STS benchmark, official announcement

Eneko

Jun 30, 2017, 4:36:34 AM6/30/17
to STS SemEval

Dear all,

please find below the official announcement of STS benchmark. Thanks to all of you for your assistance.

Incidentally, the page includes a link to the temporary url of the task paper.

best

eneko

-------------

Dear colleagues,

We are glad to release the Semantic Textual Similarity benchmark.

STS Benchmark comprises a selection of the English datasets used in the STS tasks organized in the context of SemEval between 2012 and 2017. The selection of datasets include text from image captions, news headlines and user forums.

The main goal is to provide a standard benchmark to compare among meaning representation systems in future years. Previously, several authors have reported results across different years, with a different mixture of genres and training conditions.

We organized STS benchmark into train, development and test. The development part can be used to develop and tune hyperparameters of the systems, and the test part should be only used once for the final system.

We already have results for some relevant systems. Please find all details in http://ixa2.si.ehu.es/stswiki/index.php/STSbenchmark

best

eneko, dan, mona

AL-NATSHEH Hussein

Jul 2, 2017, 4:55:09 AM7/2/17
to sts-s...@googlegroups.com
Dear Eneko,

I have sent our system results on May17 as in the below email but I could not see our system reported in the benchmark results table. Could you please double check and let us know if there is anything extra should we provide? Thanks.

Jul 6, 2017, 10:52:12 PM7/6/17
to STS SemEval, Hussein.A...@ish-lyon.cnrs.fr
Hi Hussein,

You probably already got a reply off list, but it looks like the STS Benchmark wiki was updated to include the UdL results under Feature engineered and mixed systems.

Dan
To unsubscribe, send email to sts-semeval+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "STS SemEval" group.

AL-NATSHEH Hussein

Jul 6, 2017, 11:52:06 PM7/6/17
to Daniel Cer, STS SemEval
Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot. I can see our system reported in the wiki page. However, Could you please include our system benchmark result in Table 14 in the workshop paper (http://nlp.arizona.edu/SemEval-2017/pdf/SemEval001.pdf )?

Thanks a lot,
Hussein

Jul 7, 2017, 12:09:41 PM7/7/17
to AL-NATSHEH Hussein, STS SemEval
Hi Hussein,

I'll update the paper to include your STS benchmark numbers.

We'll be posting a version of the paper to arxiv, so the numbers can certainly be included there. We should also be able to update the version hosted at nlp.arizona.edu. I'm in the process of asking whether we can still update the ACL anthology version before the workshop. After the workshop, there's a good process for updating papers.

Dan

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "STS SemEval" group.

Ergun Bicici

Jul 7, 2017, 12:54:55 PM7/7/17
to sts-s...@googlegroups.com, AL-NATSHEH Hussein

Updates for papers in ACL anthology were done with a versioning system; so you have your version 1 and then version 2.

Maybe we'll see a new section next year for the STS task if the task is organized again. However, STS does not appear as a task in SemEval-2018 for now:

Best Regards,
Ergun

Ergun Biçici

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 7:09 PM, 'Daniel Cer' via STS SemEval <sts-s...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi Hussein,

I'll update the paper to include your STS benchmark numbers.

We'll be posting a version of the paper to arxiv, so the numbers can certainly be included there. We should also be able to update the version hosted at nlp.arizona.edu. I'm in the process of asking whether we can still update the ACL anthology version before the workshop. After the workshop, there's a good process for updating papers.

Dan

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "STS SemEval" group.

Website of task, http://alt.qcri.org/semeval2017/task1/

Ergun Bicici

Jul 9, 2017, 4:43:39 AM7/9/17
to sts-s...@googlegroups.com

Dear Eneko,

I am sending RTM's results on the test set:
                     r       MAE     RAE     MAER    MRAER
RTM mix weight 4  0.7061   0.8534   0.6524   0.5343   0.6876

​on the training set (10-fold cross-validation on the training and dev set combined, so not on the dev set and therefore different):​

                     r       MAE     RAE     MAER    MRAER
RTM mix weight 4
​    ​
0.7319   0.7833   0.6188   0.4575   0.6847

where r is Pearson's correlation. RTM results are based on [1], which adds additional features to [2] and uses mix weight model introduced in [2].
Sentence representation: Other
supervision: Train

​Compared with other STS results with MRAER < 1, ​RTM on STS benchmark obtained the best results for non-specific domain (ALL):​
Inline image 2

​Thank you again for preparing the STS benchmark dataset.​

Best Regards,
Ergun

Ergun Biçici

[2] Ergun Biçici. RTM at SemEval-2017 Task 1: Referential Translation Machines for Predicting Semantic Similarity. In Proc. of the 11th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation (SemEval-2017), Vancouver, Canada, pages 194-198, August 2017. Association for Computational Linguistics. [PDF] [Abstract] [bibtex-entry]

Daniel Cer

Jul 12, 2017, 2:51:31 AM7/12/17
to sts-s...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ergun. Do you want the RTM numbers put in Table 14 of the task description paper?

Dan

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "STS SemEval" group.

Website of task, http://alt.qcri.org/semeval2017/task1/

Website of task, http://alt.qcri.org/semeval2017/task1/

Ergun Bicici

Jul 12, 2017, 3:45:42 AM7/12/17
to sts-s...@googlegroups.com

Yes, if you can; thank you.

Best Regards,
Ergun

Ergun Biçici

Dan

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "STS SemEval" group.

Website of task, http://alt.qcri.org/semeval2017/task1/

Website of task, http://alt.qcri.org/semeval2017/task1/

Website of task, http://alt.qcri.org/semeval2017/task1/

tienh...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2017, 4:36:25 AM9/8/17
to STS SemEval
Dear enoko,
I found a mistake in the dataset statistic table. It should be:
               train  dev test total
       -----------------------------
       news     3299  500  500  4299
       caption  2000  625  625  3250
       forum     450  375  254  1079
       -----------------------------
       total    5749 1500 1379  8628

Vào 17:36:34 UTC+9 Thứ Sáu, ngày 30 tháng 6 năm 2017, Eneko đã viết:

Eneko Agirre

Sep 8, 2017, 4:37:35 AM9/8/17
to sts-s...@googlegroups.com, tienh...@gmail.com

thanks for spotting it, corrected!