About getting a stronger community regarding Ruby web development without Rails

Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas

May 11, 2017, 1:52:41 PM5/11/17
to sinatrarb
Hi, this is my first post here, please excuse me if this is not the proper place for a question like that.

Last week I wrote an article explaining that I currently kind of feel alone in the Ruby community when trying to create and maintain Ruby web applications that doesn't monkey patch Ruby core classes, which you can read here if you are curious, but it's not important to read it to understand what I'm talking about:

I had mentioned the "mail" gem in that article and after I published it it seems that those monkey patches were gone last week so that the next release should be monkey patch free:

But there are still other popular gems that would still monkey patch core Ruby classes, such as sidekiq for example.

After writing that article, I got surprised with quite some responses from other people that seem to share the same mindset. So, I decided to check on whether there would be interest for such people to discuss web development with Ruby with such mindset.

It could be some Google Group or some other tool that would allow us to exchange experience on how to achive common goals when you're not developing Rails applications for example. Things like integrating with NewRelic and other monitoring tools, or monkey patch free background jobs libraries, or monkey patches, static resources (assets) management, automatic code reloading, and many other topics that are probably of common interest for such people regardless of which web framework/library they chose.

I first talked to Luca from Hanami and he seemed interested in such group. Then I talked to Jeremy and others from the Roda community and it seems there would be interest from them as well. I had just sent about the same invite message to the Padrino group as well:

Now I'm asking here on whether there would be interest from Sinatra users to participate in such group. It would be mostly a discussions group only where we can share experiences and maybe coordenate some sort of documentation for those willing to move an existing application to another stack with such a mindset. Things like techniques to migrate from Rails to another framework, running both at the same time during the transition, sharing sessions and so on among many other interesting topics.

It would allow all of those smaller communities to grow together and get stronger by focus on the things we all have in common.

My plan is to create some temporary Google Group if I find enough interest on the subject and then we could discuss how exactly this would work, like which communication tool such community would be interested in (Google Group? something like Discourse?).

Please let me know if you would be interested in participating in such discussions and which  tools you'd prefer to use in that case.

Best,
Rodrigo.

Keith Bennett

May 11, 2017, 2:21:52 PM5/11/17
to sina...@googlegroups.com
Rodrigo -

Great idea!

As a Rubyist whose work is mostly not web development at all, a big pet peeve of mine is that Ruby is underrecognized and underappreciated as an outstanding general purpose  programming language.  So I'd go even further to include non-web software, though perhaps not in your new discussion group.

I often introduce myself as a "Ruby not Rails" developer. ;)

- Keith

Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas

May 11, 2017, 4:16:31 PM5/11/17
to sinatrarb, keithr...@gmail.com
Hi Keith, thanks for your interest.

I totally understand where you are coming from. As long as you share about the same mindset, I think you could benefit from such mailing list as well.

Web applications will often be concerned with some topics which wouldn't probably apply to non web Ruby applications. Things like websockets, static resources management and integrating with NewRelic to give you some examples.

However, even non web Ruby applications may need a jobs processor, or automatic code reloading or some library to generate PDF and so on. So, as long as you don't care about getting discussions over topics you don't care about, you would be welcomed to participate of course. Since you are already participating in this Sinatra group, I'd guess it wouldn't be a problem for you ;)

Best,
Rodrigo.

BeeRich

May 11, 2017, 5:10:22 PM5/11/17
to sina...@googlegroups.com
A google group and a wiki somewhere to add aspects of implementation. And of course, Sinatra.

> On May 11, 2017, at 1:49 PM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas <rr.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Please let me know if you would be interested in participating in such discussions and which tools you'd prefer to use in that case.

Cheers
bee...@gmail.com

BeeRich33

May 11, 2017, 5:10:35 PM5/11/17
to sinatrarb, keithr...@gmail.com
Great reply.  "Ruby not Rails".  Hah.

The scope of Ruby is massive.  I often add -Rails in teh Google.

Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas

May 12, 2017, 10:06:51 AM5/12/17
to sina...@googlegroups.com, keithr...@gmail.com
Hi, that's great :)

Please subscribe to this temporary Google Group I created so that we could concentrate this discussion in a single place until we find a definitive home for it:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/respectful-ruby

Cheers,
Rodrigo.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "sinatrarb" group.