Friday 3/15 Middle-East Bay Way - Style 2 - 7:08 San Leandro BART

Kyle B

Mar 14, 2013, 7:36:13 PM3/14/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Looking to get a little dirt in tomorrow morning, casual style 2.  Note, I have never done this route and don't really know where I'm going, but it doesn't look too hard.  Just follow the water til we get to the 2nd bridge, right?

I'll be on the last car of the 6:39 16th street BART going towards Fremont (arriving San Leandro at 7:08).

David Ahn

Mar 14, 2013, 7:41:29 PM3/14/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1, happy to try not to get lost with you.

Nathan Dushman

Mar 14, 2013, 7:46:15 PM3/14/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+0.5, sleep and work dependent. I'd board at Powell. Still undecided about
which bike to bring. If I ride the city bike I'll be a bit slow (especially
on the ~5 miles of road through Hayward); let me know if that's a problem.
Rolling speed on the road is probably 16-17 (versus 20+ on the road bike).

Nathan
> --
> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html | bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub: http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
> ---

Kyle B

Mar 14, 2013, 7:53:57 PM3/14/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I'm in no rush, so speed is open.

I'm bringing an older road bike instead of the city bike, but still want to conserve energy for barway.

David Ahn

Mar 14, 2013, 8:36:32 PM3/14/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
i'm also flexible on speed (i'll be on the fixed-gear, so very fast is in any case not an option).

also, i'll board at civic center (and wrt the other east-bay thread, i'd be open to going a few trains earlier, although i do appreciate the relatively late rollout).

Patrick Kitto

Mar 14, 2013, 11:52:09 PM3/14/13
to n...@abtech.org, sf...@googlegroups.com
HTFU, Dushman. Run what ya brung, and run it fast.

+0.5 if i can wake up. If everyone wants to roll chill i may ride the
track bike to spice things up.

Julien Silland

Mar 15, 2013, 2:06:32 AM3/15/13
to kyle.b...@gmail.com, SF2G
+1 Assuming I get up in time. Never done MEBW before, I'm looking forward to this. I intend board at 16th St. More than happy to make this a chill ride.

Cheers,
-jsi

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM, Kyle B <kyle.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looking to get a little dirt in tomorrow morning, casual style 2.  Note, I have never done this route and don't really know where I'm going, but it doesn't look too hard.  Just follow the water til we get to the 2nd bridge, right?

I'll be on the last car of the 6:39 16th street BART going towards Fremont (arriving San Leandro at 7:08).

Nathan Dushman

Mar 15, 2013, 8:50:32 AM3/15/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Full +1 for me, see you on BART.
From: Julien Silland <jsil...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 23:06:32 -0700
Subject: Re: Friday 3/15 Middle-East Bay Way - Style 2 - 7:08 San Leandro BART

Patrick Kitto

Mar 15, 2013, 8:53:32 AM3/15/13
to n...@abtech.org, sf...@googlegroups.com
-0.5 have fun, y'all.

David Ahn

Mar 15, 2013, 12:47:58 PM3/15/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful route---thanks for calling, Kyle, and for keeping us from getting lost, Nathan!  The Strava-Instagram connection has gotten me using Instagram again:

And I hope your hand's ok for Barway, Kyle ...

RR

Mar 15, 2013, 12:58:15 PM3/15/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys-

I really want to try this sometime soon!  What bikes did you ride and was it doable?  Thoughts on riding this on a carbon road bike with narrow tires?

RR

Mar 15, 2013, 1:02:30 PM3/15/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Just saw your route- that last stretch before the Dumbarton (the finger) is pretty rough and bumpy.  I would think that going straight to Paseo Padre/Thornton and then on to Marshlands would be better/faster on a road bike?

Peter Chang

Mar 15, 2013, 1:07:21 PM3/15/13
to roja...@gmail.com, SF2G
2013/3/15 RR <roja...@gmail.com>:
> Thoughts on riding this on a carbon road bike with narrow tires?

anything short of a tt bike should be fine (and a tt bike would only
suck if you tried to go aero the whole way). i've only ever done it on
23s (hmmmm... maybe once on my fixed mtb w/ slicks) fixed and free are
both easily doable.

\p

Lina Mårtensson

Mar 15, 2013, 1:10:47 PM3/15/13
to Peter Chang, roja...@gmail.com, SF2G
yes, the levees are the first dirt i ever rode on my road bike, and it's very easy to ride on 23s or whathaveyou.

David Ahn

Mar 15, 2013, 1:13:20 PM3/15/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
We had a variety of bikes out today: Nathan was on a hardtail with 1.5" slicks/semi-slicks, I was on a fixed-gear cross bike with Ritchey Speedmax 32s, and Julien and Kyle were on road bikes with slicks (23? 25?).  I think my tire choice probably worked out best, but they all seemed to be ok.

Kyle B

Mar 15, 2013, 2:17:30 PM3/15/13
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, 23s are fine.  Just be careful in the corners!