Cannot find time zone named MST7MDT

Santiago Cardoso Geller

Dec 9, 2014, 9:35:57 AM12/9/14
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com

Hi!

I generated for testing an XD image for AIX with a simple application that shows a text at the console. That's all. But when execute I get a walkback with the error:

Walkback at 07:01:46 on 12/09/14
Cannot find time zone named  MST7MDT
AbtHeadlessRuntimeStartUp class(EsImageStartUp class)>>#outputWalkback:process:
  receiver = AbtHeadlessRuntimeStartUp
  arg1 = [] in EsImageStartUp class>>#outputWalkback:on:process:
  arg2 = [] in EsImageStartUp class>>#outputWalkback:on:process:
[] in AbtHeadlessRuntimeStartUp class>>#outputWalkback:process:
  receiver = AbtHeadlessRuntimeStartUp
  arg1 = 'Cannot find time zone named  MST7MDT'
  arg2 = Process:2{running,3}
  temp1 = nil
  temp2 = nil

Exit with error code 60

Should I include something else to the packager? I think the error is when VA is trying to write the walkback.

The same code reduced in VAST 6.0.3 does not report any error.

Thanks,
Santiago

Louis LaBrunda

Dec 9, 2014, 2:10:10 PM12/9/14
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Santiago,
Yes.  You need to include the time zoneinfo included in the va860_sw.zip (or whatever version of VA Smalltalk you have).

The same code reduced in VAST 6.0.3 does not report any error.

Thanks,
Santiago

Lou

Donald MacQueen

Dec 9, 2014, 6:50:56 PM12/9/14
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Santiago,

What version of VA Smalltalk are you using?

Donald

Santiago Cardoso Geller

Dec 9, 2014, 8:02:51 PM12/9/14
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Louis, I have the zoneinfo directory in the server. I will look for a reference in an ini file or something like that.

Donald, I am using 8.6.1 version in AIX.

thanks,
Santiago

Santiago Cardoso Geller

Dec 9, 2014, 8:19:05 PM12/9/14
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
and this is my /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo directory contents...
It does not contain MST7MDT entry.
zoneinfo.tar.gz

Donald MacQueen

Dec 10, 2014, 10:20:06 AM12/10/14
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Santiago,

Where do you live?  I live near Washington, DC so I am in what is known as Eastern Standard Time. Are you in Mountain Standard Time, i.e., Denver?

Donald

Louis LaBrunda

Dec 10, 2014, 10:37:41 AM12/10/14
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Santiago,

Somehow you must have lost it.  I find it in both the Windows and Linux server zoneinfo files for 8.6.1 and 8.6.0.

Lou

Santiago Cardoso Geller

Dec 10, 2014, 10:40:49 AM12/10/14
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Donald, the server is located in MST. The configuration is right. The echo $TZ answers MST7MDT. I changed the abtnx.ini to overwrite zoneinfoPath setting with VASmalltalk zoneinfo directory, but it doesn't work. I'm analyzing why.

Thanks,
Santiago

Donald MacQueen

Dec 10, 2014, 12:44:42 PM12/10/14
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Santiago,

I believe Lou is right. The standard install of zoneinfo -does- include MST7MDT.  I suggest you change your time zone to 'America/Denver'.  It has Daylight Savings transitions;  MST7MDT does not.

Donald [|]

Santiago Cardoso Geller

Dec 10, 2014, 2:13:54 PM12/10/14
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Louis and Donald. I found the problem.

I'm not the server administrator so I'm not able to change the time zone or add the file that I need into /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo directory. So I wanted to set the zoneinfoPath setting to $VASTROOT_86/zoneinfo directory.

I noticed that the application was still looking for MST7MDT into /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo directory, even after change the abtnx.ini.

We discovered the following:

EsTimeZoneDatabase class>>#setTzInfoDir from EsTimeZoneAppUnix application is overwriting the value of the setting. We made this change to the original implementation to keep ini defined value:

Original:

dir := (System osType = 'Linux'
        ifTrue: ['/usr/share/zoneinfo/']
        ifFalse: ['/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/']).

Modified:

    dir := self tzInfoDir isNil
        ifTrue: [
            (System osType = 'Linux'
                ifTrue: ['/usr/share/zoneinfo/']
                ifFalse: ['/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/'])]
        ifFalse: [self tzInfoDir].

Regards,
Santiago
setTzInfoDir.st

Donald MacQueen

Dec 10, 2014, 2:25:40 PM12/10/14
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Santiago,

What version of AIX are you running? All the AIX machines I have seen have their zoneinfo datat in /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/ which is why it is hard-coded.

Donald

Santiago Cardoso Geller

Dec 10, 2014, 2:34:11 PM12/10/14
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Donald,
the OS level is 7.1.0, and you are right, the zoneinfo is in /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/. But here we haven't got the MST7MDT file there (and I don't know why). We opened a ticket to the AIX administration group to fix that, but in the meanwhile we noticed that the setting from abtnx.ini was not working.

Donald MacQueen

Dec 10, 2014, 8:46:05 PM12/10/14
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Santiago,

Your fix is correct. We should allow the override of the zoneinfo location. I have created case 56956 to address this issue.

Donald

PS All your sysadmin has to do is to copy the missing file from the $VASTROOT_86/zoneinfo directory. The files are binary and platform independent.

Santiago Cardoso Geller

Dec 10, 2014, 9:08:11 PM12/10/14
to va-sma...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Donald for your attention.