Using regular Vagrant after working on a plugin...

Trevor Roberts

Dec 28, 2013, 6:35:39 PM12/28/13
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone,

I tried hacking around with the vagrant-rackspace plugin.  When I was ready to resume running Vagrant regularly, I kept getting path errors like the following:

/Users/vmtrooper/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p484/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/dependency.rb:298:in `to_specs': Could not find 'vagrant' (>= 0) among 46 total gem(s) (Gem::LoadError)
from /Users/vmtrooper/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p484/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/dependency.rb:309:in `to_spec'
from /Users/vmtrooper/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p484/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_gem.rb:47:in `gem'
from /Users/vmtrooper/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p484/bin/vagrant:22:in `<main>'
from /Users/vmtrooper/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p484/bin/ruby_executable_hooks:15:in `eval'
from /Users/vmtrooper/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p484/bin/ruby_executable_hooks:15:in `<main>'

I resolved the issue by renaming the vagrant binary at /Users/vmtrooper/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p484/bin.  However, I'd like to know what is the proper way to resume using regular Vagrant after working on a plugin?

I'm a Linux novice.  So, I'm sure there is an obvious answer that I'm just not getting.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Trevor

Samuel Brown

Jan 2, 2014, 2:55:34 PM1/2/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
I would like to see the answer to this as well, just ran into this issue today and I was a little confused.

Big thanks to Trevor for posting his fix so that I could move on!

-Sam

Ringo De Smet

Jan 15, 2014, 11:20:54 AM1/15/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Did you use an RVM gemset specifically for your plugin hacking? Using another Ruby and/or gemset would solve your problem.

Ringo

Trevor Roberts

Jan 15, 2014, 11:27:36 AM1/15/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
Hello Ringo,

I used RVM to change to an updated Ruby (1.9.3, i believe).  I recently updated to Mavericks, which includes Ruby 2.x.  I will see if the behavior still persists.

Just to be clear, the standard workflow is to use RVM to switch to a specific Ruby version for working with plugins.  Then, when your done, switch back to your "production" Ruby for normal operations?

Thanks,
Trevor

Ringo De Smet

Jan 15, 2014, 11:35:51 AM1/15/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, 15 January 2014 17:27:36 UTC+1, Trevor Roberts wrote:
Hello Ringo,

I used RVM to change to an updated Ruby (1.9.3, i believe).  I recently updated to Mavericks, which includes Ruby 2.x.  I will see if the behavior still persists.

Just to be clear, the standard workflow is to use RVM to switch to a specific Ruby version for working with plugins.  Then, when your done, switch back to your "production" Ruby for normal operations?

For every Ruby development project (e.g a Vagrant plugin), I use a specific Ruby *with* a specific gemset. I suggest you read up about gemset basics:

Ringo

Bill WANG

Dec 12, 2014, 8:42:11 PM12/12/14
to vagra...@googlegroups.com
I got exact same error, but the way to rename bin folder didn't fix my issue.

Waste a lot of time on it , and finally fixed it by myself. Don't know why it fixed by this way, put here for a workaround.

gem install vagrant
gem uninstall vagrant

Regards,
Bill