Launching Kayak near Fletcher's

vaddco

Apr 23, 2013, 3:44:35 PM4/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have only seen people rent rowboats or canoes at Fletcher's. Can you launch your own kayak there?

Dale White

Apr 23, 2013, 3:53:35 PM4/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I've done it. You can walk downstream a bit from the parking lot and there's an open shallow area that is pretty rocky that you can launch in. I don't think they want anyone launching from the rowboat/kayak/canoe dock.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

DRW

**********************
Dale R. White
mobile: +1 202.255.9977

Scott Stankus

Apr 23, 2013, 4:23:01 PM4/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
That's correct - there are signs on the dock prohibiting the launching of private watercraft.

--Scott

Sent from my iPhone

Matthew Longley

Vic Velasco

Apr 23, 2013, 6:01:35 PM4/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I haven't driven through the tunnel, but does anyone think a kayak in the bed of a pickup truck or carried on roof racks would be an issue going through?

Mike Bailey

Apr 23, 2013, 6:03:47 PM4/23/13
to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders
Too close to call with a roof rack.  To play it safe I suggest you measure or hump it over the canal foot bridge.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Bryan Lanier

Apr 23, 2013, 6:16:34 PM4/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

The sign says 7' clearance. I would go for in the bed.

Bryan Lanier

Apr 23, 2013, 6:23:41 PM4/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

And I'm not sure I trust the sign. I drove thru the tunnel in my pickup without the rack. I felt like it barely made it. My truck srands at 6'4".

Longley

Apr 23, 2013, 6:35:54 PM4/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Made it through in a Subaru outback with a canoe on top, had maybe 2 inches to spare.  I got out and watched while my buddy drove.  Whatever you do, be really careful...

Sent from my mobile device
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.

Terry C

Apr 24, 2013, 8:01:54 AM4/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I launch my kayak at Fletchers all the time.   When I get to the upper lot I take it off the roof rack and slid it in the back of my Ford Escape hatch back.  Drive through the tunnel to the end of the parking lot and you will see an access road down to the water.  if the gate is open I will back in and take the kayak out closer to the river.  On the way out I reverse the process drive through the tunnel with the kayak in the hatch back then put it up once I get to the upper parking lot.   The sign says 7 ft. but it looks very low driving through the tunnel.  If I had a low wagon like an older Subaru it think it would be ok to drive through with the Kayak on top.

Eric Y.

Apr 24, 2013, 9:23:30 AM4/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Recently, I have seen a newer Volvo v70 Cross Country with Yakima racks and a canoe as well as a 2009+ Prius with Thule racks and a canoe both make it through there just fine.

I know my prius would make it because it is only maybe 2" taller than me than the car when I lay my kayak on top and I have plenty of room above my head (6'2") when I have stood in the tunnel.

Dave Jamieson

Apr 24, 2013, 9:44:16 AM4/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I load my Tarpon 120 on the roof rack of my Civic. After crunching the numbers, I just never felt comfortable trying to get it through the tunnel. If I'm gonna destroy my yak, I'd rather do it in a way I didn't foresee. So I jockey for a spot at the upper lot, then use my kayak cart to wheel it over the canal and down the hill. It takes longer, but there's piece of mind.

The best spot I've found to launch is the same others have suggested -- the small sandy spot in the downstream corner of the cove. You may have to poke around for it amidst all the driftwood, but it's there. The cart, by the way, has made life a lot easier. Not sure how I managed without it.

Brendan

Apr 24, 2013, 11:28:24 AM4/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
yea, do not pay attention to the advertised height.  the tunnel is definitely lower than 7'.

car is about 6'2" and 6'5" or so with unloaded rack on top and it barely makes it through. Not worth

anyone know the launching policy at the new boathouse that's taking over Jack's?

vaddco

Apr 24, 2013, 9:53:14 PM4/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Are there any time restrictions? Could I get on the water at 6am if I wanted?

Thanks for the responses.

Terry Cummings