NERDTree opens half of screen instead of NERDTreeWinSize

Oliver Graute

Mar 24, 2018, 2:50:20 PM3/24/18
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

my NERDTree seems to ignore my NERDTreeWinSize setting and opens instead
at half of the screen. Some ideas how to fix this?

:let NERDTreeWinSize
NERDTreeWinSize #20

Someone already reported the same issue here:

https://github.com/scrooloose/nerdtree/issues/259

here I use:

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4 (2013 Aug 10, compiled Nov 24 2016 16:42:42)
Inklusive der Korrekturen: 1-52
Extra-Patches: 8.0.0056

My work windows pc show same behavior and is on 8.0.0

Best Regards,

Oliver

Oliver Graute

Mar 27, 2018, 1:51:12 PM3/27/18
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 24/03/18, Oliver Graute wrote:
> my NERDTree seems to ignore my NERDTreeWinSize setting and opens instead
> at half of the screen. Some ideas how to fix this?
>
> https://github.com/scrooloose/nerdtree/issues/259

I observe the problem with latest NERDTree git commit a172d7cf and latest
vim git commit 2a77d21f7.

Howto start vim with all plugins disabled except NERDTree?

Best Regards,

Oliver

Christian Brabandt

Mar 28, 2018, 1:42:32 AM3/28/18
to vim...@googlegroups.com

On Di, 27 Mär 2018, Oliver Graute wrote:

> On 24/03/18, Oliver Graute wrote:
> > my NERDTree seems to ignore my NERDTreeWinSize setting and opens instead
> > at half of the screen. Some ideas how to fix this?
> >
> > https://github.com/scrooloose/nerdtree/issues/259
>
> I observe the problem with latest NERDTree git commit a172d7cf and latest
> vim git commit 2a77d21f7.

If the plugin author does not fix it, I fear there is nothing we can do
here. Besides probably not everybody here uses Nerdtree.

> Howto start vim with all plugins disabled except NERDTree?

Setting the rtp to that specific plugin and run vim with --clean

Or move your .vim out of the way and start with a fresh ~/.vim

Best,
Christian
--
Der Gedanke, daß jedes Mißgeschick
außerordentlich häufig vorkommt, nimmt ihm die Bedenklichkeit.

Jason Franklin

Mar 28, 2018, 8:28:17 AM3/28/18
to vim_use

NERDTree maintainer here (@lifecrisis on Github).

This probably hasn't been fixed because no one has given us specific steps to replicate the bug. Is there a specific sequence of steps that will always lead to this problem? I can't fix it if I can't observe the issue. I've also never seen this happen while using the NERDTree.

Can you give explicit instructions on how to replicate this behavior?

Thanks!
Jason

Oliver Graute

Mar 28, 2018, 2:30:19 PM3/28/18
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 28/03/18, Jason Franklin wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 1:51:12 PM UTC-4, Oliver Graute wrote:
> > On 24/03/18, Oliver Graute wrote:
> > > my NERDTree seems to ignore my NERDTreeWinSize setting and opens instead
> > > at half of the screen. Some ideas how to fix this?
>
> NERDTree maintainer here (@lifecrisis on Github).
> This probably hasn't been fixed because no one has given us specific steps to replicate the bug. Is there a specific sequence of steps that will always lead to this problem? I can't fix it if I can't observe the issue. I've also never seen this happen while using the NERDTree.
>
> Can you give explicit instructions on how to replicate this behavior?

These lines in my vimrc are the cause for this behavior of NERDTree:

:au WinEnter * :set winfixheight
:au WinEnter * :wincmd =

after removing them NERDTree opens at NERDTreeWinSize

is this some resizing of vertical splits?

Best Regards,

Oliver

Jason Franklin

Mar 28, 2018, 3:00:27 PM3/28/18
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Oliver,

When you run ":wincmd =" you tell Vim to equalize window sizes to the best of its ability.

This is definitely the cause of your problem.  I would rethink both of those autocommands.
They would likely break a number of different plugins.

Best,
Jason

Jason R. Franklin
Associate Systems Software Developer