Does SilverDox Support PDF native format for viewer?

Support

Sep 14, 2011, 3:35:12 PM9/14/11
to silv...@googlegroups.com
Q:

We are evaluating products that have a native PDF viewer for Silverlight.
SilverDox documentation states that it fully supports PDF (ISO32000) but all sample demos are in XOD format.

Can you please clarify product viewer support?

------------

A:  SilverDox viewer takes as input a data stream (which is based on an open standard: Open XPS file - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_XML_Paper_Specification).

The preview stream can be generated using PDFNet SDK (http://www.pdftron.com/pdfnet/downloads.html) as shown in SilverDoxStreaming and SilverDoxConvert samples. The stream does not need to be written on disk although this could in many cases improve the performance.

PDF format is only one of formats supported by SilverDox Publisher (i.e. PDFNet SDK or DocPub CLI). For historical reasons, the use of PDF on the web was really an afterthought and there are many reasons why it is not an ideal Web format. SilverDox was designed from ground-up for web use and to eliminate many PDF weaknesses. For example, most PDFs on the web are not properly linearized and this feature never really delivered on its promise. In addition the whole scheme is still clouded with patent issues - with Adobe still specifically excluding patent right for 5,860,074 on their website: http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/support/topic_legal_notices.html. In addition reliable/accurate/efficient implementation for a fully compliant PDF support in browser is almost mutually exclusive and would not work in managed environments required for the next generation of web apps (Silverlight, Flash, or HTML5). There are also many other issues (such as corrupt or unoptimized files, press files with large images etc). For all of these reasons there are currently no non-native (i.e. plug-in) solutions that are fully compatible with ISO PDF, and this will not change anytime soon. So solutions claiming full PDF support (Silverlight, Flash, or HTML5) are simply misleading users.

Support

Dec 9, 2011, 2:49:11 PM12/9/11
to silv...@googlegroups.com
Q:  In my Ruby on Rails Project I want to use PDF NET Sdk

my application includes below function related to pdftron

1)upload Pdf File
2)Display Pdf File(pdftron::PDF::PDFViewCtrl)
3) select Specific area to remove (Annotation functionality)
4)extract meta data of pdf file
5)pdf Text Extraction functionality

In above for Annotation functionality I need to use pdftron::PDF::PDFViewCtrl but I am not find any sample code for that .

A: Please see the previous thread for more info. SilverDox (a.k.a. PDFTron WebViewer) can display PDF, XPS, Office and other formats. It also supports text selection, search, vector graphics, bookmarks & metadata, and built-in annotation support.

The WebViewer (for HTML5/Flash/Silverlight) works with XOD files (for more info please see https://groups.google.com/d/topic/silverdox/_rvQVSHQjSc/discussion).

To generate or stream XOD you could use PDFNet SDK on your own servers (as shown in SilverDoxConvert/Streaming sample).

In case you would like to offload the conversion part of the SilverDox system, we are about to release a simple to use and inexpensive REST conversion service. For more info, please contact info at pdftron.com.