Translations

Gregor

Jan 2, 2014, 12:40:41 PM1/2/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
I could help translating the twister to german, if there should be more languages than english only.
I helped translating many OSS projects, contact me if I can help.

Miguel Freitas

Jan 2, 2014, 1:23:40 PM1/2/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gregor,

That would be great! the only problem is that i don't know how is the standard method for localizing webapps (if any).

For normal desktop apps we could use gettext and all translatable strings are automatically collected for easing the localization. The runtime also takes care of using the right strings depending or your locale.

The current HTML twister UI has no such thing. I don't know gettext equivalent for html/js.

regards,

Miguel

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Gregor <grs...@gmail.com> wrote:
I could help translating the twister to german, if there should be more languages than english only.
I helped translating many OSS projects, contact me if I can help.

Gregor

Jan 2, 2014, 1:35:45 PM1/2/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
I don't know, maybe by getting localized Text from xml,db or somewhat by JS?

getLocalizedString(int strid, int langid)
->en.xml = langid 1
->de.xml = langid 2

-->en.xml[id] in case of id = 1 -> "Hello"
-->de.xml[id] in case of id = 1 -> "Hallo"

getLocalizedString(2, 1) --> returns "Hallo"

A little Pseudo, but I think you know what I mean

Miguel Freitas

Jan 2, 2014, 1:43:47 PM1/2/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Gregor,

Yes, i understand. I know it is doable like you said.
It is just that i don't want to neither reinvent the wheel nor transform the code into a mess...

regards,

Miguel

Gregor

Jan 2, 2014, 1:44:38 PM1/2/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com

Wynn Joinder

Jan 5, 2014, 1:47:14 PM1/5/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com

There's also Polyglot.js which is open-sourced by AirBnB:  https://github.com/airbnb/polyglot.js

It has some more advanced options for plurals and default values.

-- Wynn

郑晓东

Jan 11, 2014, 9:44:27 PM1/11/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
I would like to help with chinese translate work since the twister is rather a big hope for people in china where people need tool like twister for comunicate free.

Bastiaan Steinmeier

Jan 14, 2014, 2:49:11 AM1/14/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Check this plugin: http://belelros.github.io/jqueryTranslator/
"jQueryTranslator is a jQuery plugin which allows developers to translate a static web site easily"

I can help with the Dutch translation :)

Piet de Vries

Jan 14, 2014, 7:25:30 AM1/14/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Since I'm also Dutch, I'm also willing to help with the Dutch translation.

Shift rus

Jan 14, 2014, 8:34:40 AM1/14/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
and i can help with russian language, i think that we must choose javascript translation engine

郑晓东

Jan 14, 2014, 9:19:44 AM1/14/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
I mean translate android apk UI into chinese

Wynn Joinder

Jan 14, 2014, 9:34:44 AM1/14/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
I've submitted a pull request to twister-html which would add translations on the web version through Polyglot.js

Languages would be added as JSON to this interface_localization.js file: https://github.com/msjoinder/twister-html/blob/00e5091130eded21fbcf97cf4dc8f342bd1b0487/interface_localization.js

-- Wynn

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 8:19 AM, 郑晓东 <0xli...@gmail.com> wrote:
I mean translate android apk UI into chinese

郑晓东

Jan 14, 2014, 11:32:14 AM1/14/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
can I just give you a translated wordset here? since I'm not the man who can code it.

Bastiaan Steinmeier

Jan 14, 2014, 12:25:52 PM1/14/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Check my pull request with the start for a Dutch translation: https://github.com/msjoinder/twister-html/pull/1

Miguel Freitas

Jan 14, 2014, 1:40:54 PM1/14/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
People,

I appreciate your translation efforts and i thank you very much. But i'm currently backlogged with other things to fix, both in core and html. You may have noticed there are still things that don't work in some pages (eg. clicking in "@" while in network page doesn't work). This is because the current HTML design/architecture requires me to duplicate a lot of things between pages - this is definitely not a good things in terms of maintainability and it is very error prone.

Whatever translation we do at this point would probably require translating the same message several times, in different HTMLs. I have not even had a chance to see msjoinder's patch yet (sorry). But i have a feeling we may need to improve the architecture in general before applying this.

regards,

Miguel

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Bastiaan Steinmeier <basti...@gmail.com> wrote:
Check my pull request with the start for a Dutch translation: https://github.com/msjoinder/twister-html/pull/1

Gregor

Jan 14, 2014, 2:06:42 PM1/14/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Putting everything in one .js file will result in a really biiiiiig file.
Creating
de.xml
en.xml
ru.xml
xy.xml

I think would be the better way.
As I said, I want to help at translating to german [de].

Wynn Joinder

Jan 14, 2014, 10:47:43 PM1/14/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Miguel:

I agree that it would be good to have the templates shared somehow between /home.html, and /network.html, and other pages.

Fortunately, the translations in my pull request do not change the HTML - they are in JS / jQuery.  When text is in the HTML on multiple pages, like in the top bar and in the templates, there is one jQuery selector that will work on each page and find those elements.  If you switch to use Ajax to load templates, we can add a function to do the same translations before it is added to the page.

Please examine the pull request and you should see that it is separate from the rest of the interface, when possible. I think adding it at this phase of the project will help it grow, and prevent us from having a larger task later down the road.

Kindest regards,
Wynn

Miguel Freitas

Jan 15, 2014, 11:31:29 AM1/15/14
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I will check your patch!

Give me a few days ;-)

regards,

Miguel

Juan Alberto González

Sep 26, 2015, 6:08:36 PM9/26/15
to twister-users
Hi all!
what happened to this affair?
As helper in other translations I would recommend to use https://www.transifex.com/ with .po files for languages so new added strings can easily be followed by translators (just de tool to make the xml, or .po files)

I'm interested in helping out to translate and correct translations to spanish.

As a free network made of networkers... may I start a project in transiflex?
I'd prefer freitas to do this but I suppose as he said, there are many things to do on twister :)

Greetings to all the team and the network!

Miguel Freitas

Sep 27, 2015, 6:57:47 PM9/27/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Hi Juan!

This has long been merged! You may contribute translations by directly editing this file:

Then contributions may be sent by using the github's pull request mechanism.

regards,

Miguel

Juan Alberto GONZÁLEZ RODRÍGUEZ

Sep 28, 2015, 4:32:39 AM9/28/15
to twiste...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miguel!! nice to talk to you. Great job!

After I posted, i was looking into twister-html and I saw it.

I was just looking how to adapt interface_localization.js to a .pot file cause new strings in english are done, but not in other languages (because there is no overview of the amount of strings / new strings? )

Do you have anything against if I just work around on how to make  a .pot file from the english strings in interface_localization.js so we can check transifex and enhance the translation?

Regards,
Juan Alberto

Juan Alberto González Rodríguez