Trelby for Mac

Muhammad Faruk

Jan 4, 2012, 7:43:10 PM1/4/12
to Trelby
Is there a version for Mac coming out?

Anil Gulecha

Jan 4, 2012, 8:38:31 PM1/4/12
to tre...@googlegroups.com
Hi Muhammad,

This is a popular feature enhancement. This will come out when a Mac
developer helps port to the platform.

http://www.trelby.org/faq#Mac

~Anil

Max F

Jan 8, 2012, 5:27:48 PM1/8/12
to Trelby
So I was supposed to be writing a screenplay yesterday, but instead I
made Trelby run on the Mac. Oops.

It's by no means a nice, double-clickable .app file, but I did get it
to work smoothly (except for FDX files), so that's a start. I just
added an "isMac" condition where wx needed to be different for the Mac
or was buggy. But in the end, OS X basically isUnix, so most of the
code ran anyway. Want a screenshot?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15521212/trelby-mac.png

I also isMac'ed the parts using lxml, since you can't run that without
the OS X developer tools installed. But .trelby files work perfectly.
I used the 2.0 code for Linux to start with, just to be safe. If
you're on a Mac, you also need to download wxPython and run Python as
32-bit. Here's the file with my changes:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15521212/trelby-osx.zip

Oh, and thanks for writing this awesome program! I can't wait to see
where it's going!

Max

Osku Salerma

Jan 8, 2012, 5:48:32 PM1/8/12
to tre...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! How fast is it? Scrolling around etc, is it completely smooth like on windows/linux (if you've tried those versions), or is there some lag?

If possible, we would like to receive code contributions in form of patches to apply, as the developer wiki documents. It really is easy to provide them once you get used to git. It may be a small effort to start but it's going to be much easier for both you to do development work and pull in new updates, and for us to integrate your changes.
--
Osku Salerma

Max F

Jan 8, 2012, 6:15:01 PM1/8/12
to Trelby
I tried it on Ubuntu and the scrolling seems to work just the same.
The only place I noticed a difference is the width of the document is
a bit smaller on the Mac (you can tell in the screenshot as well). But
it's not laggy for me at all.

Sure. The problem is, I don't really know how to use git, hence the
dropbox files. But I'll learn, since I'd really like to help
contribute.

Osku Salerma

Jan 8, 2012, 6:19:31 PM1/8/12
to tre...@googlegroups.com
Great. The "submitting changes" section in https://github.com/oskusalerma/trelby/wiki/Contributing/ should explain how to use a local branch to develop your changes and submit them, but I suppose it assumes some familiary with git already, otherwise it's pretty cryptic.

The net is full of git tutorials, here's one random one that should get you started: http://www.vogella.de/articles/Git/article.html
--
Osku Salerma

Anil Gulecha

Jan 8, 2012, 10:35:31 PM1/8/12
to tre...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!

And the interface looks nice (I wondered how our custom controls would
translate to thh mac widgets layout).

I putup the screenshot on twitterverse.

~Anil

Anil Gulecha

Jan 8, 2012, 10:37:16 PM1/8/12
to tre...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 4:45 AM, Max F <micr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried it on Ubuntu and the scrolling seems to work just the same.
> The only place I noticed a difference is the width of the document is
> a bit smaller on the Mac (you can tell in the screenshot as well).

The width depends on the font used.. the mac font is a tad bit thinner
than the Ubuntu counterpart.

Did you run all tests? Do they all work?

~Anil

Anil Gulecha

Jan 8, 2012, 11:28:39 PM1/8/12
to tre...@googlegroups.com
I also noted a bug:

The page layout border is a pixel lower.. look at the lower right
corner of the screenplay page in your screenshot.

.. a mac specific thing. These calculations produce the below on Linux:
http://www.trelby.org/files/screens/thumb/layoutmode.png

Another modification would be to not draw the window left border..
since Mac's toolbar does it anyway. This is around line 1352 in
src/trelby.org

dc.SetPen(cfgGui.tabBorderPen)
dc.DrawLine(0,0,0,size.height)

~Anil

Max F

Jan 9, 2012, 12:52:37 AM1/9/12
to Trelby
I saw the tests... haven't run them yet, though. I can do that while
I'm figuring out git. And that makes sense with the font, the default
Mac one is pretty small.

I think I see what you mean with the page borders. Here's a better
screenshot of the page:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15521212/full.png

And I think it's just a Mac thing to draw in random borders. I've seen
them before on other programs.

Max

Anil Gulecha

Jan 9, 2012, 1:01:29 AM1/9/12
to tre...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Max F <micr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw the tests... haven't run them yet, though. I can do that while
> I'm figuring out git. And that makes sense with the font, the default
> Mac one is pretty small.
>
> I think I see what you mean with the page borders. Here's a better
> screenshot of the page:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15521212/full.png
>
> And I think it's just a Mac thing to draw in random borders. I've seen
> them before on other programs.

I'm talking about the screenplay page which is drawn by Trelby. The
extra pixel is here:
http://i.szoter.com/82f2e8fa6c275f65.jpg

Not too big a deal.

~Anil

Max F

Jan 9, 2012, 1:10:59 AM1/9/12
to Trelby
Okay, I found that one too, right below the helpful comment on +2. I
can add that to the list of changes.

Anil Gulecha

Jan 22, 2012, 9:09:24 AM1/22/12
to tre...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I created a branch with the initial macosx patch that Max provided.

https://github.com/anilgulecha/trelby/tree/macosx

wxWidgets largely works on mac.. as can be seen by the changes
required to make it work:
https://github.com/anilgulecha/trelby/commit/9a243bc7c19d0a00fbdbe84a265846c4825600ec

Note: these changes are against 2.0.

~Anil

darque....@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2014, 5:16:23 AM7/15/14
to tre...@googlegroups.com, micr...@gmail.com
I clicked on the link to your zip file, it didn't work. I have a mac and would love to try this program. Would you be so kind to share it again?

Thank you

welcome.to...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2016, 10:46:00 AM1/30/16
to Trelby
I downloaded the zip file for mac and ran `python setup.py install`. I got the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 3, in <module>
    import py2exe
ImportError: No module named py2exe

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Anil Gulecha

Jan 30, 2016, 10:26:43 PM1/30/16
to tre...@googlegroups.com
Trelby is not supprrted on the Mac.

--

---

wholesaletr...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2016, 6:12:16 PM8/9/16
to Trelby
I run a film school and want to use this program for my kids but they all use Mac. Can anyone tell me how to get this up and running for Mac. Or a time frame. Not a fan of Celtx but heard great things about trebly.

datt....@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2016, 12:01:58 PM9/25/16
to Trelby, far...@gmail.com
Last post on this was august - has there been any update for a mac version please?

Anil Gulecha

Sep 26, 2016, 12:25:57 AM9/26/16
to tre...@googlegroups.com, far...@gmail.com
No update.

--

---

johnpst...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2018, 9:34:55 PM2/27/18
to Trelby
R.I.P MAC version :(

boer...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2018, 5:45:49 AM7/12/18
to Trelby
Actualy there is a working version for Mac (OSX 10.9+)
It's ready to test. A link is on Github in the comments.

Deepti Datt

Jul 12, 2018, 11:06:35 AM7/12/18
to tre...@googlegroups.com
oh great !