Set cusror position from inside function

Tihomir Mitkov

Jan 15, 2017, 7:15:55 AM1/15/17
to vim_use
Since vim doesn't support having some lines editable and others not, I figured it out that I can simulate this by keeping meta data about lines and remapping all keys to a function which checks cursor position and decides whether to put the character in question or not. So far so good, now I need to prohibit the cursor from going to certain locations. I remapped h,j,k,l keys like this:

map <expr> h Key_h()
map <expr> j Key_j()
map <expr> k Key_k()
map <expr> l Key_l()

That also works like a charm. Somewhere in the those functions I call setpos() like this:

call setpos(".", [0, a:line, a:column, 0])

Unfortunately the only thing this does is to send cursor the first column at the line it is currently in. Further movement with h,j,k,l does nothing. From inside the mapped functions Key_h(), Key_j() I return nothing, since cursor movement is already performed.

Alessandro Antonello

Jan 16, 2017, 11:12:20 AM1/16/17
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Tihomir.

Looking at your message I can't see from were the 'a:line' and 'a:column'
variables did come from. The way you are calling the set of "Key_*()"
functions, you are not passing any information through parameters. So I'm
assuming you are discovering these values inside the function. Which is a
little bit strange since local variables are prefixed with "l:". "a:" prefix
is used for function arguments.

Could you send a message with the code that doesn't work? I think it would be
more easy to find an issue if we could see the function. Or a bigger snippet.

---

Tihomir Mitkov

Jan 16, 2017, 12:56:58 PM1/16/17
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Alessandro,

Here is Key_k() function (the other functions are analogous, only l:lineToGo and l:columnToGo are set to different values):

function Key_k()
    let l:lineToGo = line(".") - 1
    let l:columnToGo = col(".")
    let b:noteUnderCursor = GetNoteOnLine(l:lineToGo)
    call Key_Movement(l:lineToGo, l:columnToGo)
endfunction

And this is Key_Movement():

function Key_Movement(line, column)
    if !empty(b:noteUnderCursor)
        if !(b:noteUnderCursor["line"] == a:line)
            let l:indentLen = strlen(b:noteUnderCursor["indent"])
            " accounting for "| " portion just after whispace indent
            let l:indentLen = l:indentLen + 3
            if a:column <= l:indentLen
                call setpos(".", [0, a:line, l:indentLen, 0])
                return
            endif
        endif
    endif
    call setpos(".", [0, a:line, a:column, 0])
endfunction

However, I managed to get it work by mapping the keys without <expr> option, like this:

noremap <silent> k :call Key_k()<CR>

Alessandro Antonello

Jan 17, 2017, 5:50:51 PM1/17/17
to vim...@googlegroups.com