Linux version of TPP

Kamal Mandal

Nov 15, 2018, 10:02:04 PM11/15/18
to spctools-discuss
Hello,
Can anybody help me with the link for downloading the linux version of TPP.
The available recipe of installation doesn't work for me since I cannot use "sudo" in our cluster. I can install it only in my own space.

-Kamal

Eric Deutsch

Nov 16, 2018, 12:07:43 AM11/16/18
to spctools...@googlegroups.com, Eric Deutsch

Hi Kamal, I’m not certain what would be best, but suppose you just install the TPP in your own area under your username. So, based on the instructions here:

http://tools.proteomecenter.org/wiki/index.php?title=TPP_5.2.0:_Installing_on_Ubuntu_18.04_LTS

You could install TPP in a space off your home directory and then use it that way on the cluster. Maybe something like this:

Assume your home directory is /home/kmandal, you could try something like this:

cd /home/kmandal

mkdir tpp svn data

cd svn

svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/sashimi/code/trunk/trans_proteomic_pipeline

echo "INSTALL_DIR = /users/kmandal/tpp" > site.mk

echo "TPP_DATADIR = /users/kmandal/data" >> site.mk

make all

make install

If that all works, then the TPP executables are all in /users/kmandal/tpp/bin

The possible snag is that you still need to have the equivalents of these requirements installed on your machine to compile it:

sudo apt --yes install subversion

sudo apt --yes install build-essential

sudo apt --yes install perl

sudo apt --yes install zlib1g-dev

sudo apt --yes install libghc-bzlib-dev

sudo apt --yes install gnuplot

sudo apt --yes install unzip

sudo apt --yes install expat

sudo apt --yes install libexpat1-dev

Maybe your machine has all these already, or maybe not. Do you have a sys administrator that you can ask to install those components?

What version of Linux is your cluster running, do you know?

Regards,

Eric

Kamal Mandal

Nov 16, 2018, 12:44:25 AM11/16/18
to spctools...@googlegroups.com, edeu...@systemsbiology.org
HI Eric,
Thanks a lot for your quick response. Actually I tried this way but didn't work. I am not very much expert in computation,  but it looks like "svn" command is not working in our cluster. I thought if I download the entire package, that might help.
Can you suggest some way out of it? Here is the specification of our cluster - "CentOS Linux 7 (Core)"

-Kamal

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "spctools-discuss" group.

Kamal Mandal, M.Tech
Research Scholar
National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi
Aruna Asaf Ali Marg
New Delhi - 110067
India

Contact no. :- +91- 9560445356

Eric Deutsch

Nov 16, 2018, 2:19:31 AM11/16/18
to Kamal Mandal, spctools...@googlegroups.com, Eric Deutsch

Hi Kamal, I can post a tarball of the latest code if you’d like to download that and try compiling it. However, there are a substantial number of other requirements. I just launched a fresh CentOS 7.5 node and tried to compile TPP. I found the following dependencies needed to be installed before it would work nicely:

sudo yum -y install subversion

sudo yum -y groupinstall 'Development Tools'

sudo yum -y install gnuplot

sudo yum -y install gd-devel

sudo yum -y install libzip-devel

sudo yum -y install bzip2-devel

sudo yum -y install libstdc++-static

sudo yum -y install glibc-static

sudo yum -y install perl-devel

If you have someone you can ask to install those, then you should be able to build TPP. If you cannot ask anyone to install such things for you, then this may be difficult.

Is there Docker available on your machine/cluster? That would make it easier.

Regards,

Eric

Kamal Mandal

Nov 16, 2018, 2:29:02 AM11/16/18
to Eric Deutsch, spctools...@googlegroups.com
Eric,
I would like to get the tarball of TPP. That might help. I can ask our administrator to install these dependencies.
Regarding docker- I tried "docker --version", it said "command not found".

Thanks,

-Kamal

Kamal Mandal

Nov 18, 2018, 2:30:59 AM11/18/18
to Eric Deutsch, spctools...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,
I managed to get svn. Though I had to use "http://svn.code.sf.net" instead of "svn://svn.code.sf.net". I don't know if that makes any difference.
However, I am getting an error while compiling - "make all".
Please find the attached file containing the error message.
Please suggest the needful.

-Kamal
TPP_error.docx

Eric Deutsch

Nov 19, 2018, 1:46:57 AM11/19/18
to Kamal Mandal, spctools...@googlegroups.com, Eric Deutsch

Hi Kamal, glad you got subversion working. Odd that  svn:// did not work but http did, but that’s fine, they are equivalent for this purpose.

The error messages in your attachment look like what you would get this these yums were not run:

sudo yum -y install libstdc++-static

sudo yum -y install glibc-static

You probably need all of the packages I listed in the previous message downthread. Can you check to see if those were installed?

Thanks,

Kamal Mandal

Nov 19, 2018, 12:27:04 PM11/19/18
to Eric Deutsch, spctools...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,
I heard the following reply from our system administrator. Can you please go through it and suggest me some alternative.

"I would recommend not installing the static versions of libstdc++ and glibc and fixing the "Trans-Proteomics Pipeline" to use the shared versions.  If only because the shared versions are maintained by us, the wynton administrators.  If the pipeline is statically linked, then it should be recompiled/relinked everytime the system is updated.  There can be a speed advantage with static linking, but without a benchmark showing a big advantage, it's not worth the maintenance headache."

-Kamal

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 10:50 PM Kamal Mandal <kama...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks a lot Eric. I will check that with the administrator and let you know.

-Kamal

Eric Deutsch

Nov 19, 2018, 12:45:59 PM11/19/18
to Kamal Mandal, spctools...@googlegroups.com, Eric Deutsch

Hi Kamal, you could try downloading and trying to run these binaries compiled under CentOS 7.5:

cd ~

wget http://www.tppms.org/sw/TPP5.2RC4/tppUsrLocalTpp-CentOS7.5.tgz

tar -zxf tppUsrLocalTpp-CentOS7.5.tgz

(this will create a tpp/ directory with the TPP programs in it. Test it with the following)

tpp/bin/comet -p

tpp/bin/xinteract

See if that works for you. The `comet` command will run and create a comet.params.new file in the current working directory. The xinteract will generate a usage statement.

Kamal Mandal

Nov 19, 2018, 1:37:45 PM11/19/18
to Eric Deutsch, spctools...@googlegroups.com
Looks like its working. But I have to either add all the executable files as global aliases or I have to use complete address all the time. Anyway, its better than not having tpp at all.
Can you suggest any better to handle it?

-Kamal

Eric Deutsch

Nov 19, 2018, 1:41:48 PM11/19/18
to Kamal Mandal, spctools...@googlegroups.com, Eric Deutsch

If I understand your question correctly, just add the TPP bin directory to your PATH, so with bash:

export PATH=$HOME/tpp/bin:$PATH

now you can just do:

xinteract

Is that what you mean?