Fri. 4/17 - Middle East Bayway - 6:24 BART (16th/Mission) - Style 2.Fun

Beckett Madden-Woods

Apr 15, 2015, 8:56:45 PM4/15/15
to SF2G
Let's cap off the Spring Classics season in style with a Friday Middle East Bayway!

Middle East Bayway follows the levees along (and occasionally right in the middle of) the East Bay. Long stretches of mostly packed dirt and can be ridden just fine on standard road tires if you don't mind some loose gravel. A cx bike is also a good choice if you have one. I'll be on a road bike.

The 6:24 16th/Mission Fremont-bound BART arrives in San Leandro at 6:53.
6:22 24th/Mission. 6:30 Embarcadero. Rear car.

We will cross the Dumbarton, and then onward to our usual destinations.

This ride is *not* NRLB, but expect Friday Style 2.Fun pace, with just a sprinkle of efficiency. If you're in doubt, just come along!

Sample pics:

-Beckett

Alexandre Passos

Apr 15, 2015, 9:54:35 PM4/15/15
to Beckett Madden-Woods, SF2G
+1, always meant to do this

---

 - Alexandre

Marion Silies

Apr 15, 2015, 10:23:21 PM4/15/15
to alexan...@gmail.com, Beckett Madden-Woods, SF2G
+1

Thaaaank youuuu for calling this, Beckett!

matthew kenaston

Apr 15, 2015, 11:03:17 PM4/15/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

Blair Menn

Apr 16, 2015, 12:52:51 AM4/16/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 Yay! Love this ride.

Jumping on at Glen Park probably.

Jason Thorpe

Apr 16, 2015, 10:02:22 AM4/16/15
to bec...@beckettmw.com, SF2G
Gosh, I might just have to jump on this. Would also probably get on at Glen Park. I'll firm up my plus-oneness later today.

-- thorpej
Sent from my iPhone.
--
Message has been deleted

Scott Johnston

Apr 16, 2015, 1:42:14 PM4/16/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, bec...@beckettmw.com
+1 at Civic Center. Rolling to Stanford.

Any opinions on whether I should run 28mm slicks or 32mm fast rolling knobbies? Leaning towards the latter, just for increased fun, but not sure just how much dirt we're talking about.

-Scott

Peter Colijn

Apr 16, 2015, 1:45:42 PM4/16/15
to Scott Johnston, SF2G, Beckett Madden-Woods
I would definitely go with the slicks. Knobbies are pretty overkill for this. Most people will be on 23c road tires :)

Nathan Dushman

Apr 16, 2015, 1:59:25 PM4/16/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Disagree - go with the knobbies. You'll have to work a little hard on the paved stretches, but you'll have more fun on the gravel.

See https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sf2g/YIKp19wJ80w/6a5CFPlwzI4J
(can't believe that was 2 years ago! I remember that ride)

Nathan

Lina Mårtensson

Apr 16, 2015, 2:03:53 PM4/16/15
to Nathan Dushman, SF2G
What? I dis-disagree!

23s for sure! And I'm saying this from the perspective of this exact dirt having been the first roadie dirt I ever rode.

Besides, things tend to be more fun if you match the equipment with that of the other riders.

Scott Johnston

Apr 16, 2015, 2:07:53 PM4/16/15
to lina.ma...@gmail.com, Nathan Dushman, SF2G
Yeah, sounds like most people will be on skinnier slicks than mine, so I'll probably stick with the 28s. Thanks all!

-Scott

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SF2G" group.

Alexandre Passos

Apr 16, 2015, 2:16:57 PM4/16/15
to Scott Johnston, lina.ma...@gmail.com, Nathan Dushman, SF2G
I'm tempted to go on the cross bike, which is lighter and handles better than my road bike (specially on gravel, as I'm a slow turner on my 25 slicks even on pavement), but has annoying-to-change tubeless 35s on it. Is this a horrible idea, or will I be fine, if slow on pavement?
 - Alexandre

Mark Kahn

Apr 16, 2015, 2:22:26 PM4/16/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, wamp...@gmail.com, lina.ma...@gmail.com, n...@abtech.org
+0.5...will be on road bike and will get on in Daly City if i join

Nathan Dushman

Apr 16, 2015, 2:24:49 PM4/16/15
to Alexandre Passos, SF2G
Is the question, how annoying is it if you get a flat? Not any more annoying
than getting a flat anywhere else (actually, maybe less annoying, since at
least you get quiet and a nice view while you're fixing it). I haven't seen
an unusual number of flats on this route despite the dirt, but make sure
your tires are properly inflated to avoid pinch flats (if you're not running
tubeless).

If you can't fix a flat with the tubeless tires, then you're in for a long
walk if you do have a problem.

Nathan

Ted Ketai

Apr 16, 2015, 3:15:30 PM4/16/15
to Nathan Dushman, Alexandre Passos, SF2G
I think he's saying he doesn't want to change his tires out before the ride for road tires, because they're mounted tubeless now.

Alex, honestly I'd say if you're tempted to ride your CX bike now, you're likely to want to ride it more often with road tires on it. I'd just ditch the tubeless mounting and throw some tubes in for a while. I pretty much only run my CX bike tubeless when I'm actually racing CX and a flat ends your day. Otherwise it's nice to be able to change tires out quicky, which I do quite often.

Peter Chang

Apr 16, 2015, 3:34:02 PM4/16/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 11:16:57 AM UTC-7, Alexandre Passos wrote:
I'm tempted to go on the cross bike, which is lighter and handles better than my road bike (specially on gravel, as I'm a slow turner on my 25 slicks even on pavement), but has annoying-to-change tubeless 35s on it.

just swap wheels from your road bike to put the 25s on? it's not like the weight difference between the two is going to make a difference, but you'll be wearing out your knobs for no reason otehr than home-made-semi-slicks.

the run up to dumbarton used to be loose/rutted/crappy, but they brought out the grader (at least the last time i did it before the tainthammer or so) so it's smoother than some of the nominally paved bay area roads (mission, i'm looking at you). there's a little bit of pea gravel at the start, but it's all on the surface where it's just to annoy rather than cahnge traction in any way.

\p

Alexandre Passos

Apr 16, 2015, 3:40:26 PM4/16/15
to Peter Chang, SF2G
I tried swapping wheels with my road bike once but the difference in cassettes made it not work (11-28 sram on the cx bike, 11-32 shimano on the road bike) and I don't have the tools to change cassettes.

I think long term I'll go with Ted's advice and put tires with tubes on the cx bike for now (just sad that I just bought new tubeless tires for it since the ones from the previous owner were really worn out).

---

 - Alexandre

Nathan Dushman

Apr 16, 2015, 4:20:35 PM4/16/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 12:40:26 PM UTC-7, Alexandre Passos wrote:
I tried swapping wheels with my road bike once but the difference in cassettes made it not work (11-28 sram on the cx bike, 11-32 shimano on the road bike) and I don't have the tools to change cassettes.

Won't help for tomorrow, but it's worth getting the tools to swap a cassette. You need a chain whip and a lockring tool, shouldn't cost more than $30 for both, and they'll work for both Shimano and SRAM. You'll also need a wrench large enough to hold the lockring tool; a vice-grip pliers works fine if that's what you have with large enough jaws. Only takes a few minutes to swap a cassette, plus time to clean it while it's off.

Nathan

Ted Ketai

Apr 16, 2015, 4:25:19 PM4/16/15
to Nathan Dushman, sf...@googlegroups.com
Performance has a basic tool kit for like $50 that has all these tools plus a bunch of others you should have.

BTW, "tubeless ready" tires are generally not necessary and just add weight.

Hyan

Apr 16, 2015, 9:50:41 PM4/16/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+0.5 even though I'm scared of dirt @_@

Lina Mårtensson

Apr 16, 2015, 10:06:47 PM4/16/15
to Hyan Park, SF2G

Hyan, so was I before doing this ride! Eventually I realized it's the best thing ever. You should go, take it easy, don't worry about going faster than you're comfortable with. Over time you'll figure out the limits!

Mark Kahn

Apr 16, 2015, 10:36:04 PM4/16/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, hyan...@gmail.com
upgrading to full +1

Beckett Madden-Woods

Apr 16, 2015, 11:57:03 PM4/16/15
to Jason Thorpe, SF2G
On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 7:01 AM, Jason Thorpe <tho...@me.com> wrote:
Gosh, I might just have to jump on this. Would also probably get on at Glen Park. I'll firm up my plus-oneness later today.

Jason, first SF2G ride I met you on was a MEB almost 5 years ago... you on the Frankenbike (!), and the Christina Maria was still there.

Georgia Andrews

Apr 17, 2015, 12:19:37 AM4/17/15
to Beckett Madden-Woods, Jason Thorpe, SF2G
+1 unless I want to sleep more, then I'll get donuts with Russ.
--
Women Who Code San Francisco City Director

Stefan

Apr 17, 2015, 12:22:07 AM4/17/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 from SL Bart. Need to turn back at the bridge though.
Been off the bike for two weeks due to a cold, but will try to hang on.
Hyan, as Lina said, don't be nervous. It's a fun, beautiful ride that's really not too bad at all. Very doable on road bike.

-Stefan

Mehdi Ait Oufkir

Apr 17, 2015, 12:45:36 AM4/17/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+.8 if I get enough sleep.

ammon

Apr 17, 2015, 12:46:39 AM4/17/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 from San Bruno.

Been 5.5 years since I last rode this (with xton, Lobree, Crosby, and Trinh!).

Ammon

Shane

Apr 17, 2015, 1:30:20 AM4/17/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 @ Mission.
First time rider so hopefully no one minds the n00b.

Jason Thorpe

Apr 17, 2015, 1:39:49 AM4/17/15
to bec...@beckettmw.com, SF2G
Hah! Yes! We did the long version starting in West Oakland, right?

-- thorpej
Sent from my iPhone.

Mark Kahn

Apr 17, 2015, 9:14:09 AM4/17/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Ammon and I are on Bart in DC...last car, 5 car train

Georgia Andrews

Apr 17, 2015, 9:26:37 AM4/17/15
to Mark Kahn, sf...@googlegroups.com
-1

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 6:14 AM, Mark Kahn <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:
Ammon and I are on Bart in DC...last car, 5 car train
---

Jason Terk

Apr 17, 2015, 9:28:45 AM4/17/15
to mark....@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
+1

> On Apr 17, 2015, at 6:14 AM, Mark Kahn <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ammon and I are on Bart in DC...last car, 5 car train

Nathan Dushman

Apr 17, 2015, 9:35:47 AM4/17/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to turn on my alarm clock. I'll be one BART back. I know the way, will chase.

Nathan

Beckett Madden-Woods

Apr 17, 2015, 9:37:56 AM4/17/15
to Nathan Dushman, SF2G

Cool. We'll roll slow.

On Apr 17, 2015 6:35 AM, "Nathan Dushman" <n...@abtech.org> wrote:
Forgot to turn on my alarm clock. I'll be one BART back. I know the way, will chase.

Nathan

Hyan Park

Apr 17, 2015, 12:49:31 PM4/17/15
to bec...@beckettmw.com, Nathan Dushman, SF2G
Wow that was gorgeous and was the prettiest sf2g I've done so far. Thanks for calling and showing the way!
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SF2G" group.

Alexandre Passos

Apr 17, 2015, 1:38:51 PM4/17/15
to Hyan Park, bec...@beckettmw.com, Nathan Dushman, SF2G
Great ride.  Thanks Beckett for calling!

I want to do this again.
 - Alexandre

Nathan Dushman

Apr 17, 2015, 1:45:35 PM4/17/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for giving us a chance to catch up. Nice to see all of you!

Nathan

Shane

Apr 17, 2015, 2:41:24 PM4/17/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Great ride Beckett and a great first SF2G ride.  Thanks for calling.

stnvsa

Apr 17, 2015, 8:40:04 PM4/17/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Lovely ride, all. Thanks, Beckett, for calling, and Marion, for the yummy cookies.

Also, special thanks to Nathan for guiding my tardy butt for the first few miles, and for the 2-man TTT to catch the group.

-s

Beckett Madden-Woods

Apr 20, 2015, 12:07:09 AM4/20/15
to stn...@gmail.com, SF2G
Per request, some more photos!
Thanks for a great Friday ride, all. Great to see so many old-timers, first-timers.