How to use Julia in Spyder?

Андрей Логунов

Oct 10, 2016, 12:57:15 PM10/10/16
to spyder
In other words, how to connect to the existing kernel for Julia or other languages?
How to specify kernel json in Windows and Linux (Fedora 24)?

Carlos Córdoba

Oct 10, 2016, 3:53:39 PM10/10/16
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Currently this is not possible because Spyder is hardwired to work only with Python kernels. However, we're working to decouple this and allow other kernels and languages in Spyder 4.0

Cheers,
Carlos

El 10/10/16 a las 06:33, Андрей Логунов escribió:
In other words, how to connect to the existing kernel for Julia or other languages?
How to specify kernel json in Windows and Linux (Fedora 24)?

Андрей Логунов

Oct 12, 2016, 11:44:45 AM10/12/16
to spyder
Hi, Carlos,

There's one more here. showturtle() command shuts Spyder down with the following messages:

Python 3.5.2 (v3.5.2:4def2a2901a5, Jun 25 2016, 22:18:55) [MSC v.1900 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
>>> from turtle import *
>>> showturtle()
>>> Fatal Python error: PyEval_RestoreThread: NULL tstate

Thread 0x00001c88 (most recent call first):
  File "c:\python35\lib\site-packages\spyder\utils\bsdsocket.py", line 64 in read_packet
  File "c:\python35\lib\site-packages\spyder\widgets\externalshell\monitor.py", line 453 in run
  File "c:\python35\lib\threading.py", line 914 in _bootstrap_inner
  File "c:\python35\lib\threading.py", line 882 in _bootstrap

  File "c:\python35\lib\site-packages\spyder\utils\site\sitecustomize.py", line 335 in qt_nt_inputhook

In this respect here is a question regarding IDLE. Is there an abridged version of Spyper - just a console + editor + a primitive menu,
a sort of Spyder Python IDLE with the ability to use Turtle graphics engine for educational purposes. Or to put it differently, how can i compile my IDLE out of your source, if any?

Gonzalo Peña-Castellanos

Oct 12, 2016, 5:18:31 PM10/12/16
to spyder
Hi Андрей

As Carlos said, part of the big spyder refactor currently going on (planned for Spyder 4.0) will enable handling multiple languages with the ipython console, plus notebook support.

We will start with Julia and R, and develop them as plugins, but we are in need of active Julia/R users that can take care of the plugin, as we need to focus our energies on Spyder (and python). Interested :-) ?

Cheers,

Андрей Логунов

Oct 12, 2016, 5:53:21 PM10/12/16
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
I'm a freelancer with the programming & tech background translating computer books into Russian. If that suits you, I could take a go at it as long as you show/explain me what would be my line of activity.

Gonzalo Peña-Castellanos

Oct 12, 2016, 6:05:24 PM10/12/16
to spyder

Whats your github handle :-p ?