New examples

Adam Hughes

Dec 13, 2013, 7:42:58 PM12/13/13
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

The new examples in the gallery look great, and are quite helpful!

I just watched a tutorial from Stefan today (PyData 2012), which was really great:

Perhaps put any videos like this in the gallery as well?

Stéfan van der Walt

Dec 13, 2013, 9:34:38 PM12/13/13
to scikit-image
Hey, Adam

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 2:42 AM, Adam Hughes <hughes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps put any videos like this in the gallery as well?

We could also add links to StackOverflow posts.

Would you mind being our curator, and send a pull request either on
the website repo or on the docs to make this happen?

Thank you!
Stéfan

Adam Hughes

Dec 15, 2013, 3:16:51 PM12/15/13
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Hey Stefan,

I would be happy to try :)

I'm confident I can gather the videos and stack overflow posts, but do you have a sense of where you'd like this information to fit into the website?

In particular, I was thinking it could have either its own category (let's just call it "Outreach" at the moment) at this level:
   http://scikit-image.org/docs/0.9.x/

Or to lump it into the User Guide section, something like:

User Guide:
   -section 1
     -subsection
   - ...

Community:
  - Video tutorials
  - Stack overflow posts

Of course, it could also be bumped down directly into the User Guide:

User Guide:
   -section1
      -subsection
   -...
   - Outreach
      -video tutorials
      -stack overflow
      -mailing list discussions
      -more user examples

I'm thinking user examples would be special links to repos or .ipynb files that aren't on the front page, but are often passed around on the mailing list.

Any feelings about the organization Stefan?

Adam Hughes

Dec 15, 2013, 3:18:30 PM12/15/13
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Actually, it looks like the user guide already has a nice section that might be the right place for this:

François Boulogne

Dec 15, 2013, 4:25:23 PM12/15/13
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Hi !

Nice idea. It's also something I thought about. I have three videos in
my notes:
*
<http://marakana.com/s/post/1101/image_processing_in_python_with_scikits-image_pydata_video>
* <http://vimeo.com/63258721>
* <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqCu6kkPNxU>

Cheers,

--
François Boulogne.
http://www.sciunto.org

Adam Hughes

Dec 16, 2013, 2:12:52 PM12/16/13
to scikit...@googlegroups.com, fbou...@sciunto.org
Thanks Francis!

Stéfan van der Walt

Dec 16, 2013, 9:34:03 PM12/16/13
to scikit-image
On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM, Adam Hughes <hughes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, it looks like the user guide already has a nice section that might
> be the right place for this:
>
> http://scikit-image.org/docs/0.9.x/user_guide/getting_help.html

Another option would be to have a "side scrolling" bar on the top of
the gallery. I.e., we take about 300 pixels at the top to show the
videos, the rest of the page loads the examples. If that's too
complicated, simply linking to the place you mention would be ok.

Stéfan