Job scheduling?

iv...@uchicago.edu

Feb 19, 2018, 1:36:49 PM2/19/18
to Search Guard Community Forum
Hello,
How are the jobs scheduled to ES cluster when multiple users run their jobs?
Does Search Guard do anything for job scheduling or does ES handle it somehow? Or do people integrate ES somehow with a regular scheduler like Slurm?
Thank you,
Igor

Jochen Kressin

Feb 19, 2018, 3:45:11 PM2/19/18
to Search Guard Community Forum
I don't understand this question. To what jobs are you referring to exactly?

Igor Yakushin

Feb 19, 2018, 5:03:35 PM2/19/18
to search...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jochen,
I am coming from a standard HPC environment and not sure that I understand how elastic search behaves when multiple users are trying to query it.
Can, for example, only one query at a time be executed on ES cluster or multiple queries can run simultaneously? Are queries queued until they can run? Can queries be scheduled and request certain amount of resources (like number of nodes, number of threads, memory)?
Thank you,
Igor

Igor Yakushin, Ph.D.
Computational Scientist
Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics, ERC #413
Research Computing Center, room #2
The University of Chicago

Jochen Kressin

Feb 19, 2018, 5:15:45 PM2/19/18
to Search Guard Community Forum
Ok, got you. Well, that's more of a general Elasticsearch question I guess, not so much a Search Guard one. I think you will get the best answer if you post your question on the Elasticsearch forum: https://discuss.elastic.co/

But to answer your question: Elasticsearch is a highly concurrent distributed system. Depending on the sizing and settings of your cluster it is able to handle  massive amounts of requests, including search, index, delete etc. requests, in parallel. It distributes the requests among the nodes and shards in the cluster automatically. One of the strengths of Elasticsearch is its scalability, so it can grow alongside your data or user growth (hence the name Elastic).

There are a number of configurable circuit breakers that you can use to prevent queries from eating up memory or CPU: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/circuit-breaker.html

But I guess you can't set these on a per-request basis. But like I said, the experts on the Elastic forum can probably answer this question in more depth.