Serval Chat's first public alpha build

Jeremy Lakeman

Apr 23, 2017, 9:31:16 PM4/23/17
to Serval Project Developers
We've been working on "Serval Chat" since January. A complete reimplementation of the Android front end of Serval's technology stack.

The goal of this project is to build a more modern UI, using up to date development tools. I hope that it is fairly easy to get started using Android Studio and contribute to this project.

Serval Chat has reached a point where it is essentially functionally complete. I'd like to formally invite anyone who is interested in assisting us in any way to try our first alpha build.

Apk for side loading;
http://developer.servalproject.org/files/chat/alpha/ServalChat-alpha-0.01-pre-61-gf144fd98.apk

The play store doesn't allow both alpha and beta testing to be open. So to join our alpha testing via the play store you must be a member of this google group, then you can opt in here;
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/org.servalproject.servalchat

Please provide feedback either by sending emails to this group for general discussions and planning, or by creating issues on github for problems that get in your way.

Jeremy Lakeman

Nov 6, 2017, 2:46:52 AM11/6/17
to Serval Project Developers
Another 6 months and 40 or so commits later and while there are still some glaring UX omissions this app is starting to feel a lot more usable and useful.

So I'd like to invite people again to checkout the latest alpha build, available on the play store via the instructions below. Or you can side load the apk from here;

http://developer.servalproject.org/files/chat/alpha/ServalChat-alpha-0.01-pre-111-ga6daeca9.apk

Kofi Obiri-Yeboah

Mar 27, 2018, 3:18:11 AM3/27/18
to Serval Project Developers
Have successfully run Serval Mesh on my LG-G5.

Decide to try out Serval Chat and it seems to be crashing on me anytime I try to do a Share - it doesn't matter whether using Bluetooth or WiFi

The error message is not clear- it seems to be truncated.
Could someone  please see  if one could decipher what the complete error message is? this is what the screen shows

file:///data/app/org.servalproject.servalchat-1/base.apk exposed bey... CRASH

TIA

Jeremy Lakeman

Mar 27, 2018, 3:34:38 AM3/27/18
to Serval Project Developers
The full stack trace should be written to the android log.

If you hit the "Crash" link, the app should fail. Which should trigger the upload of a full stack trace to the play store for me to review.

Though only the stack trace is uploaded. The android log usually provides more context.

Kofi Obiri-Yeboah

Mar 27, 2018, 3:55:41 AM3/27/18
to serval-proje...@googlegroups.com
@Jeremy

Please note that I run Serval Chat from your last(most recent) version of the built apk

As pe r your suggestion, I did re run the app and clicked on the CRASH link. As expected on my phone I just got the traditional  Unfortinately, Serval Chat has stopped

Open app again

I am setting up a Linux laptop to run the source code later

Cheers

Kofi

Worrying Is Like Paying Interest On A Loan You Are Yet To Take
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Jeremy Lakeman

Mar 27, 2018, 4:49:22 AM3/27/18
to Serval Project Developers

Worrying Is Like Paying Interest On A Loan You Are Yet To Take
Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Kofi Obiri-Yeboah

Mar 28, 2018, 10:47:47 PM3/28/18
to Serval Project Developers
@Jeremy, could you please confirm the exact status of the IoS version of Serval Chat?

I could not locate the app at the App store

While on this topic will it be against the Serval Project policy if one organized some sort of fund raising for the Serval Project developer's team to specifically concentrate on the IoS devlopment?
Unfortunately IoS is outside my ken

Jeremy Lakeman

Mar 28, 2018, 11:41:41 PM3/28/18
to Serval Project Developers
And there's some active work happening in this branch;
https://github.com/servalproject/serval-dna/commits/ios

But progress is slow as we don't currently have any full time developers working on this.

Kofi Obiri-Yeboah

Mar 28, 2018, 11:55:43 PM3/28/18
to Serval Project Developers
@Jeremy,  thanks for the status update.

Now my second question: what is the policy for a third party raising money for some specific activities within the Serval Project.

I am in talks with some potential interested parties to pay for the IoS development specifically. They are interested in an IoS platform and not Android

Paul Gardner-Stephen

Mar 29, 2018, 12:01:11 AM3/29/18
to Serval Project Developers
Hello,

We would welcome any funding to work on IoS, or any other aspect of the Serval Project. This is to everyone's advantage.
However, if you wish to use the Serval Project name in fund raising, you must make it very clear that you are raising funds on your own, without our endorsement or association with us.

Paul.

Paul Gardner-Stephen

Mar 29, 2018, 12:12:15 AM3/29/18
to Serval Project Developers
Hello,

If you raise funds that you wish for us to expend on particular activities, you would do that, and then enter into a research contract with Flinders University stipulating what you want the funds spent on.  The activity would then be run as for any research grant under the University, with the appropriate financial reporting and transparency.

Paul.

Message has been deleted