Fly Reel Fixer-Uper Help

Shawn

Jul 7, 2016, 8:21:20 AM7/7/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I received the attached fly reels from my Grandfather over the holiday weekend and was thinking of having them checked out but wasn't sure where to go. Was hoping some of you might have some ideas of who might be able to help. The Pemco auto fly reel doesn't have a line on it and probably hasn't been used in over 15 years. The HI 1875 has a line on it, no backing, and also probably hasn't been used in as long. Ultimately, they'll probably sit on the mantel, but would like to try to make them functional and try them out at least once or twice, maybe even put on a fiberglass rod for sunfish. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Shawn
HI 1875.JPG
PEMCO Back.JPG
PEMCO Front.JPG

namfos

Jul 7, 2016, 9:14:46 AM7/7/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That HI 1875 looks a lot like an older Pflueger Medalist. It might even have been made by Pflueger for HI. You might check http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/ to see if they have the corresponding manual or schematic (or one that's "close enough")  Also see: http://www.flyfishohio.com/Anglers_Guide_to_Pflueger_Medalist.htm and http://www.flyfishohio.com/Guide_to_Pflueger_Medalist_Part_2.htm

As for the PEMCO, there's this: http://bit.ly/29ke40p

Mark

Shawn

Jul 7, 2016, 2:26:47 PM7/7/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for the insight Mark! I had thought the one looked closely as Medalist and will contact Pfluegar. The "HI" stands for Horracks-Ibbotson who was mostly known as a maker of lower/entry level bamboo fly rods (my Dad's got one I had refurbished a few years ago); so maybe Pfluegar had them made and branded them as lower level reels. Has a nice click sound but sticks a little.

Bob Smith

Jul 7, 2016, 9:55:09 PM7/7/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Bring the Pemco to the next Beer Tie and I can take a look at it for you. I collect these things and can even take them apart without blowing up the winding spring/ratchet mechanism.

The Pemco is the economy line of the Perrine automatic fly reels. Mostly a matter of cosmetics. If you ever use it you have to take some precautions. It's really easy to hit the trigger and retrieve the line so quickly it jams or catches on a tip top or guide and KAPOW BLAM KABOOM goes a rod tip or section. Aside from that they're fun to use.

namfos

Jul 8, 2016, 9:28:13 AM7/8/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
It's a "click & pawl" reel (no fancy drag) so probably almost any schematic for a Medalist click and pawl might at least give you some insight on how to dismantle, clean and reassemble it. When you do disassemble it, use an old ice cube tray or egg tray from the fridge to put all the tiny parts in. There's nothing more frustrating and foul mouthed curse-inducing that dropping tiny screws and parts on the floor from the work surface. If you're lucky you'll find them months, if not years, later which will then induce another round of cursing. ;-)

Mark

namfos

Jul 8, 2016, 9:30:35 AM7/8/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
LOL, Bob.  Now that's truly Yin & Yang.

BTW, I'll be bringing my 3 cane poles for you to take a look at.

Mark

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 9:55:09 PM UTC-4, Bob Smith wrote:

... and KAPOW BLAM KABOOM goes a rod tip or section. Aside from that they're fun to use.

Bob Smith

Jul 8, 2016, 10:49:59 AM7/8/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Great. I need to make sure I set a reminder to attend. I forget things easily.

Sent from my iPad
--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

namfos

Jul 8, 2016, 11:53:42 AM7/8/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
CRS is a terrible affliction. ;-)

Mark

Carl Z.

Jul 8, 2016, 9:31:37 PM7/8/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
These aren't expensive reels (can be purchased for about $10).

The automatics are fun and a good cleaning and lube job as Bob suggests is what is needed.  They are good for warm water fishing where the drag isn't as important as they do bind.  I usually pair them with an old, beater fiberglass rod.

The second one looks like a Pflueger clone.  Probably made by Olympia/Seiko.  If you can stretch the line (Play some tug of war with it) and get rid of the corkscrew, you can use it for panfishing, but otherwise, just strip it off and toss it.  Clean with soap and water, dry thoroughly and give it a little bit of oil and it will fish forever.

I have quite a few of these Pflueger clones and some of them fish really well for what they are.

Carl

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 9:55 PM, 'Bob Smith' via Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Bring the Pemco to the next Beer Tie and I can take a look at it for you. I collect these things and can even take them apart without blowing up the winding spring/ratchet mechanism.

The Pemco is the economy line of the Perrine automatic fly reels. Mostly a matter of cosmetics. If you ever use it you have to take some precautions. It's really easy to hit the trigger and retrieve the line so quickly it jams or catches on a tip top or guide and KAPOW BLAM KABOOM goes a rod tip or section. Aside from that they're fun to use.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Bob Smith

Jul 8, 2016, 9:53:43 PM7/8/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
$10 automatics once upon a time. Good working models can be found for that if you hit a lucky EBay listing but the average price is $25-$45 these days. You find one in a clean box with instructions and not too scuffed up can go for $60 or better. You have a mint one of the right model or one that someone needs to fill a hole in a collection you're going well over $100-$200. (I know from painful experience)

Makes me wish I'd saved everything I ever owned as a kid through my twenties...$$

Sent from my iPad
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.

Carl Z.

Jul 8, 2016, 9:57:49 PM7/8/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
For medalist info:

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Anglers_Guide_to_Pflueger_Medalist.htm

I have rebuilt more of these than I care to mention.  I love the bullet proof functionality.
Pflueger was bought out by Pure fishing recently (which again was sold) and no longer produces or sells the old style medalists.  They sell a reel that they call a Medalist, but it is a Hardy clone.

For upgrades to old medalists, onepfoot makes some nice products. http://www.onepfoot.com/Products.php
The counterbalance really smooths out the action of the reel when line is peeling out.

Here is a clone from my collection,
Inline image 2

And here is a 75 year old medalist, Besides a little paint loss, it's fully functional.
Inline image 1

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Carl Z.

Jul 8, 2016, 10:05:28 PM7/8/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but an Oren-o-matic without a box is $10 reel last time I checked.  It's probably worth more as a boat anchor :-)

Bob,  You're welcome to pick through my box of automatic's and grab the one's you want, but none are in mint condition.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

Bob Smith

Jul 8, 2016, 10:10:57 PM7/8/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm on eBay everyday, if it's going for $10 unless it slipped under the radar, which happens, it ain't worth buying.

I'll gladly check your box of autos. I don't know why, but ilove the things and gave the collecting bug for them.  Aaaggghh

Sent from my iPad

Bob Smith

Jul 8, 2016, 10:21:21 PM7/8/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Carl just posted the links I was going to. Onepfoot is a hoot. "Pimp your Medalist" for real. I have a dozen waiting for parts from there and a nice paint job. Why drop all that cash on a Phlueger Medalist? Because I have several that are between 50 - 70 years old that are still working with original parts and after being rebuilt will be fishing a hundred years from now. Plus, how sweet does this look?

Not mine, but what mine will look like when finished.

 image2.jpeg

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 8, 2016, at 9:57 PM, Carl Z. <carl....@gmail.com> wrote:

For medalist info:

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Anglers_Guide_to_Pflueger_Medalist.htm

I have rebuilt more of these than I care to mention.  I love the bullet proof functionality.
Pflueger was bought out by Pure fishing recently (which again was sold) and no longer produces or sells the old style medalists.  They sell a reel that they call a Medalist, but it is a Hardy clone.

For upgrades to old medalists, onepfoot makes some nice products. http://www.onepfoot.com/Products.php
The counterbalance really smooths out the action of the reel when line is peeling out.

Here is a clone from my collection,
<Clone.jpg>

And here is a 75 year old medalist, Besides a little paint loss, it's fully functional.
<Medalist1496a.jpg>

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 8:21:20 AM UTC-4, Shawn wrote:
I received the attached fly reels from my Grandfather over the holiday weekend and was thinking of having them checked out but wasn't sure where to go.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

http://www.tpfr.org
---

TurbineBlade

Jul 9, 2016, 8:52:08 AM7/9/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Are old fly reels a good value?  Clearly for someone who already owns one it may make sense to fix it up for a variety of reasons.  For someone who does not have one, is it worth buying one off ebay or is it cheaper to go with a modern reel?

I didn't know if this is like putting $6,000 into a 1981 Chevy Scottsdale pick-up, putting in hours of labor on it, and then ending up with a truck valued at $5,000.

Gene

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

http://www.tpfr.org
---
Message has been deleted

Bob Smith

Jul 9, 2016, 9:36:56 AM7/9/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
God, I hate auto spell

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 9, 2016, at 9:35 AM, 'Bob Smith' via Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I think it all depends on what you want. The new reels are light weight to match up with the modern rods that keep following the really stupid trend of lighter and lighter rods. So old reels would tend to make the outfit feel out of balance.

People who fish glass and cane like the old reels because they balance out. And as far as weight goes I find myself less tired at the end of the day casting a glass or cane outfit than my graphite outfits. Seems counter intuit but when you can actually feel the rod p

As far as the relative monetary value in tricking out old Phlueger, well som things you don't measure in resale value or practicality. And I can but an old Medalist and rebuild it to look like the one pictured for way less than the cost of any modern reel above a mid grade model.

Sent from my iPad
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com.

http://www.tpfr.org
---

Bob Smith

Jul 9, 2016, 9:58:27 AM7/9/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Value?
I think it all depends on what you want and or need. New reels are light weight to match up with modern rods that keep following the really stupid trend of lighter and lighter rods. So old reels would tend to make the outfit feel out of balance.

People who fish glass and cane like the old reels because they balance out. And as far as weight goes I find myself less tired at the end of the day casting a glass or cane outfit than my graphite outfits. Seems counter intuitive but when you can actually feel the rod loading and the line working it's less tiring throwing line.

As far as the relative monetary value in tricking out old Phluegers, well some things you don't measure in resale value or practicality. And I can buy an old Medalist and rebuild it to look like the one pictured for way less than the cost of any modern reel above a mid grade model.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 9, 2016, at 8:52 AM, TurbineBlade <doubl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Are old fly reels a good value? Clearly for someone who already owns one it may make sense to fix it up for a variety of reasons. For someone who does not have one, is it worth buying one off ebay or is it cheaper to go with a modern reel?

I didn't know if this is like putting $6,000 into a 1981 Chevy Scottsdale pick-up, putting in hours of labor on it, and then ending up with a truck valued at $5,000.

Gene

Sent from my iPad

Carl Z.

Jul 9, 2016, 1:12:50 PM7/9/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Gene,

There are a few reels out there that are a good value, but ... by the time you learn which ones are good, you've spent too much time and money buying reels that aren't a value.

And as Bob mentioned, sometimes it's just fun.  A US made medalist is a great reel for a glass Fenwick, but a beat up one is as good as a mint one.  They are indestructable.

And no clicker reel is going to have as much drag as a modern disk drag reel.  But cheap drag reels have the same problem.  Some are garbage, some aren't.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

danflyfish

Jul 9, 2016, 5:56:51 PM7/9/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I rarely post anywhere online, but I thought I might here and in this instance. (I'm also still a T-P FFF member from my days of working in DC and enjoy following this discussion board.)

Value is an interesting question regarding any piece of tackle, but when I was purchasing One-Pfoot from Bill Franke several years ago he made an observation that I still find just as interesting: He said that after upgrading reels for nearly 33 years, he'd never seen one for sale on the open market. He interpreted this as a sign--and I think rightly so--that people who purchased his reels particularly valued them. Moreover, I haven't seen any for sale since I bought the business and haven't seen, of heard of, any of the ones I've upgraded being for sale either.

I have a 1498 that's been upgraded with parts machine by Herman Boss, Bill Franke and I. With it I've landed over 400 bonefish, three permit, four tarpon, over fifty peacock bass, and a lot of close-to-home steelhead, among other species. My favorite 1494 has been an equally good companion.

Well, enough said. I enjoy the list and always enjoy seeing or reading about anglers using vintage tackle.

Dan Hill
onepfoot.com
Erie, PA

Bob Smith

Jul 9, 2016, 6:04:39 PM7/9/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Good observation and well said.
And Onepfoot is a wonderful resource. Hope it's doing well and sticks around.

Cheers, Bob Smith

Sent from my iPad
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---
Message has been deleted

TurbineBlade

Jul 10, 2016, 7:20:38 AM7/10/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I should have added that I own about 10 old fenwick glass rods now and love them, especially that 7-footer (FF706).  Those are a good value to me because they aren't too expensive, and slower action, short, 6-weights just aren't common in the current market.  I guess what I mostly meant was whether old reels can be "gotten into" for a reasonable amount of money, or whether it's something that requires constant $ and maintenance.  It sounds like there's some intial $, but reliability after that point is excellent.

I appreciate the info guys -- sorry for the thread hijack ;).

Gene

On Saturday, July 9, 2016 at 6:04:39 PM UTC-4, Bob Smith wrote:
Good observation and well said.
And Onepfoot is a wonderful resource. Hope it's doing well and sticks around.

Cheers, Bob Smith

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 9, 2016, at 5:56 PM, danflyfish <danfl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I rarely post anywhere online, but I thought I might here and in this instance. (I'm also still a T-P FFF member from my days of working in DC and enjoy following this discussion board.)
>
> Value is an interesting question regarding any piece of tackle, but when I was purchasing One-Pfoot from Bill Franke several years ago he made an observation that I still find just as interesting:  He said that after upgrading reels for nearly 33 years, he'd never seen one for sale on the open market.  He interpreted this as a sign--and I think rightly so--that people who purchased his reels particularly valued them. Moreover, I haven't seen any for sale since I bought the business and haven't seen, of heard of, any of the ones I've upgraded being for sale either.
>
> I have a 1498 that's been upgraded with parts machine by Herman Boss, Bill Franke and I.  With it I've landed over 400 bonefish, three permit, four tarpon, over fifty peacock bass, and a lot of close-to-home steelhead, among other species.  My favorite 1494 has been an equally good companion.
>
> Well, enough said.  I enjoy the list and always enjoy seeing or reading about anglers using vintage tackle.
>
> Dan Hill
> onepfoot.com
> Erie, PA

> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Bob Smith

Jul 10, 2016, 9:06:09 AM7/10/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Don't think this is a hijack but an expansion.

Old reels can be had for insanely great prices if you're patient, lucky or catch a mislabeled auction. I just picked up a mint brass #60 skeleton fly reel with perfect paint in its original almost perfect box for $12.00. The title of the auction had "no name" in it. I was the only bidder. I've seen skeleton reels that look like they've been dragged behind a truck get 10-20 bids...

You can get 1494, 1494-1/2 and 1495 Medalists (best size for 5wt to 8wt rods)  in working condition for $25.00 to $100.00 all the time and you generally don't need to do anything to them but fish them for the rest of your life. They are that well made any tough.

 There are also many Medalist clones made by Shakespeare, South Bend, Sears etc plus other makers like Young and Walker that are great click & pawl reels. And for a majority of fresh water fishing click & pawl is fine.

Your 7' 6wt, a great rod I also have, needs a 1492-1/2. Same line capacity as a 1494 but would look better visually. That's important from a style angle right :-) ?

Sent from my iPad
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com.

Shawn

Jul 15, 2016, 8:34:35 AM7/15/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thank you for all of the feedback, guys! I'll bring them to the next beer tie (August) as I had to ship them here from OR with a few other things (including an old wicker creel basket that I need a new strap for). I enjoy older (working) gear and this is mainly for kicks and giggles to try out and like I said initially, they'll more than likely spend their retirement on the mantel next to a few old decoys.

Shawn

Carl Z.

Aug 21, 2016, 3:19:02 PM8/21/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Bob,

Drop me an email.  I just got a box full of "heavy metal".  A nice birdcage automatic (sears branded, Martin) as well as some other Automatics that I don't have time or desire to rebuild.  The interesting reel of the batch was a Wright and McGill Fre-Line closed face spinning reel from the 50's that mounts like a fly reel, since in that era people did both with the same rod.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 9:55 PM, 'Bob Smith' via Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Bring the Pemco to the next Beer Tie and I can take a look at it for you. I collect these things and can even take them apart without blowing up the winding spring/ratchet mechanism.

The Pemco is the economy line of the Perrine automatic fly reels. Mostly a matter of cosmetics. If you ever use it you have to take some precautions. It's really easy to hit the trigger and retrieve the line so quickly it jams or catches on a tip top or guide and KAPOW BLAM KABOOM goes a rod tip or section. Aside from that they're fun to use.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

http://www.tpfr.org