Playing a FPS

Sheldon Derr

May 5, 2016, 8:56:17 PM5/5/16
to VoiceAttack
I have a disability and am able to use a mouse, but not a keyboard. I currently use Dragon naturally speaking for simple keystrokes, but it doesn't let me hold down certain keys or anything that voice attack seems to offer. Generally speaking, would this software allow me to play a first-person shooter?

Gary

May 6, 2016, 12:00:17 AM5/6/16
to VoiceAttack
Hi, Sheldon.

I get emails from time to time from folks doing just that.  I would encourage you to try out the trial (good for 21 days) and see if it's a good fit.  Also, if you have a particular game in mind,  you may want to search YouTube to see if they have a VoiceAttack demonstration for it.

Hope that helps!

Gary

Sheldon Derr

May 6, 2016, 12:14:53 AM5/6/16
to voice...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I tried the trial a while back but was never really able to test it very well. I would definitely try to play Overwatch if I were to get it. Thank you for your reply.

--

---

Luca D

May 6, 2016, 5:44:50 AM5/6/16
to VoiceAttack
I would say so, but of course it requires a bit of adjustment and thinkering with your VoiceAttack profiles... there's a crazy guy who completed Dark Souls entirely by voice command (so not even partial use of a mouse, everything done by voice, and that required keeping some keys held down, some macro and stuff like that), so my bet is that you would do fine.

Pfeil

May 6, 2016, 10:30:08 AM5/6/16
to VoiceAttack
I was intrigued by the basic question "can I hold down keys using VoiceAttack in the context of controlling a videogame", so I did some quick testing, and the answer is yes.

You can have one command(for example "forward") press the W key, and another(for example "stop") release the W key. You should also be able to strafe by holding down A or D, and you can have the "forward" command release them so you can resume walking straight ahead without having to stop(Releasing keys without having pressed them first seems to be handled gracefully).