Is Chaos Gorilla available?

Antony Brooke-Wood

Aug 13, 2015, 12:13:10 AM8/13/15
to Simian Army Users
I'm looking to simulate an outage of an entire availability zone and Chaos Gorilla looks perfect, but I can't seem to find it in the Github repo.
Was it ever released? If so, where is it?
If not, does anyone have any other suggestions for simulating an AZ outage?
Thanks in advance.

Nir Alfasi

Aug 13, 2015, 12:46:18 AM8/13/15
to Simian Army Users
Chaos Gorilla was never open sourced.
:)

Antony Brooke-Wood

Aug 13, 2015, 12:48:07 AM8/13/15
to simianar...@googlegroups.com
I thought so. Do you have any insight into how it worked? Or any other
suggestions on how to simulate an AZ outage?
Regards,

Antony Brooke-Wood
Mobile: +61 404 460 326
> Google Groups "Simian Army Users" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/simianarmy-users/sK2XkKpPyxs/unsubscribe.

Nir Alfasi

Aug 13, 2015, 2:23:17 AM8/13/15
to simianar...@googlegroups.com
We stopped practicing AZ outages about two years ago, which was a bit before I joined Netflix so I don't have much context about it.

The only thing I *can* say about it is that we stopped practicing it due to two reasons:
1. likelihood for a zone outage is relatively small
2. we're practicing Chaos-Kong (region outage) almost every month

As for creating a zone outage, there are probably multiple ways to do it, assuming you're working with AWS, you can disable availability-zones in the load-balancer.

Regards,
Nir

Antony Brooke-Wood

Aug 13, 2015, 2:49:22 AM8/13/15
to simianar...@googlegroups.com
Awesome ;)

If I released Chaos-Kong, the whole business would stop!

Thanks for the feedback and happy to tell you that I am more than a
little envious.
Regards,

Antony Brooke-Wood
Mobile: +61 404 460 326