Ipfs with TiddlyWiki

Xavier Maysonnave

Nov 9, 2019, 3:28:16 AM11/9/19
to TiddlyWiki
Dear Friends,

I just published a new version v0.2.6 of Ipfs with TiddlyWiki.

You can save your wikis and their attachments over Ipfs, attachment encryption is also supported.
The only open free server I know is https://infura.io otherwise for a faster and more personal experience your need the tandem Ipfs Companion and Ipfs Desktop.

This version supports the following feature:
- Ipfs
- Ipns
- Unpin previous version
- Encrypt and Unencrypt attachments
- Ens, It means that the plugin is able to update your Ens domain to provide a better experience.

The official web site is reachable @
https://bluelightav.eth if you have an Ens capable browser or
This web site provides a full documentation.

As a test case I also published the official https://tidllywiki.com over Ipfs @

Bug reports and enhancement requests should be done on GitHub @

Warmly

TonyM

Nov 9, 2019, 4:59:29 PM11/9/19
to TiddlyWiki
Xavier

Thanks very much for sharing. I will look into this soon. It may be helpful for you to add to this threads original post, using the Google forum and provide an acronym free explanation of what ipfs and this implementation offers. Basic benefits are requirements are more likely to catch peoples eyes.

Great contribution thanks.

Regards
Tony

Xavier Maysonnave

Nov 10, 2019, 11:11:09 PM11/10/19
to TiddlyWiki
Dear Friends,

Following Tony's request here a few links about Ipfs.
Ipfs stands for Interplanetary File System. Basically this a decentralized distributed file system.

These days many projects who investigate the web3 field use this system.

Major corporations are already invested in these field :

Basically the supported features are enumerated in my original post.
You'll find more informations and a full documentation in the main wiki.
https://bluelightav.eth or https://bluelightav.eth.link if you don't have an ENS capable browser.

Hope it helps.

Warmly

TonyM

Nov 11, 2019, 1:06:41 AM11/11/19
to TiddlyWiki
Xaiver,

Thanks for those references. When using IPFS;
  • Does it save the whole wiki as a single file, or as independent tiddlers?
  • Is there a way to control who can save and who can't?
  • Will we be able to save data such as current logged in user and deal with possible contention?
Thanks heaps for sharing.

Tony

Xavier Maysonnave

Nov 11, 2019, 1:19:25 AM11/11/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony,

Right now this is the standard behavior as the File saver.
It means that everyone can save and get a new copy.

When you save your wiki, the whole content is stored on Ipfs.
However you can store your attachments individually over Ipfs, encrypted or not.

Ipfs files are immutable it means that each time you save a content you create a new content and get a new ipfs identifier.

Team work around a wiki is an interesting topic.
For instance I'm thinking to a solution where a team or a set of people will be able to update ENS.
I'm not at that stage right now.
Definitely on my todo though.

By the way did you play with the plugin ?

Thanks

“Matter is Energy. Energy is Light. We are all Light Beings.” - Albert Einstein
Pudhuveedu / Xavier

TonyM

Nov 11, 2019, 1:43:58 AM11/11/19
to TiddlyWiki
Xavier

Thanks, I am still a little out of my depth but I am very interested in the futures in this. I have some background knowledge of blockchain.

It means that everyone can save and get a new copy.

Does that mean that the IPFS server will retain every saved version or are the old ones aged and eventually trashed?

Team work around a wiki is an interesting topic.
For instance I'm thinking to a solution where a team or a set of people will be able to update ENS.

Still learning so not sure about ENS but this sounds great.

By the way did you play with the plugin ?

So far only via your demo so far.

Some thoughts that come to mind;
  • Publishing plugins and JSON files as IPFS files, and being able to get the latest across multiple tiddlywikis.
  • Exporting a JSON file of tiddlers to an IPFS file from multiple WIkis and being able to import them (With import controls) to a master wiki.
I liked the cloudflare link you gave
I am curious how the IPFS servers would cope with very large volumes and who pays for it if its free. You could imagine the whole internet going this way one day.

Thanks for the heads up

Tony

TonyM

Nov 11, 2019, 1:45:07 AM11/11/19
to TiddlyWiki
Post script;

And could we publish each tiddler independently, at least select ones.

Regards
Tony

Xavier Maysonnave

Nov 11, 2019, 2:59:17 AM11/11/19
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony,

The principles you described is called pining.
By default everything you add is pined however behind the scene Ipfs implements several feature.
As far as I remember pined resources are not garbage collected however I provide a feature call unpin who can unpin previous version when saved. There is a lot of limitation though. infura do not let you unpin resources for example however Ipfs companion let you unpin previous version.
infura and ipfs companion do not let use ipns for instance.
If you want the full Ipfs features you need to setup a server (generate ipns keys and use ipns).
In the meantime Ipfs companion and Ipfs desktop are an easy to setup solution.

The use case you described about exporting tiddlers could be interresting. Let me think about that. Right now I work on Metamask and PKI encryption. I also need to work on my server to provide a community server and there comes the login, identification issue. I need to prototype and evaluate what's available.

The idea behind Ipfs is to deploy servers. That way you increase the overall available servers and the network resilience. One the principle is that a resource is not automatically broadcasted over the network. Only requested resources are distributed. This is a reason why the default is infura.io where you upload resources and the gateway is another server. The time to propagate could be from 2mn to 6mn.

Warmly

“Matter is Energy. Energy is Light. We are all Light Beings.” - Albert Einstein
Pudhuveedu / Xavier

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/1cfa5a12-5f22-436e-863f-c58a2caf1317%40googlegroups.com.

HansWobbe

Nov 11, 2019, 10:25:04 AM11/11/19
to TiddlyWiki
Xavier:

You comments in this thread are very interesting to me.  The concept of "immutable" IPFS servers is one that I believe is sufficiently interesting that I may be able to set one up early next year.  In the mean time, I'll review some of the links you've provided and try to learn enough to be able to contribute.

Best regards,
Hans

Xavier Maysonnave

Nov 12, 2019, 11:04:25 PM11/12/19
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Hans,
Thanks for your interest.
Any contributing effort is always welcome.
Warmly