a few things variational

Alp Kucukelbir

Apr 22, 2015, 2:04:02 PM4/22/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
hi all,

a few questions:

1. any update on the advi pull request? anything i can help with?

2. did we figure out what to do with documentation that doesn't fit into the manual? (e.g. see attached; these are helpful to understand the advi model-based tests.)

3. on the topic of documentation, here's what i had in mind: a very brief explanation of variational inference and advi in the manual + the interface details in the cmdstan manual. sound good?

4. is there any code for EP in Stan at this point? i'm genuinely interested in studying fullrank advi v. gaussian EP.

cheers
alp
testing_advi.pdf

Daniel Lee

Apr 22, 2015, 2:09:48 PM4/22/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, a bunch of us are putting some time into a grant with a deadline this week.

Aki has some EP code: https://github.com/gelman/ep-stan
I started working on a native implementation using the C++ api, but that didn't go very far.

Daniel

alp

Michael Betancourt

Apr 22, 2015, 2:38:26 PM4/22/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com

Ido Rosen

Apr 22, 2015, 2:55:24 PM4/22/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Should I be able to see that repo?  It's 404ing for me.

Alp Kucukelbir

Apr 22, 2015, 3:55:50 PM4/22/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
@dan: ok no worries. thanks for the pointer; i'll take a look.