learning curve?

Literate Aspects

Feb 8, 2016, 9:35:41 PM2/8/16
to web2py-users
I tried django ... to discover HUGE learning curve
I tried Qt ... to discover moderate learning curve

I can amateur code in VBA and want to transfer that same code function to a webapp with database.

My question, how many hours or days or months would it take to develop a simple application that controls a web page to enter data into?

Jon

Massimo Di Pierro

Feb 8, 2016, 9:43:05 PM2/8/16
to web2py-users
It depends. what does the data look like?

Thomas Bellembois

Feb 9, 2016, 3:49:54 AM2/9/16
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

I have spent a long time studying the different Python Web frameworks to develop a small chemical products management application and I have choosen Web2py mainly because of its fast learning curve (and also the active community).
The official documentation is a really good point to start.

Start with few pages to play with the model-controller-view structure and see.

Regards,

Thomas
--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Literate Aspects

Mar 21, 2016, 8:37:52 PM3/21/16
to web2py-users
Hi Thomas,

Is there anything like: http://is.gd/pzcxYe a UI framework?

Jon

Literate Aspects

Mar 21, 2016, 8:39:22 PM3/21/16
to web2py-users
Hi, I am sorry, I just now read your reply - VERY SORRY, did not mean to be rude.  I really seek a little advisement to begin coding in Web2PY.

Is there anything like: http://is.gd/pzcxYe a UI Framework for Web2Py?

Dave S

Mar 21, 2016, 8:46:14 PM3/21/16
to web2py-users

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 5:37:52 PM UTC-7, Literate Aspects wrote:
Hi Thomas,

Is there anything like: http://is.gd/pzcxYe a UI framework?

Jon

web2py has a default UI environment.  For more details, see my answer in your other thread.

/dps

Massimo Di Pierro

Mar 21, 2016, 8:53:05 PM3/21/16
to web2py-users
you are not being rude at all. :-)

http://is.gd/pzcxYe is a client side framework (js) while web2py is server side. They are complementary and can work together. Once you learn the basics of web2py (chapter 3 of the book) you should be able to use it with Kendo.

pbreit

Mar 22, 2016, 4:04:56 AM3/22/16
to web2py-users
I look at Django and Rails every 6 months or so and still come back to web2py as being the easiest and most logical to get going.

Specifying the DB on models works really well. And the convention of laying out files corresponding to URL routes works out really well.

Literate Aspects

Mar 22, 2016, 9:02:11 AM3/22/16
to web2py-users
Hi Dave S,  I can't wait to see this Web2PY UI environment.  Thank you for your reply, shall view the other post.

Jon

Literate Aspects

Mar 22, 2016, 9:04:47 AM3/22/16
to web2py-users
Hi Massimo, thank you for your reply.  Chapter 3?  I printed out the tutorial from killer-web-development which was referred to me by pythonanywhere and am going to complete that tutorial today, Chapter 3 is in the Web2Py main documentation book?

Jon

Literate Aspects

Mar 22, 2016, 9:09:15 AM3/22/16
to web2py-users
Hi Pbreit, thank you for your reply.  I tried Django and did not appreciate the developer community over there.  I have read that Python is an extremely deep level language and can accomplish anything with it.  I am still trying to understand what Web2Py is?  Is it a script language?  Is it like VBA?  I don't see any IDE so I did not understand how to create objects without writing code, are there components within Web2PY?  I am sorry for the very basic questions - I really want to learn Web2Py, and am REALLY grateful for any and all responses.

Jon

Literate Aspects

Mar 22, 2016, 9:19:25 AM3/22/16
to web2py-users
Hi Massimo, I did not realize that YOU are the author of the Web2PY main book, I really have a high respect for a person like YOU THAT shares there time with people like me, whom are seeking to aspire to a level of literacy of programming that you have achieved.  What an incredible donation of unselfishness, wow!  Thank you!  People like YOU is what the world could be IF others had a US attitude instead of ME attitude.

I am going to jump in and read your book cover to cover and buy the hardbound edition as soon as I realize what Web2PY is.

Jon

Rimantas Nedzinskas

Mar 22, 2016, 10:07:06 AM3/22/16
to web2py-users
For me personally, one of the best learning sources are videos. Take a look at the web2py series: https://vimeo.com/104800778

Rimas

Literate Aspects

Mar 22, 2016, 12:43:22 PM3/22/16
to web...@googlegroups.com
ok, thank you Rimantas Nedzinskas, shall view the web2py video series.
Is there a tutorial on Lynda.com as well ?

Jon
> --
> Resources:
> - http://web2py.com
> ---
> Google Groups "web2py-users" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/web2py/AEP4UjLMlMc/unsubscribe.
ELEVATOR PRINCIPLE: People can be the wind beneath our wings or the anchor
on our boat. We can decide to lift people UP or take people DOWN in our
relationships. http://anyflip.com/rdip/egzs/basic

Massimo Di Pierro

Mar 22, 2016, 6:52:14 PM3/22/16
to web2py-users
It is a framework like Django but it is easy to use, packs more feature, and has a more friendly community. ;-)

Literate Aspects

Mar 22, 2016, 8:56:05 PM3/22/16
to web2py-users
Hi Rimantas, I viewed the vimeo video of Massimo and really liked it, but where is the "series" you mentioned, the video only played ONE video.

Jon

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 7:07:06 AM UTC-7, Rimantas Nedzinskas wrote:
For me personally, one of the best learning sources are videos. Take a look at the web2py series: https://vimeo.com/104800778

Rimas

Literate Aspects

Mar 22, 2016, 9:06:14 PM3/22/16
to web2py-users
Sorry, found it:  http://www.web2py.com/init/default/documentation THANK you for all your responsiveness.  Jon

Michael Beller

Mar 23, 2016, 8:16:23 AM3/23/16
to web2py-users
Hi Jon,

I just posted my sample app, called Starter, that uses:

You can read about it here:

and download it here:

billmac...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2016, 9:25:20 AM3/23/16
to web2py-users
Hi Michael,

I looked at the preview of the starter app. However I am not seeing the dashboard icons (like attached). Is it something I need to configure in the app or there are some specific setups?

Bill.
dashboard.png

Michael Beller

Mar 23, 2016, 12:28:21 PM3/23/16
to web2py-users
Those should appear after you log in (but are hidden for guests).

Were you logged in?

billmac...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2016, 1:37:36 PM3/23/16
to web2py-users
No I wasn't. I am looking fwd to the stable version that works out of box. Nice work btw!

Literate Aspects

Mar 23, 2016, 1:50:17 PM3/23/16
to web...@googlegroups.com
I am looking at your online app but do not understand its purpose. I
shows a lot of data representations, and says "Alexander Pierce" is
online.

Jon
> Google Groups "web2py-users" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/web2py/AEP4UjLMlMc/unsubscribe.

Literate Aspects

Mar 23, 2016, 1:53:34 PM3/23/16
to web...@googlegroups.com
It seems to be some sort of display of 'components' ?

Looks cool, hopefully today I can discover how the 'components /
widgets' can be utilized in a project?

Thank you.

Jon

Dave S

Mar 23, 2016, 2:31:44 PM3/23/16
to web2py-users

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 10:53:34 AM UTC-7, Literate Aspects wrote:
It seems to be some sort of display of  'components' ?

Looks cool, hopefully today I can discover how the 'components /
widgets' can be utilized in a project?

Thank you.

Jon

Well, imagine your data being presented this way instead of the Dog Database.

Then take a look at the source code.

I think Michael intended this to be easy to understand .  From a quick look, you should be able to follow most of his code if you can read the examples in Chapter 3 of the Web2Py book (you've seen that link, I noticed).

/dps

Literate Aspects

Mar 23, 2016, 2:36:55 PM3/23/16
to web2py-users
EXCELLENT!  Dave S.  on point... thank you!

Shall do, beginning with Massimo's chapter 3.

Thank you for your kindness.

Jon