Rechecking safety and liveness properties without regenerating state space

Jones Martins

Feb 21, 2022, 6:39:13 PM2/21/22
to tlaplus
Hi everyone,

I know there are checkpoints in TLC, which allow the user to continue running the model checker after stopping it.

I'd like to know if there's a way to check safety and liveness properties without regenerating the state space. I'm assuming TLC stores the state space in a `states` directory, so running an invariance checker would be possible, at least...?

Thanks!

Jones

tlaplus-go...@lemmster.de

Feb 21, 2022, 9:06:26 PM2/21/22
to tla...@googlegroups.com
The states/ folder contains the queue of unexplored states and, for some properties, also a fingerprint graph.  However, this fingerprint graph is specific to the properties and cannot even be converted into a state graph without rerunning state-space exploration.

Markus

On Feb 21, 2022, at 3:39 PM, Jones Martins <jone...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'd like to know if there's a way to check safety and liveness properties without regenerating the state space. I'm assuming TLC stores the state space in a `states` directory, so running an invariance checker would be possible, at least…?

Jones Martins

Feb 22, 2022, 10:49:41 AM2/22/22
to tla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Markus,

I see. I just ran a 3-hour-long verification and Storage says 3 GB. I assume this is mostly due to the fingerprint graph then?

Do you think it'd be useful to check properties while avoid rerunning the state-space exploration?

Jones

tlaplus-go...@lemmster.de

Feb 22, 2022, 1:48:34 PM2/22/22
to tla...@googlegroups.com
The 3 GB can probably be attributed to the set of fingerprints (of explored states).  Try increasing the memory allocated to TLC on the TLC Options page of the Toolbox.

There are countless optimizations to make model-checking faster.  My feeling is that the proposed optimization doesn’t justify the effort.  That said, efficient state-graph serialization alone would be useful infrastructure for other features.  Thus, I’m happy to advise anybody who wants to do the heavy lifting.

Markus

Jones Martins

Feb 22, 2022, 3:01:09 PM2/22/22
to tla...@googlegroups.com
Hi Markus,

Which state-space serialization optimizations would you find more useful? Is there a list for them?

Also, a bit unrelated: GPU SSC algorithms would help with verifying liveness instead of safety, is that right?

Jones