Tennessee Rivers

abbie mcmullen

Nov 7, 2017, 7:45:22 AM11/7/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi all! I'm thinking of doing a trip in Feb/Jan. Through a little research I've become interested in some TN waters. Has anyone ever fished the South Holston or Watauga? Any other suggested would be appreciated!

ALarge

Nov 7, 2017, 9:39:37 AM11/7/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yes and both are spectacular rivers. TVA tailwaters are something special -especially when fished from a drift boat or raft. Make sure you understand the release schedules - TVA has an app for that.

South Holston River Fly Shop will set you up on either river, walking or wading. The Clinch, north of Knoxville is also a good float. (See attached photos of a pair of Clinch browns)

The Hiwassee River is another beautiful option if you're ok with driving a little further south towards Chattanooga. This time of year the rubber tube hatch has ended and you'll have the river nearly to yourself.
Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

abbie mcmullen

Nov 7, 2017, 12:14:24 PM11/7/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Wow, incredible fish! Which river is more wade friendly in your opinion? Are they still producing in January? On paper they look perfect for a winter trip!

Alex Large

Nov 7, 2017, 12:18:50 PM11/7/17
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
South Holston is most wadable, but also the most dependent on TVA release schedules.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Danny Barrett

Bob Richey

Nov 8, 2017, 8:52:23 AM11/8/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Of the two, I think I might like the Watauga a little better, but it's great to have two rives of that quality so close to each other.

Dan Kozel

Nov 8, 2017, 1:23:10 PM11/8/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My wife and I spent a long weekend down there and rented a really affordable fishing cabin right on the South Holston. We floated with Patrick Fulkrod (South Holston River Company) and were completely inundated with fish all day long. In the time it took me to take me to assemble my rod Patrick had my wife hooked up 4 times! I cannot recommend his services enough.

I am hoping to take my raft down there in 2018 to float. Would love to check out the Watuga and Hiwassee.

Brian Mullis

Nov 13, 2017, 12:21:32 PM11/13/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I learned to fly fish on the Holston after college at Chapel Hill Got to the point where I would skip NC freestones because the Holston is that much better.

I've fished it for the past ten years. Recommend the guides at Trophy Water. Plan a two day trip and fish with a guide on day one. I usually fish with a guide on my birthday each year for a full day float. Pressure is lighter in Jan Feb and the fish will eat. Spring Summer and Fall you really don't want to wade on the pretty weekends unless you're a first and last light type. Otherwise it's bring your own rock. And don't bother with the big holiday weekends.

When I started and the river was less popular I could book cabins the night before arriving (which is perfect bc that's when the TVA flows are posted). Now I have to book in advance and hope for good conditions!

I would post a photo or ten but cant figure that out.

Bob Richey

Nov 27, 2017, 9:17:50 AM11/27/17
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I just got back from fishing with Patrick and it was easily one of the best guided experiences I've ever had.  The fishing was great, the company was good and he's great at giving constructive inputs to up your game.