Presenting NoteSlam

David Gifford

May 7, 2018, 12:55:54 PM5/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi everyone

See the following link for my TW adaptation 'NoteSlam!'. NoteSlam! facilitates faster creation of an outline or table of contents of tiddlers, and also for stamping of bibliographic data in tiddlers. NoteSlam! is not ideal for mobile as it stands now, but if someone wants to create their own mobile version of it and host/maintain it, be my guest.

http://giffmex.org/tw.adaptations/noteslam.online.html

I am hoping NoteSlam! might be an ideal entry-level TiddlyWiki for new users who get disoriented by the non-hierarchical nature of TiddlyWiki.

Blessings, Dave

@TiddlyTweeter

May 7, 2018, 1:35:34 PM5/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
That is useful. It should go on Gifford's list :-) x

David Gifford wrote:
NoteSlam! facilitates faster creation of an outline or table of contents of tiddlers, and also for stamping of bibliographic data in tiddlers...

http://giffmex.org/tw.adaptations/noteslam.online.html

David Gifford

May 7, 2018, 1:37:44 PM5/7/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Was getting to that!

David Gifford
Mexico team leader, Mexico City

Resonate Global Mission
Engaging People. Embracing Christ.
A Ministry of the Christian Reformed Church
resonateglobalmission.org

TonyM

May 7, 2018, 8:39:55 PM5/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
David,

I was just reviewing it again at http://giffmex.org/tw.adaptations/noteslam.online.html

I just noticed its based on 5.1.16-prerelease

Also I was fooled when I forgot the subtly different bullet point hides new tiddlers perhaps this could be illustrated another way, or have an option to list new tiddlers immediately in the TOC.

Thanks for your work

Tony

David Gifford

May 7, 2018, 9:07:24 PM5/7/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Ouch, I just tried upgrading. What a mess. I am taking the file down immediately so people don't use it. Not sure what to do. I have a feeling it is the panflex macro because there are heap of state tiddlers besides the toc state tiddlers.

I may just write this off as a failed experiment...

David Gifford
Mexico team leader, Mexico City

Resonate Global Mission
Engaging People. Embracing Christ.
A Ministry of the Christian Reformed Church
resonateglobalmission.org

David Gifford

Diego Mesa

May 7, 2018, 9:21:39 PM5/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hey David,

This is wonderful! Is there anyway this could be a plugin so I can use in on production sites I already have up?

Thanks!

David Gifford

TonyM

David Gifford

David Gifford

May 7, 2018, 10:57:21 PM5/7/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi again everyone

NoteSlam has been saved from oblivion! Some aspect of my first version today was not up to date with the current release of TW and would not upgrade. I am not sure how that happened. I am suspicious of Panflex or the items it is based on.

But I have redone NoteSlam at the same location, now using the leftbar from Twaddle: http://giffmex.org/tw.adaptations/noteslam.online.html. I also made it more like a regular TiddlyWiki, too - the standard arrows for the toc, the vanilla palette, and I cloned the core toc macro rather than editing it.

Diego Mesa asked me tonight about packaging it as a plugin. I don't have time to read up on the Tinka plugin to figure out how to do that right now. That will also take trial and error on my part, no doubt. And I lost enough time as it is  re-doing NoteSlam. Hopefully I can do that at a later date, in a few weeks.

Looks like everything else is in order, though, so start slamming notes into tiddlers and tiddlers into outlines!

Blessings,

Dave

@TiddlyTweeter

May 8, 2018, 9:05:46 AM5/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
Any way to get the Tiddlers of sources INTO the Outline Tree? Meaning you click an item and it expands to show the entry? Meaning, also, why have a separate Story River? Any way to make the Outline already the Story?

Just thoughts
Josiah

David Gifford

May 8, 2018, 9:14:23 AM5/8/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
hmmmm, maybe a slider for each item that reveals the text field when clicked? Your idea a lot closer to a true outliner.

But I have to confess that in most cases I like the separation of outline from content. Especially since they are right next to each other. I tend to have a lot of long tiddlers. So mixing content and outline doesn't allow me to have both open at the same time, to bounce back and forth between the overview/context and the details, the forest and the trees.

Let me play with NoteSlam for a while, and see if your idea begins to bother me enough to start experimenting with it.

David Gifford
Mexico team leader, Mexico City

Resonate Global Mission
Engaging People. Embracing Christ.
A Ministry of the Christian Reformed Church
resonateglobalmission.org

@TiddlyTweeter

May 8, 2018, 9:51:18 AM5/8/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
David Gifford wrote:
... I tend to have a lot of long tiddlers ...

Got it. My idea won't work with that mode of organisation. There its more A Very Smart Contents List. I think.

But I did come across "a bloke called Gifford" who made a good basic guide to TiddlyWiki resources (not in TW) using a really neat Outline with (brief) inline content that did work well. You know it? :-) J, x

David Gifford

May 8, 2018, 9:58:38 AM5/8/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Yes but the difference is, with that tool all I have to do to start a new level of the outline is hit the indent key. Hard to compete with that in TiddlyWiki...

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 8:51 AM, @TiddlyTweeter <Tiddly...@assays.tv> wrote:
David Gifford wrote:
... I tend to have a lot of long tiddlers ...

Got it. My idea won't work with that mode of organisation. There its more A Very Smart Contents List. I think.

But I did come across "a bloke called Gifford" who make a good basic guide to TiddlyWiki resources (not in TW) using a really neat Outline with (brief) inline content that did work well. You know it? :-) J, x

@TiddlyTweeter

May 8, 2018, 10:25:23 AM5/8/18
to TiddlyWiki
Ciao David

I never used keys much in TW. Kinda surprised that you can't associate them with specific actions you'd need.

Josiah

David Gifford wrote:
... all I have to do to start a new level of the outline is hit the indent key. Hard to compete with that in TiddlyWiki...

Pit.W.

May 22, 2018, 10:13:47 AM5/22/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com

@Diego Mesa: Noteslam as a plugin:

The main functionality -the add button in the selective-expandable- (I have not tested the other macros)
could be packaged to a plugin by:

1.cloning $:/.noteslam/macros/toc.tweaked  and $:/.noteslam/tocstylesheet

2. Do a search "toc" and replace "tocN"

3. call the macros with the expression <<tocN-selective-expandable "tocentry">>(note the "N"); the normal functions <<toc-  from the core remain functioning

4. then you can Tinka-pack the 2 tiddlers

Ceterum censeo: this should be considered a functionality for the core!

NB:  this offers amazing perspectives combined with the tocP macros (field-based tables of contents) and tidgraph (set to tagging mode)!

Pit

Ihre E-Mail-Postfächer sicher & zentral an einem Ort. Jetzt wechseln und alte E-Mail-Adresse mitnehmen! https://www.eclipso.de

Sylvain Naudin

May 30, 2018, 8:48:39 AM5/30/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi,

Yes, it's a pretty nice proposal for new user.

I've updated a copy to last TW 5.1.17, but LeftBar plugin seems broken..

Sylvain

Sylvain Naudin

May 30, 2018, 9:03:35 AM5/30/18
to TiddlyWiki

Le mercredi 30 mai 2018 14:48:39 UTC+2, Sylvain Naudin a écrit :
I've updated a copy to last TW 5.1.17, but LeftBar plugin seems broken..

Just redifine 0px when leftbar is hide on ControlPanel, and now it's OK.

Mohammad

Jun 11, 2018, 3:43:24 PM6/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
David!
 After you finalize your outline, is it possible to have a checkbox or some setting to hide the plus sign?
Also it is good to prevent editing to final user!

Best
Mohammad

David Gifford wrote:
... I tend to have a lot of long tiddlers ...

Got it. My idea won't work with that mode of organisation. There its more A Very Smart Contents List. I think.

But I did come across "a bloke called Gifford" who make a good basic guide to TiddlyWiki resources (not in TW) using a really neat Outline with (brief) inline content that did work well. You know it? :-) J, x

David Gifford

Jun 11, 2018, 7:18:01 PM6/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad

1) A version of the outline without the plusses is in the tiddler

Printable table of contents

(Make sure to have a look at the Noteslam tab for more instructions like that)

2) I designed Noteslam as a personal tool not as something to use to share with others. Feel free to adapt it as you please for sharing things with 'final users'.

To be honest, I get disenchanted with the original Noteslam the same day I created it. Long tiddler entries and too many levels of indenting mean it doesn't fit in the sidebar. Also, I wanted a way to format outline entry text by color, etc. So I created this: http://giffmex.org/noteslam/noteslam.online.mine.html. It requires an extra step for each entry (paste the title into the caption field and possibly format it). It also means ordering is by title but what is displayed is the caption field, so items can be displayed in something other than alphabetical order without resorting to 01. or other tricks.

Mohammad

Jun 11, 2018, 10:56:15 PM6/11/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you David
Have you upgraded it in TW 5.1.17?
Seems the margin at left is not correct?

David Gifford

Mohammad

Jun 12, 2018, 9:16:45 AM6/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Many thanks David!
It looks clean and handy!

Cheers

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 9:56 PM, Mohammad <mohammad...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you David
Have you upgraded it in TW 5.1.17?
Seems the margin at left is not correct?

Mohammad

Jun 12, 2018, 1:59:19 PM6/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
In the

$:/.noteslam/Stylesheet/For.publishing

Why colors defined as below
html body.tc-body .red {color: red; font-weight: bold;}
html body.tc-body .green {color:#0a5;font-weight:bold;}
html body.tc-body .blue {color:#0e34a2;font-weight:bold;}
html body.tc-body .orange {color:#e81;font-weight: bold;}

Why not define colors like this
.red {color: red; font-weight: bold;}

/Mohammad

David Gifford

Jun 12, 2018, 4:35:14 PM6/12/18
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohammad

For some of the classes,
html body.tc-body
is necessary to make them work. I know so little about such things that I tend to add it to everything just to make sure.

David Gifford
Mexico team leader, Mexico City

Resonate Global Mission
Engaging People. Embracing Christ.
A Ministry of the Christian Reformed Church
resonateglobalmission.org

@TiddlyTweeter

Jun 12, 2018, 4:50:28 PM6/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Mohammad & David

Its an interesting question.

Davìd is going for coverage.

Mohammad is wondering why make it so complicated?

The quick answer is that the cascade of CSS in TW can sometimes be confusing because some bits can be switched off and on and you need to know what is active, when, to work it out. So David goes global.

Just a note
Josiah
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tiddlywiki+...@googlegroups.com.

Mohammad

Jun 12, 2018, 10:59:45 PM6/12/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you Josiah!
So that way David used global declaration!

/Mohammad

David Gifford

Ton Gerner

Jun 13, 2018, 3:43:57 AM6/13/18
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mohammad,

Search e.g. for `tc-body` in the core stylesheet $:/themes/tiddlywiki/vanilla/base and you will find different combinations.

See also the last paragraphs in http://tw5custom.tiddlyspot.com/#Stylesheet%20general. These contain my findings in the past.

Be aware I am just and end-user so don't ask me 'why and when'.

Cheers,

Ton

Mohammad

Jun 13, 2018, 4:43:54 AM6/13/18
to TiddlyWiki
Thank you David
Thank you Ton,

I learn different elements of TW.

Cheers
Mohammad

Jero

Jul 26, 2020, 8:27:31 AM7/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Hi. How can I uninstall Noteslam! from my wiki?

I used Noteslam for quite a while and it was very helpful. Thank you very much, David Gifford.

But now that I learned how to place a Table-Of-Contents tab in the right pane I  don´t need NoteSlam! anymore, and I would prefer to uninstall it. (I have an issue with Noteslam's three-line-icon on the upper left corner of the screen: I export tiddlers as PDF documents very often, and each time I must manually indent the first line of every page because that icon covers that space.)

But now I cannot find the instructions on how to uninstall Noteslam.
I would simply reverse the installation procedure, but Icannot even remember how I installed it. (I now wonder how did I find the instructions to install it back then. Now I cannot find them either!)
I only remember that NoteSlam was not a usual Plugin.

Any help appreciated.

David Gifford

Jul 26, 2020, 9:08:50 AM7/26/20
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jero

In the sidebar More tab, System subtab, just delete the tiddlers that start with $:/.noteslam, and maybe the plugins (they start with $:/plugin/).

Yes, my notetaking items like NoteSlam and Stroll are adaptations of TiddlyWiki rather than plugins, so normally one would move one's data out of the NoteSlam file and into a new TiddlyWiki file using the new file's import process, only importing non-system ($:/) tiddlers.

Blessings

David Gifford
Mexico team leader, Mexico City

Resonate Global Mission
Engaging People. Embracing Christ.
A Ministry of the Christian Reformed Church
resonateglobalmission.org

Jero

Jul 26, 2020, 8:55:17 PM7/26/20
to TiddlyWiki
Ah, OK, got it. Thank you very much, David! Wish you a nice day.