Are the General Systems Yearbooks (1956-) available online anywhere?

Rob Young

May 29, 2015, 5:17:12 PM5/29/15
to syss...@googlegroups.com
wikipedia page:

Seems like lots of treasure in these.

It looks like Volume I (1956) and Volume II (1957) were put online by the ISSS at one point, but are no longer available?

Curt McNamara

May 29, 2015, 5:33:14 PM5/29/15
to syss...@googlegroups.com
I have some of these (though not the early ones) and could be convinced to pass them on, given appropriate arrangements. There are also some SGSR conference proceedings available.

Please message privately if interested.

            Curt

http://www.scimaps.org/maps/map/map_of_complexity_sc_154/detail

--
The SysSciWG wiki is at https://sites.google.com/site/syssciwg/.

Contributions to the discussion are licensed by authors under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
---

Lenard Troncale

May 29, 2015, 5:55:12 PM5/29/15
to syss...@googlegroups.com, Jennifer Wilby
Dear Google Systems People:

I do not know of the digitizing of any of the General Systems Yearbooks. But there are at least 30 Volumes. The official Archive of the ISSS (International Society for the Systems Sciences, formerly the International Society for General Systems Research) is kept by the Special Collections Branch of the California State Polytechnic University Library at the address listed below. It has all 30 volumes. It also has most of the ISSS Quarterly Bulletins and Annual Proceedings. It also has many videotapes and recordings of systems authorities from Nobel Laureates to founders. Qualified scholars are welcome to visit the Archive and investigate these holdings. However, the holdings are not digitized.

The current VP of ISSS, Jennifer Wilby, has expressed interest in digitizing this whole collection. if you are interested in supporting this move please contact her at:
Jennifer Wilby <issso...@dsl.pipex.com>

Len

P.S. I believe the recent Yearbooks have become special issues of the journal Systems Research and Behavioral Science. If so, and Jennifer knows, these would be available on line.

Dr. Len Troncale
Professor Emeritus and Past Chair
Dept. of Biological Sciences,
Founding Director Emeritus, Inst. for Advanced Systems Studies,
Lecturer, Master in Systems Engineering
California State Polytechnic University
3801 W. Temple Ave.
Pomona, California 91768
Office: (94-290) 909-869-2045

Rob Young

May 31, 2015, 8:25:20 AM5/31/15
to syss...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the replies.

If there is a UK archive of ISSS\ SGSR yearbooks I'd be grateful if you could let me know?

It looks like the ISSS digitized Vol I 1 (1956) and Vol II (1957) on the web,
but these pages have been moved and have broken links, and are not referenced on the main ISSS projects page.

Some of the source PDFs:

I have contacted Jennifer Wilby to ask if we can get an update on any project\ plans to digitize the General Systems Yearbooks.

Lenard Troncale

May 31, 2015, 10:29:18 AM5/31/15
to syss...@googlegroups.com, Jennifer Wilby, Jennifer Wilby
The main person to talk to about the UK holdings for ISSS is your own Jennifer Wilby at University of Hull. She has been essentially the Managing Director and chief operating officer of the society for many years. She would know the definitive answer to your questions. You can reach her at either of the above addresses. Here attached is my humble list of introductory texts on systems theory and all of its fragmented forms. The Yearbooks are indeed an historical treasure, but much has happened since. When I was Managing Director of the ISSS I started this list because I was always asked what is the single best source of introductory material on the this emerging discipline. As you can see from the list, there are many partial introductory sources for its different, unintegrated domains. Let me know if the list is helpful to you even if I must warn you it is very incomplete. I will fill it out someday when time allows. thank you for your interest.

Len

Dr. Len Troncale
Past ISSS President (1990)
Professor Emeritus and Past Chair
Dept. of Biological Sciences,
Founding Director Emeritus, Inst. for Advanced Systems Studies,
Lecturer, Master in Systems Engineering
California State Polytechnic University
3801 W. Temple Ave.
Pomona, California 91768
Office: (94-290) 909-869-2045

Intro SysSci Text List.docx

isssoffice

Jun 10, 2015, 4:30:58 PM6/10/15
to Lenard Troncale, syss...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I will respond in the list discussion as soon as home in next day, been overseas for past 10 days sorry.

There is plan this early summer to scan all Yearbooks and paper proceedings held by the office and to get these online on our current server. The broken links I have asked our webmaster to search for these docs to see if they are recoverable and then those links can be fixed on the iSSS site straight away. I know I have volume 1 of the yearbook on CDROM from Bela Banathy Jr several years ago. If we cannot find docs on the server we can reconstruct from that CD to begin with.

I will update more when back in the office.

Kind regards
Jennifer