CTRL-F Setting

Sam

Jun 6, 2017, 12:46:30 AM6/6/17
to vim_use
Hello

I just installed the latest release and when I tried to scroll forward with CTRL-F in gVim, not gVim Easy, a promptfind dialog box poped up. How do I change its behavior back to scroll forward?

Thanks

Gary Johnson

Jun 6, 2017, 1:11:23 AM6/6/17
to vim_use
Some startup script is sourcing $VIMRUNTIME/mswin.vim. You can
either search those scripts, such as ~/_vimrc, for "mswin.vim", or
you can execute ":scriptnames", search that list visually for
"mswin.vim", then look upward a line or two for the name of the
script that sourced mswin.vim.

You can then either delete the line that sources mswin.vim to get
rid of all of its settings, or if you just want to get rid of the
CTRL-F mapping, you can add this line,

unmap <C-F>

somewhere in your ~/_vimrc _after_ the line that sources mswin.vim.

Regards,
Gary

Sam

Jun 6, 2017, 11:42:53 AM6/6/17
to vim_use, gary...@spocom.com
Thanks Gary

I looked in _vimrc and it was the second line, followed by "behave mswin". I just put "unmap <C-F>" under that line and I my scrolling returned.

Curious though that the Vim installation on my old hard drive has the same _vimrc file and I don't remember having this problem.

Sam

Gary Johnson

Jun 6, 2017, 3:49:33 PM6/6/17
to vim_use
You're welcome.

I just checked the revision history on mswin.vim and found that it
was modified with patch 8.0.0321 on February 9, 2017, to add
mappings for CTRL-F to the search dialog and CTRL-H to the replace
dialog.

Regards,
Gary

Christian Brabandt

Jun 6, 2017, 3:57:41 PM6/6/17
to vim_use
Yes and this was done for being compatible with standard Windows
shortcuts (as requested either here or at the vim/vim issue tracker).

Best,
Christian
--
Was die neuen Unwissenden holen müssen:
Gewichte für die Wasserwaage

Sam

Jun 6, 2017, 7:53:46 PM6/6/17
to vim_use
Hi

That explains it. I understand it's a balance between keeping the efficiency of vi and having it Windows friendly, and I guess that's what gVim Easy addresses. But just to give my opinion, having a Windows dialog box pop up when I attempted to scroll in gVim was jolting.

Thanks again,
Sam

SteveW

Jan 25, 2019, 4:49:01 PM1/25/19
to vim_use
I realize this topic is kind of old but I think it is important.

Remapping basic vim functionality (such as Ctrl-F) should NEVER be done by default. At a minimum, mswin.vim should not be setup to be sourced by default (with notes on how to add it if you want the Windows functionality).

Vim is vim - basic functions should not be changed just because you are on Windows.

Sami Saab

Jan 25, 2019, 5:25:14 PM1/25/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Completely agree!

---

mzj549544

Jan 25, 2019, 6:31:11 PM1/25/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com, mzj5...@gmail.com

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

---

Bram Moolenaar

Jan 26, 2019, 8:11:50 AM1/26/19
to vim...@googlegroups.com, SteveW
There are two camps:

1. "This is Windows, so things should work like everything does on
Windows".

2. "This is Vim, so things should work the same on all platforms".

Can't possibly do both, thus the user has to make a choice.

--
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

Ken Takata

Jan 27, 2019, 9:26:33 PM1/27/19
to vim_use
Hi,

This discussion is outdated. Have you tried the new installer after 8.0.1232?
Now the installer has a choice whether you want to source mswin.vim or not.
(And it doesn't source mswin.vim by default now.)

Regards,
Ken Takata