building v8 fails on bytecode-peephole-table.cc because libv8_libbase.dylib not found

Zac Hansen

Oct 17, 2016, 11:02:34 PM10/17/16
to v8-users
I've been successfully building v8 for quite a while and recently pulled a new version and am getting the following error on os x el capitan:

make library=shared snapshot=off x64.debug -j2

  ACTION src_v8_gyp_v8_base_target_run_mkpeephole /Users/xaxxon/v8/out/x64.debug/obj.target/v8_base/geni/bytecode-peephole-table.cc

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libv8_libbase.dylib

  Referenced from: /Users/xaxxon/v8/out/x64.debug/mkpeephole

  Reason: image not found

/bin/sh: line 1: 18072 Trace/BPT trap: 5       "/Users/xaxxon/v8/out/x64.debug/mkpeephole" "/Users/xaxxon/v8/out/x64.debug/obj.target/v8_base/geni/bytecode-peephole-table.cc"

make[1]: *** [/Users/xaxxon/v8/out/x64.debug/obj.target/v8_base/geni/bytecode-peephole-table.cc] Error 133

make: *** [x64.debug] Error 2

I try setting my DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to the recently build dylib but that doesn't seem to help and it still complains about it not being in /usr/local/lib...

Any suggestions?

Zac Hansen

Oct 17, 2016, 11:32:15 PM10/17/16
to v8-users
manually copying the file into /usr/local/lib works.   Someone said it might have to do with the "install_name" being /usr/local/lib, but I don't really understand what this means.

Also, it seems broken that copying a file into /usr/local is required for part of the build.

--Zac

Jochen Eisinger

Oct 18, 2016, 3:32:25 AM10/18/16
to v8-users
I'm surprised that the component build with gyp on mac ever worked for you, it never did for me :-/

Zac Hansen

Oct 18, 2016, 3:33:41 AM10/18/16
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
"component build" = dylib?

It's always worked fine - but this error is new.

Linking against the static version takes forever, so dylibs are the only way to go.

Jochen Eisinger

Oct 18, 2016, 3:50:14 PM10/18/16
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
I tried to fix this here but concluded it's "not supported": https://codereview.chromium.org/22382003/

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "v8-users" group.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "v8-users" group.

Zac Hansen

Oct 18, 2016, 5:04:18 PM10/18/16
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
How do I find out what the current supported build process is for a platform?   I've been told "if gn doesn't work, use gyp, because it's supported until gn works on a platform".. but when neither works, I don't know which to ask about how to use.

Thank you for all your help.

--Zac

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "v8-users" group.

Jochen Eisinger

Oct 19, 2016, 2:37:02 AM10/19/16
to v8-u...@googlegroups.com
If you build for x87, mips (big endian), ppc, or s390, use gyp, the rest is on gn.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "v8-users" group.