Naito & Clay (coming out of Waterfront Park)

Blake Goud

Jan 27, 2015, 1:49:16 AM1/27/15
to trans...@googlegroups.com
This is a dangerous intersection that I have had many, many close calls.  I sent the following email to SA...@portlandoregon.gov and would appreciate if anyone else has had similar issues if you could send something similar about your experiences to SA...@portlandoregon.gov or call it in to 503-823-SAFE.

Blake

Jul 8, 2015, 5:08:38 PM7/8/15
to trans...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I got hit at this location today.   Same situation, I was heading south on the sidewalk when a drive in the right lane is looking left down naito and ends up turning right on naito without looking.

Appears to only be minor damage to my bicycle and myself but now I have to invest in a horn to cross this section of Portland for distracted drivers.

I have submitted a letter as well.

Blake Goud

Jul 9, 2015, 3:48:40 PM7/9/15
to trans...@googlegroups.com
Hope you're ok Chris, I passed your story along to the engineer at PBOT who I have been discussing this intersection with and who is designing changes.  Here are their plans to improve the intersection, both immediately (signs should be up in the next 1-2 weeks I think from the timeline they gave when I asked).   Everyone who is familiar with the intersection should either post their comments here and I'll pass along to PBOT or email sa...@portlandoregon.gov

Blake

-------------------------------

Hi Blake,

After some discussion, we would like to start with the attached design.  I would like to ask for your help keeping an eye on the intersection and providing updates after the signage is installed to see how it’s working.  In the meantime, I’m going to keep asking that signals install the part-time restriction (PTR) NO TURN ON RED sign.  I will follow up with our traffic design group as well to see if there is an opportunity for green paint in the crosswalk, or another striping change to help provide awareness to drivers turning right here.

Thanks again for your thoughtfulness here and I look forward to hearing updates from you soon,

Mark Haines

City of Portland Bureau of Transportation

Senior Engineering Associate

Visio-wo0221049.pdf

Scott Kocher

Jul 11, 2015, 2:47:56 AM7/11/15
to trans...@googlegroups.com
Blake, it looks to me like the "LOOK" advisory sign proposed by Mark Haines has the bike symbol with the "rider" heading to the driver's right while the biggest crash risk is with riders heading to the driver's left. Flipping the symbol left-right might help.

Also, if an LPI (leading pedestrian interval) is considered, it should be weighed (1) whether the LPI deprives the person crossing on foot or bike of the opportunity to make eye contact with the inattentive driver who may be looking only for vehicle traffic from the left, and/or (2) whether it is phased too short so the ped may be in the driver's path when the driver gets green.

Scott