yes I installed the pils first but still ended up with same error.

Ian

James Greiner

Aug 11, 2018, 2:53:39 PM8/11/18
to weewx-user
I will be trying the 64 bit version next weekend & let you know (decided the machine I have 32 bit on now not fast enough)...

I did check, and have both python-pils and python3-pils installed, along with python-pils-dbg, -doc,  .imagetk, .imagetk-dbg and python3 versions of same packages... if you don't have both python & python3 versions installed you might try adding the ones you are missing... not sure which "flavor" weewx prefers...

If I discover something next weekend when I rebuild Mint x64 will post an update.... Good luck!
Jim
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to weewx-user+...@googlegroups.com.

Pat

Aug 11, 2018, 3:39:32 PM8/11/18
to weewx-user
I installed Linux Mint 19 64 bit in a virtual machine real quick to test this out. Here's what I did to get it to install and work:

The same instructions below will work on Ubuntu 18.04

wget -qO - http://weewx.com/keys.html | sudo apt-key add -
wget
-qO - http://weewx.com/apt/weewx.list | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/weewx.list

Having these keys loaded will allow you to do an apt upgrade in the future when necessary.

Then install the Python PIL package, download the development version of weewx, and install the development version of weewx.

sudo apt update

sudo apt install python
-pil

wget http
://weewx.com/downloads/development_versions/weewx_3.8.1-1_all.deb

sudo apt install
./weewx_3.8.1-1_all.deb

Once you complete the install and entering in your station data, run this command to make sure it's working:

sudo systemctl status weewx

You should see something similar to the below. They key thing to look at is "Active: active (running)"

weewx.service - LSB: weewx weather system

Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/weewx; generated)

Active: active (running) since Sat 2018-08-11 15:34:42 EDT; 2min 15s ago

Hope this helps!

ian kitchen

Aug 12, 2018, 7:47:47 AM8/12/18
to weewx...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all replies.  I now have it running. Error was my own fault - I  downloaded the development version but by not paying attention to the version number, tried to install the original again. Apologies to all. The development version works fine as suggested. Now some configuration questions - I'd better start another thread......

Regards
IK