How can I install an unofficial Saver?

Ryan Kramer

Sep 19, 2020, 3:53:45 PM9/19/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
I've developed a quick-and-dirty custom Saver that is not at all appropriate for public use (maybe someday). So instead, let's just pretend that this is my repo: https://github.com/brooksn/tiddlywiki-s3-saver

For testing, I have just manually edited the code into the HTML file. But now that I want to start using it for my real wiki, I'm worried about doing something wrong and introducing subtle corruption. Is there an easy way to install this Saver?

(Apologies if this should have been posted in the end-user group instead.)

@TiddlyTweeter

Sep 21, 2020, 12:58:21 PM9/21/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
ERM. Why bother? What is the the added value over extant tools?

PMario

Sep 21, 2020, 1:45:05 PM9/21/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
Hi Ryan,

How do you build your TW? With node?

You can set your environment variables see: https://tiddlywiki.com/#Environment%20Variables%20on%20Node.js to your plugin library.

If you build a new TW the plugin will be included.

If that's not enough, let us know!

-mario

Ryan Kramer

Sep 21, 2020, 7:14:27 PM9/21/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
Thank you Mario, that looks like what I want to do. (Assuming that once I build the TW using nodejs I can save it as a single file and use it in single-file mode going forward. This is probably obviously true but I'm new to TW5.)

@TiddlyTweeter "What is the the added value over extant tools?" Good question. I'm new to TW5 so maybe there is already a way to meet my requirements:
1) I should be able to access my wiki from anywhere, as long as I have a web browser and can remember my domain name, username, and password.
2) I should be able to stay signed-in via a browser cookie until I sign out.
3) The TW should be backed up as a single HTML file into a cloud storage account that I control.
4) Backups exceeding X days should automatically be purged

I realized I can do this very easily using AWS. The S3 bill will round down to zero (possibly literally), and everything else is within the AWS Free Tier.

The more I think about it, my custom Saver isn't very "custom" at all. It just does a PUT to send the entire HTML back to window.location.pathname. This probably isn't the most bandwidth-efficient way to do it, but it works for me.

TonyM

Oct 18, 2020, 6:54:22 PM10/18/20
to TiddlyWikiDev
Ryan,

Always consider an unofficial saver as a candidate for an  official saver if you can expand and democratise tiddlywiki,

Regards
Tones

Ryan Kramer

Oct 20, 2020, 7:16:24 PM10/20/20
to tiddly...@googlegroups.com
Will do. But I've just learned TiddlyWiki already has a built-in PutSaver which seems to do exactly what I need! I didn't notice it exists because it does an OPTIONS probe and my server wasn't responding, causing the PutSaver to assume that PUT is unsupported. If I make sure my server responds to OPTIONS (and maybe HEAD) properly, then I think the built-in saver will just work.