field guide for beginner?

Joanna Grossman

Jun 22, 2016, 2:00:29 PM6/22/16
to Vermont Entomological Society (VES)
Hi all -

I know many of you professionally... so you know that I'm not an expert. However, I have a very clever 6-year-old who is very interested in insects and arachnids (and birds) and I'm finding myself a little deficient at helping her ID these creatures. She's started her own journal of what she finds and I'd like to support her project which she calls "Camp Bug". Do you all have a favorite field guide for using with kids? She's a very strong reader so that won't be a problem.

Thanks so much!
Cheers,
Joanna

Kent McFarland

Jun 23, 2016, 12:06:53 PM6/23/16
to vermont-entomo...@googlegroups.com
How about Kaufman's Field Guide to the INsects of North America?
I think that one might be okay for her. The old Golden Guides are awesome.
I have a whole collection of them. They are old, but really good. I had them as a kid and nearly wore them out.
Kent

____________________________

Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies
PO Box 420 | Norwich, Vermont 05055
802.649.1431 x2

--

---

Joanna Grossman

Jun 23, 2016, 1:35:43 PM6/23/16
to vermont-entomo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Kent!

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Vermont Entomological Society (VES)" group.

Micahel Sabourin

Jun 23, 2016, 7:58:43 PM6/23/16
to vermont-entomo...@googlegroups.com
another suggestion would be to use what ever relevant field guides you can find - such as Peterson's moths, butterflies, etc. and you can just go though together trying to match

Larry Clarfeld

Jun 24, 2016, 9:50:13 AM6/24/16
to vermont-entomo...@googlegroups.com
I'd suggest also incorporating digital photography into you identification process. It can be easier to see fine detail from an enlarged photo than a tiny, squirmy bug, and the process of taking photos is pretty fun for kids. This also opens up a host of online ID resources such as bugguide.net and iNaturalist.org

 - Larry