Unable to import metadata (fields) from file along with tiddler content

David Nebauer

Mar 24, 2019, 6:37:04 PM3/24/19
to TiddlyWiki
In the process of transferring data into TW5 on node-js, I've been trying to import tiddler files as described in https://tiddlywiki.com/#TiddlerFiles. I have tried including metadata fields at the head of the tiddler file, but they were imported as tiddler text. I tried moving the metadata to a separate meta file, but the meta file was not imported with the tiddler. I tried importing both the tiddler and meta files together but each was imported to its own tiddler, the latter as a plain text tiddler.

The only type of file I have been able to successfully import from is a div.tiddler style file, which enables me to upload metadata fields (creator, title, tags, created, etc.) with the tiddler text.

I have been following the standard import process, i.e., click on the paperclip icon and select a file (and repeat to import multiple files at once), and press the Import button. I can go into the process in more detail but I don't see what I could be doing wrong. Is there some trick or setting I need to use?

David Nebauer

Mar 25, 2019, 9:48:02 AM3/25/19
to TiddlyWiki
For the benefit of any (future) newbies trying to figure out TW/node-js importing, I'll document my findings here. First, yes, the standard ".tid" export format is not a valid import format. If you import this tiddler:

creator: Henry Casimir
modified: 20190320122829521
modifier: John Friso
tags: Test Demo Import Tid
title: Demo Testing Tid-Style Import
type: text/vnd.tiddlywiki

Content of demo "tid-style" tiddler.

you end up with:

imported-tid-style.png

Clearly the metadata fields do not import as fields.

Regards,
David.

David Nebauer

Mar 25, 2019, 9:54:34 AM3/25/19
to TiddlyWiki
You are also unable to import into TW5/node-js using meta files. You can split the previous tiddler into this tid file:

Content of demo "tid-style" tiddler with fields in an accompanying "meta" file.

and this meta file:

creator: Henry Casimir
modified: 20190320122829521
modifier: John Friso
tags: Test Demo Import Tid
title: Demo Testing Tid-Style Import
type: text/vnd.tiddlywiki

If you import just the tid file you end up with:

imported-tid-with-meta-style.png

and the meta file, which was in the same import directory, has no effect.

If you import both tid and meta files at the same time, you get the same effect from the tid file and the meta file is imported to its own tiddler:

imported-meta-file.png

Once again, a failure to import metadata.

Regards,
David.

David Nebauer

Mar 25, 2019, 9:56:45 AM3/25/19
to TiddlyWiki
What does work is the "div.tiddler" format. This input file:

<pre>Content of demo "tiddler-style" tiddler file.</pre>

results in this tiddler:

imported-tiddler-style.png

Success.

Regards,
David.

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 25, 2019, 10:01:18 AM3/25/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi David

Can you show the “import” command string you’re using? From Node.js for loading .tid files it’s usually easier to use the “load” command when you’re working with files that TW understands the extension.

Best wishes

Jeremy

On Monday, 25 March 2019 23:24:34 UTC+9:30, David Nebauer wrote:
You are also unable to import into TW5/node-js using meta files.

<imported-tiddler-style.png>

Message has been deleted

David Nebauer

Mar 25, 2019, 10:28:25 AM3/25/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Jeremy,

As I mentioned in my initial post, I'm using the Import ("paperclip") button. Pressing that opens a file selector dialog in which you select a file which is then displayed in a $:/Import tiddler, optionally repeat to nominate multiple files for import, then press the Import button in the $:/Import tiddler. Dragging and dropping the tid file onto the wiki has the same effect.

I have not tried the "load" command.

Regards,
David.

David Nebauer

Mar 25, 2019, 10:34:47 AM3/25/19
to TiddlyWiki
I see Mark S. has deleted his post but for people on email who saw it, I'm on Debian Linux running TW5 v5.1.19 on node-js, and have had the same results with both google-chrome and qutebrowser browsers. I had just deleted my import files when I saw your message, but have reconstructed the tid file and confirmed it acts the same way on my system as I described earlier.

Regards,
David.
Demo_Tid_Import.tid

Mark S.

Mar 25, 2019, 12:33:08 PM3/25/19
to TiddlyWiki

Perhaps it relates to your browser. Using firefox on Xubuntu 18.0.4?? with TW 5.1.20-prerelease (node) it imports perfectly. I'm not too surprised if qutebrowser can't do it, since it's billed as a minimalistic browser.

-- Mark

David Nebauer

Mar 26, 2019, 5:33:07 AM3/26/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Turns out, to my *great* surprise, that the suggestion by Mark S. is right. I installed firefox and it imported my test tid file correctly! Given chrome has over 60% of browser share, I tend to assume that if a mechanism does not work in chrome, as was the case with TW5 import on my system, that the breakage is due to the underlying mechanism rather than some interaction with my system.

I realise this is a volunteer hobby project, and I get the sense that many of its developers use firefox, but it might be useful to ensure major features of TW work in chrome. Of course, in this case I'm not sure whether TW import is broken on all versions of chrome on all platforms, or just a subset of them (or maybe just mine!).

Thanks, Mark S., for your help in troubleshooting.

Regards,
David.

Jeremy Ruston

Mar 26, 2019, 10:08:05 AM3/26/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi David

Turns out, to my *great* surprise, that the suggestion by Mark S. is right. I installed firefox and it imported my test tid file correctly! Given chrome has over 60% of browser share, I tend to assume that if a mechanism does not work in chrome, as was the case with TW5 import on my system, that the breakage is due to the underlying mechanism rather than some interaction with my system.

I realise this is a volunteer hobby project, and I get the sense that many of its developers use firefox, but it might be useful to ensure major features of TW work in chrome. Of course, in this case I'm not sure whether TW import is broken on all versions of chrome on all platforms, or just a subset of them (or maybe just mine!).

Thanks, Mark S., for your help in troubleshooting.

Dragging and dropping your .tid file into TW works for me on macOS on Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Opera. I really don't think that this can be a general Chrome issue, there must be something else going on.

Best wishes

Jeremy

Regards,
David.