Fwd: The Wait Is Over

Krista Nordback

Dec 3, 2015, 1:47:17 PM12/3/15
to walk-bi...@googlegroups.com, Steven Jessberger, jerem...@dot.gov, djo...@dot.gov, Peyton McLeod, t...@sprinkleconsulting.com, Scott Brady, Martin, Lindsay, Shawn Turner, Rose, Eliot, Sirisha Kothuri
Hope springs eternal that perhaps some new device can solve our pedestrian counting woes. Does anyone have experience with this for pedestrian or bicycle counting?
-Krista

Krista Nordback, Ph.D., P.E.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Transportation Research and Education Center (TREC)
Portland State University
office:  503-725-2897

Dec 3, 2015, 1:58:42 PM12/3/15
to Krista Nordback, walk-bi...@googlegroups.com, Steven Jessberger, jerem...@dot.gov, djo...@dot.gov, Peyton McLeod, t...@sprinkleconsulting.com, Scott Brady, Martin, Lindsay, Shawn Turner, Rose, Eliot, Sirisha Kothuri

First I have seen of this. I am forwarding on to Planning groups I work with as an FYI and to see if they have used this.

Jeffrey L Emerson

Regional Planning Supervisor

WISDOT, NW Region

Mark Noll

Dec 3, 2015, 2:15:36 PM12/3/15
to Emerson, Jeffrey - DOT, Krista Nordback, walk-bi...@googlegroups.com, Steven Jessberger, jerem...@dot.gov, djo...@dot.gov, Peyton McLeod, t...@sprinkleconsulting.com, Scott Brady, Martin, Lindsay, Shawn Turner, Rose, Eliot, Sirisha Kothuri
Midtown Alliance in Atlanta has ordered one. We hope to test it out in the coming weeks.

Bruce...@dot.gov

Dec 3, 2015, 2:20:59 PM12/3/15
to Jeffrey...@dot.wi.gov, nord...@pdx.edu, walk-bi...@googlegroups.com, Steven.J...@dot.gov, jerem...@dot.gov, djo...@dot.gov, pmc...@sprinkleconsulting.com, t...@sprinkleconsulting.com, sbr...@dvrpc.org, Lindsay...@icfi.com, Shawn-...@tamu.edu, Eliot...@icfi.com, skot...@pdx.edu

Krista, I haven’t seen this but it looks interesting. I just forwarded it to my FedsOnBikes list to see if anyone has any experience with it.

Bond, Mathew TRAN:EX

Dec 3, 2015, 2:32:04 PM12/3/15
to Bruce...@dot.gov, Jeffrey...@dot.wi.gov, nord...@pdx.edu, walk-bi...@googlegroups.com, Steven.J...@dot.gov, jerem...@dot.gov, djo...@dot.gov, pmc...@sprinkleconsulting.com, t...@sprinkleconsulting.com, sbr...@dvrpc.org, Lindsay...@icfi.com, Shawn-...@tamu.edu, Eliot...@icfi.com, skot...@pdx.edu

Just got off the phone with them. Interesting pricing model: $100 a month per data point, or $75 a month if you sign up for a year. Volume discounts would apply.

A data point is defined a one “line” drawn in the camera and you get a bidirectional count of traffic across that line. You don’t have to buy the sensor as they can use live streams, if you have those available from your existing cameras. Didn’t get too much into the specifics.

Mathew Bond, P.Eng

ITS Engineer, Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure

Office: 604-527-2278

Cell: 604-783-9650
Suite 310 – 1500 Woolridge Street, Coquitlam, BC V3K 0B8

Image removed by sender. The Placemeter Sensor measure pedestrian, vehicle, and bicycle traffic in real-time

Image removed by sender. Get yours today!

Image removed by sender.Founded in 2012 and based in New York City, Placemeter is an urban intelligence platform. We quantify the movement of modern cities, at scale.

Copyright © 2015 Placemeter
All rights reserved.

425 Broadway, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10013

You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Image removed by sender.

Bruce...@dot.gov

Dec 3, 2015, 2:39:26 PM12/3/15
to Mathe...@gov.bc.ca, Jeffrey...@dot.wi.gov, nord...@pdx.edu, walk-bi...@googlegroups.com, Steven.J...@dot.gov, jerem...@dot.gov, djo...@dot.gov, pmc...@sprinkleconsulting.com, t...@sprinkleconsulting.com, sbr...@dvrpc.org, Lindsay...@icfi.com, Shawn-...@tamu.edu, Eliot...@icfi.com, skot...@pdx.edu

Thanks Matthew for the updated info.  That’s pretty nice that it might work with existing cameras.

Shawn Turner

Dec 3, 2015, 5:07:05 PM12/3/15
to Walk-Bike-Count

Ah yes, hope is sometimes all we have… J

We have sent some challenging IP-based surveillance camera video to Placemeter from Aggie football game day, and they have given us pedestrian counts that looked reasonable, but we have yet to evaluate the accuracy of any of their counts.

I would expect that one will get much different results if you optimize camera location for counting as opposed to areawide surveillance. I think we will probably ask them for one of their demo cameras.

I’m also curious to hear if anyone has evaluated accuracy of their robot-generated counts.

Shawn Turner, P.E.
Senior Research Engineer and Division Head

Mobility Division
Texas A&M Transportation Institute

s-tu...@tti.tamu.edu
3135 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843-3135
Tel 979.845.8829
http://tti.tamu.edu

TTI | Saving Lives, Time & Resources

Josh Roll

Dec 4, 2015, 4:58:57 PM12/4/15
to Walk-Bike-Count
Hi Shawn,
 We are experimenting with the Placemeter technology using a smartphone they let us borrow.  Looks like our setup is under counting by an average of 24%.  When asked why this is Placemeter said its likely due to the angle at which the camera is recording video, roughly 45 degrees, and that if the camera was top down it would be more accurate.  Occlusion is a common problem with all types of sensors, including tubes and infrared.

Best,
 Josh Roll
Central Lane MPO
Willamette and 8th Validation.xlsx

Dennis LeBlanc

Dec 14, 2015, 7:51:47 PM12/14/15
to Walk-Bike-Count, steven.j...@dot.gov, jerem...@dot.gov, djo...@dot.gov, pmc...@sprinkleconsulting.com, t...@sprinkleconsulting.com, sbr...@dvrpc.org, Lindsay...@icfi.com, Shawn-...@tamu.edu, Eliot...@icfi.com, skot...@pdx.edu
Hi Krista.

I am a vendor that works with data collection equipment for peds and bicycles. please go to www.roadsysllc.com and see what we can do for you. I also can be reached at 480-289-0081  Thank you! Dennis LeBlanc