ANN: YankRing 17.0

David Fishburn

Apr 28, 2013, 7:20:39 PM4/28/13
to vim_use
YankRing.vim : Maintains a history of previous yanks, changes and deletes

What does it do?

Inspired by the Emacs kill ring.

Allows you to retrieve previous yanks, deletes and changed text and
cycle through them choosing which item you need.  It also works across
Vim instances so they all see the same history.  Useful for sharing
text across instances, including when using Screen in *nix.

For a more descriptive write up, please see the web page.

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.
If you do try the plugin and find things that bother you, please send
me an email.

What is new?

NF: The yankring_history_dir option can now take a comma separated list.  First valid directory found will be used (Alex Bel).

NF: YankRing can now monitor inserted text and place it in the ring. This is disabled by default, but can be enabled either through the YankRing window or via your .vimrc using the new option:
    g:yankring_record_insert = 1 (Alexandre Viau).

BF: When g:yankring_persist = 0, the YankRing was still reading and writing to the yankring file (Vladimir Marek).

BF: The YankRing menu entry, "Replace with Next", was performing the "Replace with Previous" action (Thilo Six).

As usual, feedback good and bad is always welcome.

Enjoy.
David

AK

Apr 28, 2013, 7:29:05 PM4/28/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi David, one issue I've run into with yankring is
that if I make a recording using q command, it works
fine as I record it, but once I try to play it back,
it gets stuck on a command like dt" and yankring asks
for a character.

I use Vim 7.3.

Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks, -ak
> --
> --
>
> ---

David Fishburn

Apr 28, 2013, 7:47:28 PM4/28/13
to vim_use
What version of the YankRing are you using?
:echo g:loaded_yankring

Also, what version of Vim are you using, I am most concerned with the patch numbers.
:ver

Can you give me a line of text, and the macro you recorded.
I don't see the problem when I record a macro with dt" with version 17.0.

I am using 7.3.758.

Thanks,
David

AK

Apr 28, 2013, 8:02:59 PM4/28/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 04/28/2013 07:47 PM, David Fishburn wrote:
> What version of the YankRing are you using?
> :echo g:loaded_yankring

I was using 13 but now I tried with 17 and I get the same
issue.

> Also, what version of Vim are you using, I am most concerned with the
> patch numbers.
> :ver

'10 aug 15; :ver does not show me patch number.

> Can you give me a line of text, and the macro you recorded.
> I don't see the problem when I record a macro with dt" with version 17.0.

e.g. line:

join(SITE_ROOT, "templates/forum"),

record commands: wdt"^P
when executing, I get "Yankring: enter character:"

-ak

> I am using 7.3.758.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>

> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM, AK <andre...@gmail.com
> <mailto:andre...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi David, one issue I've run into with yankring is
> that if I make a recording using q command, it works
> fine as I record it, but once I try to play it back,
> it gets stuck on a command like dt" and yankring asks
> for a character.
>
> I use Vim 7.3.
>
> Is there a workaround for this?
>
> Thanks, -ak
>

> On 04/28/2013 07:20 PM, David Fishburn wrote:
>
> YankRing.vim : Maintains a history of previous yanks, changes
> and deletes
> http://www.vim.org/scripts/__script.php?script_id=1234
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.__php
> <http://www.vim.org/maillist.php>
>
> ---
> Groups "vim_use" group.
> it, send
> an email to vim_use+unsubscribe@__googlegroups.com
> <mailto:vim_use%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/__groups/opt_out
> <https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
>

> --
> --
> For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.__php
> <http://www.vim.org/maillist.php>

> --
> --
>
> ---

BPJ

Apr 30, 2013, 10:11:43 AM4/30/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
2013-04-29 01:20, David Fishburn skrev:
> YankRing.vim : Maintains a history of previous yanks, changes and deletes

Am I the only one getting an error?

Vim Online Error

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

/bpj

Paul

Apr 30, 2013, 10:22:32 AM4/30/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, 29 April, 2013 at 00:29:05 BST, AK wrote:
>Hi David, one issue I've run into with yankring is
>that if I make a recording using q command, it works
>fine as I record it, but once I try to play it back,
>it gets stuck on a command like dt" and yankring asks
>for a character.
>
>I use Vim 7.3.
>
>Is there a workaround for this?

Sounds like the same thing I was seeing only on a Debian system. (I've still not had time to debug it.)

David Fishburn

Apr 30, 2013, 10:23:42 AM4/30/13
to vim_use
No, everyone is getting that error, the Vim MySQL database is down, so no one can download scripts at the moment.

David

David Fishburn

Apr 30, 2013, 10:26:06 AM4/30/13
to vim_use
I will try to reproduce it with an unpatched version of Vim 7.3, rather than the 7.3.758 I am currently running.
Of course I will have to reinstall somewhere to get that .exe (should have copied it first ...), but I will report back after my tests.

David

snowman55

Aug 29, 2013, 12:36:53 PM8/29/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Any update? I have the same problem and have to remove the plugin when I need recording.

David Fishburn

Aug 29, 2013, 3:59:18 PM8/29/13
to vim_use
On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 12:36 PM, snowman55 <yfn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Any update? I have the same problem and have to remove the plugin when I need recording.

Can you give me some text which you run the macro on, and then show me what the macro you record is.

Then please provide the output from

:set

and

:ver

Can you also try with Vim using the following command line:
vim -u NONE -U NONE -N --noplugins

After Vim launches:
:source $HOME/.vim/plugin/yankring.vim

Or where ever the plugin was installed and see if you get the same behaviour.

You can respond to me directly while we investigate to keep the traffic down on vim_use if you would like.

Thanks,
David

Francis Ngoh

Aug 29, 2013, 10:33:19 PM8/29/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Im away from my computer but I found a workaround ... ie dont use numbered registers for the macro.

On Aug 29, 2013 1:38 PM, "snowman55" <yfn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Any update? I have the same problem and have to remove the plugin when I need recording.

---

Chris Lott

Aug 30, 2013, 1:33:36 PM8/30/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Francis Ngoh <yfn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Im away from my computer but I found a workaround ... ie dont use numbered
> registers for the macro.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this solves the
problem. dt" isn't using a numbered register, it's deleting to the
character "

Chris Lott <ch...@chrislott.org>

Nikolay Pavlov

Aug 30, 2013, 3:50:24 PM8/30/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 30, 2013 9:34 PM, "Chris Lott" <ch...@chrislott.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Francis Ngoh <yfn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Im away from my computer but I found a workaround ... ie dont use numbered
> > registers for the macro.
>

> Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this solves the
> problem. dt" isn't using a numbered register, it's deleting to the
> character "

Numbered registers are populated from deletes unless another register was specified. The help states though that one-line deletes should not affect numbered registers (with some exceptions, but "t" is not the one).

> --
> Chris Lott <ch...@chrislott.org>
>

> --
> --
>
> ---

Chris Lott

Aug 30, 2013, 4:07:45 PM8/30/13
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Nikolay Pavlov <zyx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Numbered registers are populated from deletes unless another register was
> specified. The help states though that one-line deletes should not affect
> numbered registers (with some exceptions, but "t" is not the one).

That seems irrelevant to the case I am having a problem with:

| this is a line with a "quote"

Where | is the cursor

dt" triggers the problem. I don't see how the register matters. From the help:

t{char} Till before [count]'th occurrence of {char} to the
right. The cursor is placed on the character left of
{char} |inclusive|.
{char} can be entered like with the |f| command.

I'm not a vim expert.