OT: bike storage inside apartments...what have you used/liked/disliked?

Christine Ryan

Jan 11, 2017, 1:05:50 PM1/11/17
to SF2G, Matthew Hiller
It's research-for-a-story time again, and this time the topic is bike-storage solutions for inside an apartment (ie, a small space, not a massive loft!) for people who probably only have one bike, or at most two. Hard to believe, I know, but apparently the concept of n+1 hasn't reached as far as it should.

So, anyone have any thoughts they'd like to share on what you've tried and liked, or tried and had problems with? Given that we're talking inside an apartment, being able to lock your bike to the rack isn't one of the requirements. (Obviously, this isn't aimed specifically at people in SF, where you might actually want to do be able to do that.) However, saving space is... which is why I'm paging you, Matt—mind sharing this query with your fellow riders in NYC?

(I know this topic has come up in past threads, but there (iirc), it was often about garage options...)

Thanks!

C.

Darrin Ward

Jan 11, 2017, 1:09:20 PM1/11/17
to Christine Ryan, SF2G, Matthew Hiller
i use this
http://www.theknifeandsaw.com/KSItemDetail.php?PC=2&II=2

not the most practical or cheapest.

---

Ken Macinnis

Jan 11, 2017, 1:12:29 PM1/11/17
to dmw...@gmail.com, Christine Ryan, SF2G, Matthew Hiller
I'm jealous of friends with that shelf. They look super nice almost everywhere.

Tried a bunch of those towers and they were always ugly and took up more room than they saved. The floor rack is easy-in, easy-out, and very minimal space-wise past the bikes themselves.

Daniel Hobe

Jan 11, 2017, 1:54:46 PM1/11/17
to Ken MacInnis, Darrin Ward, Christine Ryan, SF2G, Matthew Hiller
This is what I did at my old condo:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPM_PuIubyhWhpzC8UNxlosYLDOZVZ8I2LuhrwNo1Noxy88fpDitOvVxp0ts2MiEw?key=TmxPaDFSLTF0TE1sM3p0SnVocEhkb2ktaGpadkh3

I used the Rubbermaid Fast Track system which you can find on Amazon
>> email to sf2g+uns...@googlegroups.com.
>

> --
> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
> ---
>

> --
> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
> ---

Daniel Hobe <ho...@gmail.com>

Darrin Ward

Jan 11, 2017, 1:55:52 PM1/11/17
to Daniel Hobe, Ken MacInnis, Christine Ryan, SF2G, Matthew Hiller
i also did a ghetto version of that in my last apartment based on hobe's suggestion and it worked really well.

> --
> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
> ---

> --
> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
> ---

Daniel Hobe <ho...@gmail.com>

Ryan Minobe

Zak Jarvis

Jan 11, 2017, 2:02:50 PM1/11/17
to dmw...@gmail.com, ken.ma...@gmail.com, Christine Ryan, Matthew Hiller, SF2G
When I was in the San Bruno apartment I just used a floor mat and one of those simple (cheap) wheel stand things.

Now that I'm in my house, I use one of these, which, ironically doesn't take up more room.

http://www.summitbicycles.com/m/product/delta-rugged-michelangelo-two-bike-storage-rack-255787-1.htm

The one benefit of the stand & mat was that it didn't need wall space, so my bike just went next to my computer desk.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 10:12 AM Ken Macinnis <ken.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Cordelia Link

Jan 11, 2017, 2:04:11 PM1/11/17
to SF2G, crya...@gmail.com, matthew...@gmail.com
Darrin: those are pretty but seem less useful if your bike suffers from sloping top tube disease (seems more common with women's bikes :p)

Darrin Ward

Jan 11, 2017, 2:05:38 PM1/11/17
to Cordelia Link, SF2G, Christine Ryan, Matthew Hiller
works perfectly fine for girlfriends bike but you know your mileage may vary.

Marcelo Vanzin

Jan 11, 2017, 2:20:11 PM1/11/17
to SF2G, matthew...@gmail.com
I have one of these: https://deltacycle.com/two-bike-gravity-storage-rack

(Maybe a different brand, but looks exactly the same.)

Isn't the prettiest, but works well for what I need. I used to have it in my room in a previous place, but I still use it now to save some space in the building's storage room.

Sam Uong

Jan 11, 2017, 2:26:47 PM1/11/17
to van...@cloudera.com, SF2G, matthew...@gmail.com
I avoided getting one of those "gravity racks", because the only place I could fit it was in our living room next to the sofa. Not sure if I'm being overly paranoid, but this is California and it just doesn't look like it'd hold up well in an earthquake. Having it in a storage room would probably be fine though.

Christine Ryan

Jan 11, 2017, 2:35:56 PM1/11/17
to Sam Uong, Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G, Matthew Hiller
(that's one of the ones I've been testing, Sam, and it does have a strap at the top that you're supposed to screw into the wall...so maybe a bit safer than it looks!)

---

Matthew Hiller

Jan 11, 2017, 2:36:03 PM1/11/17
to Sam Uong, van...@cloudera.com, SF2G
I've used a tension-mounted floor-to-ceiling aluminum rack for, what, 14 years now? Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00020BHSM/ref=twister_B003UWF71C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

[I think there are cheaper variants of it out there as well.]

Bungee cords help keep the bikes anchored in place too.

We had this already when we lived in California -- we had been keeping the bikes on floor level, but one of our cats managed to accidentally bring the bikes down on herself that way, so we decided a better solution was in order.

When we first moved to NYC and were in a studio, we only stored a single bike on it -- the other one we kept in the building bike room* -- but used the rack to loft that one bike above the couch.

Been pretty happy with it, yep.

* Living somewhere with a building bike room is also helpful. ;) Our current number for N+1 is 4 bikes (plus my original road bike, which lives at my parents' place); 2 of the bikes live in our apartment, the other 2 in the bike room.

Guilherme Germoglio

Jan 11, 2017, 4:08:05 PM1/11/17
to SF2G
minoura p-600al-5s seems nice.

Yuanyu Chen

Jan 11, 2017, 4:15:21 PM1/11/17
to germ...@gmail.com, SF2G
for the more DIY space-constrained folks: lofting your bed and stick your bikes underneath! you can stick 'em on hooks or top tube hangers or just lean them against the loft legs, and also build a desk or tons of storage space underneath :)

my estimate is that this takes about $200 of wood (assuming you have a chop saw and hand drill already) and a full day of work for 2 people.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 1:08 PM Guilherme Germoglio <germ...@gmail.com> wrote:
minoura p-600al-5s seems nice.

Patrick Kitto

Jan 11, 2017, 4:54:09 PM1/11/17
to dmw...@gmail.com, Christine Ryan, SF2G, Matthew Hiller
My father in-law built me something similar
image1.JPG

There used to be two bikes here on a freestanding rack but as you can see other priorities arose which required a re-org
image2.JPG

Patrick Kitto

Jan 11, 2017, 4:59:39 PM1/11/17
to dmw...@gmail.com, Christine Ryan, SF2G, Matthew Hiller
Second image didn't load:
image1.JPG

On Jan 11, 2017, at 13:54, Patrick Kitto <patric...@gmail.com> wrote:

My father in-law built me something similar
<image1.JPG>

There used to be two bikes here on a freestanding rack but as you can see other priorities arose which required a re-org

Ted Lesher_

Jan 11, 2017, 6:24:35 PM1/11/17
to SF2G, matthew...@gmail.com
+1 to the Michelangelo gravity bike rack. I've had it for over 2 years for my bike and my girlfriend's bike in our mini office type room and never had a problem. I am lazy and haven't clipped it to the wall. If there were an earthquake big enough to knock it over I would probably have larger problems... knock on wood!

Faye

Jan 11, 2017, 7:16:31 PM1/11/17
to SF2G, matthew...@gmail.com
Now where was this discussion when I moved to New Haven to a place where the landlord didn't want to let me even store the bike in my own apartment...
In Oakland, I just used a bike hook on the wall. Here, I was not allowed to drill into or otherwise alter walls, and for similar reasons I was concerned about any solution that would smudge walls. So I splurged and got this thing, which was expensive for me but has worked out very nicely:
I think ti is the same product that Guiga mentions. I like the vertical aspect and it is very stable and was easy to put together.

Patrick Lea

Jan 12, 2017, 11:18:48 AM1/12/17
to faye steiner, sf2g, matthew...@gmail.com
Had this in my old apartment.

It is not the smallest rack but it is near wall and free standing, which is good for those that cannot put homes in their walls. You can also put another bike leaned against the bottom bike for those with a n+1 situation.

Nat Futterman

Jan 12, 2017, 1:17:51 PM1/12/17
to SF2G, faye.s...@gmail.com, matthew...@gmail.com

I have three of these http://www.minoura.jp/english/storage/tower/p-600al-5s.html lined up along a wall to store 6.  I built a PVC bar above/across the top that sockets into the two on the ends to hang wheels from, too.  All told I've got 6 bikes and something like 12 (14? I forget) wheels in a space about 96" wide, one bikes' height deep (in my case that must be something like 30") and up to the (tall) ceiling high (much less sans the wheels of course though).

Here's a not particularly good photo of it not yet populated (and the room messy) but you get the idea:

Nat Futterman

Jan 12, 2017, 1:19:38 PM1/12/17
to SF2G, faye.s...@gmail.com, matthew...@gmail.com
Oops, sorry for the image ending up there twice.

Christine Ryan

Jan 12, 2017, 1:21:34 PM1/12/17
to nat.fu...@gmail.com, SF2G, faye.s...@gmail.com, Matthew Hiller
Thanks, everyone--lots of good info here!!

Guilherme Germoglio

Jan 13, 2017, 1:50:54 AM1/13/17
to SF2G
nice! now if only they sold these p-600al-5s in this country... :(

Nat Futterman

Jan 13, 2017, 2:54:44 PM1/13/17
to germ...@gmail.com, SF2G
Here, you mean? Amazon sells them, at least; that's where I got mine.  Not inexpensive, but worth it for the storage density I get without drilling, and they should continue to be useful almost anywhere (although the wheel rack I made depends both on high ceilings and having them lined up along a single wall like that).

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Guilherme Germoglio <germ...@gmail.com> wrote:
nice! now if only they sold these p-600al-5s in this country... :(
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SF2G" group.

Patrick Kitto

Jan 13, 2017, 3:43:44 PM1/13/17
to nat.fu...@gmail.com, germ...@gmail.com, SF2G
Guiga is in Zurich.

Those look super sweet, but drywall patching is way less expensive than one of those stands.

Is there a weight limit for those? I'd be curious how big god a bike could be on one side with out it toppling.

Nat Futterman

Jan 13, 2017, 3:58:04 PM1/13/17
to Patrick Kitto, germ...@gmail.com, SF2G
Ah, shows how little I've been following the comings and goings around here.

I forget what the nominal weight limit is (though I'm sure it's specified somewhere) but it doesn't feel unstable half-loaded with any of my bikes or anything like that.  Because the bike hangs straight down from the wheel it has less inclination to tip than you might expect; it's not hanging outward from something the way it would from a hook on the wall.

My disinclination to mess with my lath and plaster walls (and a landlord who is particular about keeping the well-preserved antique-ness of the building well-preserved) made these justifiable (to me), as well as the ease of dropping them in anywhere else I live, but YMMV. It's for sure a lot of money sunk into bike storage, but it was a pretty quick and neat (if itself not complete) solution to moving in with someone with around as many bikes as I already had.

Jeremy Yost

Jan 15, 2017, 10:13:24 AM1/15/17
to SF2G
CB2 has this one, which is similar to Kitto's and not as nice a Darrin's:

http://www.cb2.com/wood-bike-storage/s309683

Michael Spaulding

Jan 17, 2017, 7:49:47 PM1/17/17
to jerem...@gmail.com, SF2G
I have a clug which works quite well, although I don't trust it to actually hang my bike (I have it mounted low on the wall so I can click my rear wheel in and it holds the bike upright). https://getclug.com/

I also use the "gravity" rack which someone already mentioned here, although it looked a bit unstable with 2 bikes on it so I shortened it to one and put the clug next to it.

---

Jeremy Yost

May 24, 2017, 4:28:44 PM5/24/17
to SF2G, matthew...@gmail.com

Christine Ryan

May 24, 2017, 5:29:42 PM5/24/17
to jerem...@gmail.com, SF2G, Matthew Hiller
Yeah...they're cool looking, but many of them aren't available anymore. But good inspiration!

---

Ben Kraft

May 24, 2017, 6:45:53 PM5/24/17
to crya...@gmail.com, jerem...@gmail.com, SF2G, Matthew Hiller
Not really related, but if anyone else is looking, this DIY solution works surprisingly well:6287003014075056996?account_id=1
Brake lever next to the wall goes through one loop, the back of the saddle through the other. The bike barely barely touches the wall and it's made out of old climbing rope which is basically free.

---

Christine Ryan

May 24, 2017, 6:55:29 PM5/24/17
to Ben Kraft, jerem...@gmail.com, Matthew Hiller, SF2G