GSoD Announcement

Rohit Goswami

Nov 5, 2020, 2:11:21 AM11/5/20
to symengine
Hello Symengine mailing list!
I'm working on updating the documentation, and Isuru pointed out that I have been remiss in not keeping the rest of the group up to speed.
Currently, I've been finalizing the basic layout in conjunction with:
  • Ondřej Čertík
  • Nikhil Maan
  • Amit Kumar
  • Aaron Meurer
They've been fantastic, and notes of the meetings will be on the Wiki soon for those interestested in more of the nitty-gritty details. I would now like to take feedback and suggestions from the rest of the user base.The current structure is as follows:
The sphinx generated docs were used instead of the default doxygen, for aesthetic purposes, and more importantly, to link the the API through intersphinx.

A couple of points I think everyone might weigh in on are:
  1. The issue regarding a logo
  2. Wiki article suggestions
Looking forward to hearing from everyone!
---
Rohit Goswami
University of Iceland

Isuru Fernando

Nov 5, 2020, 2:15:09 AM11/5/20
to symengine
Hi Rohit,

Thanks for the update. I have a few suggestions.

1. Why are we calling it a wiki? We already have a wiki at https://github.com/symengine/symengine/wiki where users contribute. Maybe call it just the symengine website just like sympy
2. Add a link to the API documentation from the main website
3. Instead of directly pushing to https://github.com/symengine/symengine.github.io/tree/src, can we please make PRs and do some reviews publicly?

Isuru Fernando

Rohit Goswami

Nov 5, 2020, 11:49:04 AM11/5/20
to syme...@googlegroups.com, Isuru Fernando

Hi Isuru

Good to hear the suggestions:

1. I actually want to propose removing the Wiki pages, I believe it makes more sense to direct people to open PRs (for the discussion you mentioned which would be beneficial)

        - I can migrate them if everyone agrees

        - The only difference is that by default author support is missing, but that is a relatively minor thing to include in the build

2. Excellent catch, will do

3. Sure, now that the base platforms are established, I can leave them up for a week before merging

---

Rohit

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "symengine" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/symengine/CA%2B01voN0O9g%2BZwN18yfOQN1kTho-7s1cT2ZPR0k6mBSivHVAHA%40mail.gmail.com.

Isuru Fernando

Nov 12, 2020, 11:10:29 AM11/12/20
to symengine
Hi Rohit,

That's not what a wiki is. A wiki is an unofficial knowledge base. Some articles in the wiki can be moved to the main website.
To me a wiki is always something unofficial and calling our website a wiki is not appropriate IMHO.

> I actually want to propose removing the Wiki pages

-1 for this

Isuru

Rohit Goswami

Nov 12, 2020, 11:19:03 AM11/12/20
to syme...@googlegroups.com
Hi Isuru,
I agree, after having gone through the wiki more carefully, and since Aaron explained the model being followed, I can see its mostly scratch and not long-term useful content.
I would like to move some parts of it though. I will have PRs for each addition and will delete them off the wiki when they're accepted.

However, what would be a good name then?
---
Rohit

Isuru Fernando

Nov 12, 2020, 11:24:47 AM11/12/20
to symengine
Hi Rohit,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 10:19 AM Rohit Goswami <r95...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Isuru,
I agree, after having gone through the wiki more carefully, and since Aaron explained the model being followed, I can see its mostly scratch and not long-term useful content.
I would like to move some parts of it though. I will have PRs for each addition and will delete them off the wiki when they're accepted.

Thanks. Please don't delete them as the history can be useful. Once they are moved we can add a link to the webpage at the top