Future releases and support

Arnab Dutta

Sep 10, 2017, 7:02:41 PM9/10/17
to web2py-users
Hi,

Are there any plans of future releases of web2py as there have been no significant activities this year? I quite enjoy working on the framework so would like to know if it is worth investing time on this to build a tool as opposed to Flask/Django?
Thanks,
Arnab

Anthony

Sep 10, 2017, 9:55:11 PM9/10/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what you mean. We just had a major release in July (v2.15), with a few quick minor follow-ups (the most recent only 9 days ago).

If you look at the web2py and pyDAL repositories, you will see there has been a good amount of development activity during the past year, just no new releases until the recent 2.15 (kept getting postponed to finalize Python 3 support).

Anthony

Arnab Dutta

Sep 11, 2017, 2:46:17 AM9/11/17
to web2py-users
Thanks Anthony, just what I wanted to know whether the framework and community is still active as I am building some internal tools for my company on web2py. Most of te tutorials and documents were from 2016 and before so wasn't sure how active the framework was when compared to te likes of Django/Flask and Tornado.

Thanks

Anthony

Sep 11, 2017, 7:48:50 AM9/11/17
to web2py-users
On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 2:46:17 AM UTC-4, Arnab Dutta wrote:
Thanks Anthony, just what I wanted to know whether the framework and community is still active as I am building some internal tools for my company on web2py. Most of te tutorials and documents were from 2016 and before so wasn't sure how active the framework was when compared to te likes of Django/Flask and Tornado.

web2py is fairly mature, so development is perhaps a little less active than it used to be, but commits are still being made consistently, documentation is being updated, and in terms of support, this Google Group continues to be very active.

Anthony

Massimo Di Pierro

Sep 21, 2017, 1:18:14 AM9/21/17
to web2py-users
I second what Anthony said. There are less commits because the code is solid and grew up to be quite complex. Also we are thinking about where to go from here.

greenpoise

Sep 27, 2017, 6:13:59 PM9/27/17
to web2py-users
To me and this is my opinion only, I have followed web2py for as long as I can remember. The difference between web2py and flask or even web2py and ruby (just to name another framework/language) is that web2py examples are outdated and very limited. I am able to find more updated tutorials on flask or ruby than what I am able to find for web2py. Even Pyramid goes deeper. Digging into this group is a chore and a very frustrating one. So if you ask me, where do you go from here if the code is solid and quite complex, Documentation period. Give me examples that can be used in todays world,  that look nice and feel nice. So that means examples that include all the bell and whistles that make an application look and feel nice. Provide a good solid tutorial/example on SaaS from the ground up and you got my fair share. I dont mind paying for documentation/tutorials/udemy whatever but give the users a full scope within one place and to be honest, we are talking about a tutorial that is complementary to the manual that it is in place. Is not like destroying the manual that it is in place. Just an addition. Charge for it, I'll buy it just like I did the first few versions of the documentation. I really like web2py but every time I comeback to build something, I have to look for hours on how to do that one thing.

just my 2 cents.

cheers

Massimo Di Pierro

Sep 30, 2017, 7:44:23 PM9/30/17
to web2py-users
Can you provide a few examples of things you can find howto for Flask and not for web2py? I am curious.

greenpoise

Oct 1, 2017, 1:22:32 PM10/1/17
to web2py-users
Ill post one now:

https://www.udemy.com/the-build-a-saas-app-with-flask-course/

On Scotch there is also a few very good ones complete tutorials

Marvi Benedet

Oct 2, 2017, 8:37:17 AM10/2/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
When I was looking for an easy to learn framework for building a web application, I tried some: Django, Flask, Pyramid and so on. As I had very limited time to invest, I found that the one that was best explained was web2py.

I saw the Massimo's videos and all was so easy and clear. I wasn't expert in writing this kind of applications. After those video I was able to write a good one. And it suits my needs very very well.

So, for me, web2py is the best and easy framework to learn. Can't compare with others on performace, robustness and other aspect, but, I repeat,  for the ease to learn was the best.

Marvi

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

greenpoise

Oct 2, 2017, 1:54:25 PM10/2/17
to web2py-users
I think maybe I didnt explain myself correctly. Massimo posted "we are thinking were do we go from here". No doubt Web2py is the easiest but how far can we go with it? yes, I bet you you can do anything that flask does. Now, are the resources out there accessible? are the examples outdated? in my opinion they are. And skimming on google groups for answers is painful. I bet you the tutorial I posted from Udemy, can be done in a fraction of the time if built with Web2py. So all in all, I am not targeting web2py, I am just offering suggestions as to where can this project go from its mature stage.

Dave S

Oct 2, 2017, 2:46:33 PM10/2/17
to web2py-users

Is that one provided by the flask core developers?

Also, Michael Beller has been working on a replacement for the welcome app.  I thought he had a thread to introduce it, but I'm not seeing that just now.  But he has a link posted in this article:
<URL:https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py/NqrRM1qhLnQ/IMaFBEiuAwAJ>

/dps

黄祥

Oct 2, 2017, 8:52:11 PM10/2/17
to web2py-users
trying web2py starter on michael beller github, it's cool
is it going to embed in next web2py version? as an alternative scaffolding apps maybe.
another things is i think the MENU() and auth.navbar() is implicit that makes hard for developer to modify it, just a suggestion why not make MENU and auth.navbar() in current web2py layout a bit more explict, like in web2py starter (define the UL(LI() ), etc so that developer or new developer just can change the class or id that they want according to their css)

best regards,
stifan